Linux Gaming FINALLY Doesn't SUCK!

CPotter

Linux gaming never sucked as long as you had Wine installed.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Linux gaming never sucked as long as you had Wine installed.

True, but I think the main problem with that is difficulty. I've used wine on Linux and it's not quite as easy as Proton(and yes I know that Proton is wine).

Skimmed through the video just to check, didn't see any AMD GPUs - a bad thing.

nVidia drivers under Linux suck, they're horrible; whereas the built-in AMDGPU drivers for HD 7000 and newer cards are awesome, and in some cases - in well-ported games - will beat their Windows counterparts. And all you have to do is just... run a modern kernel, maybe add in a flag to your boot options (amdgpu.cik_support=1) and they're running.

Good video. Worth noting there's an unofficial compatibility database that has notes on much more games than the official whitelist: https://spcr.netlify.com/. You can also check it against your steam library which is helpful if you're thinking of migrating.

I have a whole bunch of Hot TakesTM on Easy Anti-Cheat but yeah, there are limitations (security features) in the kernel that mean they'll never be able to work as they do on linux. EAC in particular does detect wine and tries to download an alternate client, most developers don't enable it though.

Also worth seeing:

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/

OpenGL is native, unlike DirectX, and some games do have a hidden Render API switch you can use to enable it.

It's good to see more support from Valve. Unlike some people they seem to be putting their money where their mouth is, and it's nice to see some competition.

So I have still the HiDPI problem on Ubuntu.

Main monitor: 4k

Second monitor: 1080p

I would to use Ubuntu as my main OS for gaming and productive stuff but the HiDPI scaling is just awful.

Windows has the setting to scale each monitor individual and I love this setting but on Ubuntu my eyes get hurt.

2 minutes ago, SirMorokei said:

So I have still the HiDPI problem on Ubuntu.

Main monitor: 4k

Second monitor: 1080p

I would to use Ubuntu as my main OS for gaming and productive stuff but the HiDPI scaling is just awful.

Windows has the setting to scale each monitor individual and I love this setting but on Ubuntu my eyes get hurt.

Ubuntu uses GNOME so you'd using something like

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface scaling-factor 2

to scale your interface. 2 can be any whole number. You can also check Text Size under Universal Access.

1 minute ago, mal said:

Ubuntu uses GNOME so you'd using something like

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface scaling-factor 2

to scale your interface. 2 can be any whole number. You can also check Text Size under Universal Access.

Tried it and then on my 1080p monitor the interface is also 2x

1 minute ago, SirMorokei said:

Tried it and then on my 1080p monitor the interface is also 2x

Ah, That's unfortunate. It seems like GNOME only supports per-display scaling with some experimental Wayland features, which I have no experience in but I believe is relatively early-stage. You can set per-application scaling but I assume that's not alright with you.

1 minute ago, mal said:

Ah, That's unfortunate. It seems like GNOME only supports per-display scaling with some experimental Wayland features, which I have no experience in but I believe is relatively early-stage. You can set per-application scaling but I assume that's not alright with you.

Yeah I want a feature like in windows. I would definitely prefer the per-monitor scaling from windows

I don't like Steam though, so will continue playing my GoG games that have native GNU/Linux support.

2 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

WINE is problematic and limited.

Pretty big blanket statement. It does what its job is; it's just that its job doesn't include a lot of things Steam Play gives you. Microsoft Word isn't bad because it doesn't organise your files for you.

As noted by Doitsujin, the creator of DXVK, 390.48 is not okay "for god's sake!"

For best and fullest experience you'll have to add some PPAs that contain the absolute latest NVidia drivers, for example if you're on Ubuntu, https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/+archive/ubuntu/dev

But it is true that as of late, the driver support on Linux has picked up significantly for NVidia (Although it was always good for AMD, which directly contributes to the open-source ones), even going as far as to add optimizations specifically benefiting DXVK.

"Doesn't suck" =/= "is perfect"

The video does capture the state of gaming on Linux quite well, and we got a few new toys sponsored by Valve to play around with.

I'm feeling quite optimistic about this.

The fact that you require like 3 different workarounds to get things to run with worse performance than windows still means it sucks.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

*Native* gaming in Linux is just fine, anytime you have to employ workarounds or WINE, you're gonna have issues.

Tell me, Windows folk, how many work arounds do you have to implement to get Diablo 1 working?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

15 minutes ago, Enderman said:

The fact that you require like 3 different workarounds to get things to run with worse performance than windows still means it sucks.

Newer Nvidia drivers and DXVK performance increase performance. GTV V is supposed to be running with 90% of the Windows 10 performance. There is a shader cache in the works. Preliminary numbers show a 10% average FPS gain on Arkham Knight with the minimum FPS doubling.

If the Vulkan drivers and DXVK keep advancing, the graphical performance on SteamOS could surpass that of native Windows. At that point, I suspect that Valve would start shipping DXVK to people running Windows 10 so that graphics driver developers would be further incentivized to improve their SPIR-V compilers.

If the 10% performance increase from the shader cache seen in Arkham Knight also occurs in GTA V, SteamOS with the latest Nvidia driver would perform at parity with Windows and its Direct3D 11 implementation. 

3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

*Native* gaming in Linux is just fine, anytime you have to employ workarounds or WINE, you're gonna have issues.

Tell me, Windows folk, how many work arounds do you have to implement to get Diablo 1 working?

You can't really compare this. It's the same with consoles. You just can't play PS1 games on a PS4 console without a workaround (ps store classics version).

Software will always be unsupported on new Operating systems.

I'm not a active linux user but I would bet that there are unsupported applications on newer linux operating systems too.

2 minutes ago, ryao said:

If

Big if.

90% performance is still worse performance.

You'll never get 100% if you have to use something like wine or a VM.

Until all games are coded to run natively it will always be objectively worse, no matter how little or much.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

Big if.

Until all games are coded to run natively it will always be objectively worse, no matter how little or much.

Well, yeah. Obviously. But if more games run through wine, more people will use linux so more devs will develop for linux.

3 minutes ago, SirMorokei said:

You can't really compare this. It's the same with consoles. You just can't play PS1 games on a PS4 console without a workaround (ps store classics version).

Software will always be unsupported on new Operating systems.

I'm not a active linux user but I would bet that there are unsupported applications on newer linux operating systems too.

The Linux kernel supports running userland software from the early days of Linux. You just need all of the old libraries and a kernel built with the compatobility bits for ancient libc versions. I suspect that many distributions ship kernels with those turned on, but I wouldneed to check.

1 minute ago, ryao said:

The Linux kernel supports running userland software from the early days of Linux. You just need all of the old libraries and a kernel built with the compatobility bits for ancient libc versions. I suspect that many distributions ship kernels with those turned on, but I wouldneed to check.

Could be but that's the point. You always need to use a workaround to run outdated versions of a software.

It's not like you install an outdated software and it works perfectly fine. You also need to install old versions libc etc. to get the software to run on the newer operating system.

As I said I'm not an active linux user so I could be wrong.

Any idea what TV that is? That input lag is so minimal, I've been looking for a TV like that

11 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Big if.

You are right but if you have 100fps on windows and on ubuntu 90fps I would still go with linux. Sure I need to mess around with some Wine stuff but I don't have the annoying windows crap.

Your statements reminds me of these ppl who complain about that they have "only" 190fps instead of 200fps.

4 minutes ago, SirMorokei said:

You are right but if you have 100fps on windows and on ubuntu 90fps I would still go with linux. Sure I need to mess around with some Wine stuff but I don't have the annoying windows crap.

Your statements reminds me of these ppl who complain about that they have "only" 190fps instead of 200fps.

There are many other drawbacks than just fps.

Anything from installation procedure to non-game program compatibility.

Also, point is 190fps is not the same as 200fps.

if you're ok with 190fps then why aren't you ok with 180fps?

If you're ok with 1080fps why aren't you ok with 170fps?

If you're ok with 30fps why aren't you ok with 20fps?

Spoiler