NCIX Data breach 2018

SirRemog
Message added by vanished

This is the thread on this news story.  If you see other threads popping up about it, please report them and ask for them to be merged in here.  Don't bother commenting on them.

tenor.gif?itemid=7760807

You dun fucked up real good Wu, if anyone gets screwed over by this you gonna get bent over

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

6 hours ago, James Evens said:

Common issue when computer get sold/liquidation. A bigger issues are scanner/printer with hard drives.

I work in a situation where we manage and work on bulk clients, ordering in the 20k-40k unit range. Laptops mostly.

I can say, when a specific model is liquidated, we go through them and completely wipe everything before hand. These systems use SSD's or in the case of chromebooks, built-in Flash storage. We have to keep records verifying which units were wiped, and which were not (because they were damaged and would not power on).

Although I cannot speak for smaller customers, as these are somewhat large government entities.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

5 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Can you really call this a breach though?

It may not be a breach of their systems in technical terms, but it is a breach of consumer protections and data handling. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

16 minutes ago, Cthulhu Calamari said:

Is this meant to be helpful in some way? This wasn't some fan forum; it was a commercial retail outlet. You can't not give personal information for online transactions, especially if you didn't live in a city with an NCIX pickup location, as they have to mail it somewhere.

I sincerely hope you've reported this to the Privacy Commissioner. If not, here you go: https://www.priv.gc.ca/en/report-a-concern/

Well Stuff like don't give you Social Insurance Number to a e-tailer, Don't store your payment information on a e-tailer's web site.

Right now If you did business with NCIX I would be calling my credit card provider and letting them know.

This should be common sense, but unfortunately common sense isn't common.

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:
5 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Can you really call this a breach though?

It may not be a breach of their systems in technical terms, but it is a breach of consumer protections and data handling. 

... including provincial, state and federal privacy laws.

1 minute ago, Tannah said:

Well Stuff like don't give you Social Insurance Number to a e-tailer, Don't store your payment information on a e-tailer's web site.

Customers didn't. Employees, on the other hand, don't have this luxury. Included in the information was data for everyone who worked for and with the company, possibly for the better part of 2 decades. They got straight boned by this breach, and there is literally nothing they could have done to prevent it. (Except, of course, for whatever dipshit was responsible for their IT security...)

I say this every time there's a breach like this of some kind, but the "system" is completely broken.  The problem isn't the fact that this stuff leaked, but the fact that leaking it is a problem.  Things like address, phone number, etc. are "public" information (ie, you have to give them to others to interact with the world) and thus should be treated as such (ie, with them alone you can't do anything meaningful).  But for whatever completely insane and asinine reason, these kinds of info bit are used as unique and private identifiers, etc. and that's where the problem starts.  This world is structured like an encryption scheme where you give out your private key regularly and hope it doesn't fall into the wrong hands.  It's completely fucked.

None of that exempts NCIX or the people who've handled the bankruptcy for them in the slightest though.  This is criminal negligence on a colossal scale - both the level of incompetence necessary, and the negative impact that has come as a result.  This really is as bad as it gets.  The only way it could be worse is if more people were affected.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I was about to make a post about it, but I'm glad somebody else did.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

I bet someone on this forum have their hands on one of these databases.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

And I was very close to buying something from them back in the day once. ?

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

12 hours ago, Rune said:

Huh, so maybe those boxes containing records in @LinusTech ncix video were actually up for auction....

Yeah i remember that... they said to shread

12 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Yah no one actually gives a fuck about your data.

Ever heard of social engineering or identity theft?  Maybe credit card fraud?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, iKingRPG said:

Maybe it will be on wan show??

I think that's a pretty safe assumption xD  I see Linus himself in the active users right now, and he was on earlier too...

NCIX should at least have encrypting the most important files for f sake

NCIX not paying rent and then just proceed to abandon the servers. Zero shits given

the landlord then starts to sell the data to make up for lost rent money. What an entrepreneur 

the people responsible for the banckrupcy didn't care that there were servers and data in possession of a 3rd party. They should have know for f sake, inventories and all that

the employees and the owner couldn't care less either. Who cares right *facepalm* if i understood correctly the not paying rent is still prior to the closing, so they are all on NCIS for blame, morally and for sure legally.