Sony Announces The PlayStation Classic

Sony has just announced they will be releasing a classic edition of the original PlayStation. It will come with 20 games, 2 controllers and be available on the 3rd December for $100, €100, AUD$150. I hope they give it Bluetooth and make it compatible with the dualshock 4 so i don't have to buy the inevitable 8bitdo wireless controller.

the company just announced the PlayStation Classic, a small retro console that comes bundled with a range of the original console’s best/most popular games.

It’ll be out on December 3 in the US, Canada, Europe, Japan and Australia,

The PlayStation Classic will include two original PS1 controllers and a HDMI cable, and cost US$99.99 (€99.99 in Europe, AUD$150 in Australia).

The 5 games they have confirmed will be on the system are;

• Final Fantasy VII
  • Jumping Flash
  • Ridge Racer Type 4
  • Tekken 3
  • Wild Arms

I can't wait to replay FF7 and ridge racer.

cyshrvf9eqtuytl92kwe.thumb.jpg.67686bfd631453db19a6e58694aed735.jpgiob8lfdrdlbzyvgpaxvm.jpg.361c57e671296136fdf67b0f0b7aab16.jpgwvukrhlays8nmn48onmd.jpg.5c61f7e7b3332fcbaf59ac415dc2a005.jpgb2msdyeapd7vzmayeyrj.thumb.jpg.5c2cd3c7f11f50b8af9a7b8c305d2533.jpg

Images and quotes taken from Kotaku

https://kotaku.com/sony-just-announced-the-99-playstation-classic-console-1829159574

$100? no.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

This is WOW. did they found few left in their warehouse? xD  I really want to hear about this in WAN show this Friday. xDxDxD 

Lordy, everyone's cashing in on the nostalgia. Thankfully I wasn't born yet when the Playstation release, so there's no nostalgia to compel me to buy one.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

Does it use actual discs? :o 

Edit - nevermind watched the video.. Open button is to change "virtual disk". I'll save the $100 and just use an emulator then, lol.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

I know that my friends won't care. they've still got their original PS1, though 1 needs a new power cord.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

15 minutes ago, SuperCloneRanger said:

I hope they give it Bluetooth and make it compatible with the dualshock 4 so i don't have to buy the inevitable 8bitdo wireless controller.

whats wrong w/ the og dualshock? 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

Excellent, so we can all relive the first generation 3D goodness once again. /S

Seriously though, PS1, Saturn & N64 are all really bad periods in gaming graphics wise and engine wise. Graphics were blocky, textures were ugly but most importantly no one had figured out how to do 3D cameras properly yet.

Classic 16 bit works so well because it was the apex of 2D, all classic 32 bit will achieve is showing everyone how bad games were during the 2D/3D transition period.

I'm guessing they'll include Crash Bandicoot with this, I feel it kind of needs a Tomb Raider and Resident Evil game too. THPS2 would be amazing but also impossible. Driver would also be cool. Cool Boarders.

Let's hear some suggestions on which games you'd like to see.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Seriously though, PS1, Saturn & N64 are all really bad periods in gaming graphics wise and engine wise. Graphics were blocky, textures were ugly but most importantly no one had figured out how to do 3D cameras properly yet.

And still most of my favorite games are from that generation :). I still play most of them regularly using ePSXe, though tbh the ability to speed the games up has made me unable to play them on my PS2, too frustratingly slow lol.

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

so i take it you have not played 

• Spyro 1/2/3
  • Gran Turismo /2
  • Castlevania Symphony of the night 
  • Driver 2
  • The Final fantasy everyone likes 
  • Silent hill 
  • Tekken 2/3 
  • Street Fighter Alpha 3

etc...

yes the games look low poly and in most cases are , but they dont always look bad or are bad games because "blocky graphics" 
heck, Homeworld (cataclysm) , a year 199 (2000) Space RTS is still one of the best games in that genere w/ an amazing story to date and it looks like THIS 

Bildergebnis für homeworld cataclysm

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

Wish they just reuse the regular PS1 case and make a model that accepts PS1 disks and peripherals and then upscale all the graphics to 2k

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Just now, leadeater said:

And still most of my favorite games are from that generation :). I still play most of them regularly using ePSXe, though tbh the ability to speed the games up has made me unable to play them on my PS2, too frustratingly slow lol.

Yeah, I actually kind of agree with you. PS1 had some amazing games for sure, it's not the PlayStation that is at fault, it's just the graphics from the generation aged horribly.

I can see nostalgia for those of us old enough to have played them at the time but I don't it having the mass appeal of classic 16 bit. Could you imagine what today's teenagers would make of 32 bit graphics and cameras?

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

14 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

whats wrong w/ the og dualshock? 

I've got used to wireless controllers, and not tripping people up as they pass is always good.

8 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

so i take it you have not played 

• Spyro 1/2/3
  • Gran Turismo /2
  • Castlevania Symphony of the night 
  • Driver 2
  • The Final fantasy everyone likes 
  • Silent hill 
  • Tekken 2/3 
  • Street Fighter Alpha 3

etc...

yes the games look low poly and in most cases are , but they dont always look bad or are bad games because "blocky graphics" 
heck, Homeworld (cataclysm) , a year 199 (2000) Space RTS is still one of the best games in that genere w/ an amazing story to date and it looks like THIS 

Bildergebnis für homeworld cataclysm

Now feed that analogue 480i signal into a digital converter and send it out to a 43" 1080p screen and tell me it still looks as good.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying PS1 games are bad, far from it. Some of my all time favourite games came out on PS1.

I'm saying 32 bit is a bad period for gaming. The games haven't aged gracefully at all.

18 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Excellent, so we can all relive the first generation 3D goodness once again. /S

Classic 16 bit works so well because it was the apex of 2D, all classic 32 bit will achieve is showing everyone how bad games were during the 2D/3D transition period.

I'm guessing they'll include Crash Bandicoot with this, I feel it kind of needs a Tomb Raider and Resident Evil game too. THPS2 would be amazing but also impossible.

Yeah. HD remakes/recodes would be nice. Anything that fixes the camera. Releasing as is, is poor form IMO.

Sony seems to be trying to gain back some of it's lost reputation

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

29 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

It's just an emulation console like The NES and SNES classics to the Neo Geo X Gold.  

Then it's no fun...... 

8 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Now feed that analogue 480i signal into a digital converter and send it out to a 43" 1080p screen and tell me it still looks as good.

you know that, starting on the PS3, you could set the scaling for ps1 games?

expect that sorta thing on the PS1C, you know whats worse than 480i?  256x224p aka Composite (nes , snes , n64 AND ps1) 

PSU Tier list

6 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

The correct answer is 3 for the Americans, but is known as 6 in Japan for the SNES and PS1!

When you can measure Final Fantasy numbers is both metric and imperial xD.

Honestly though I've played a hell of a lot more of 7 than I have of 6, I did play 7 before 6 though but I just like the materia system better. I think I may have played more of 8 than 6 but it would be close on that one. 6-9 I enjoyed equally but I play more of 7 and 9 than any of the others.

Still gameplay wise LoD takes the win for me, easily. The combo system was just so fun.

Edit:

FYI it was also 6 for everyone else too, or at least PAL regions like me.

5 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

you know that, starting on the PS3, you could set the scaling for ps1 games?

expect that sorta thing on the PS1C, you know whats worse than 480i?  256x224p aka Composite (nes , snes , n64 AND ps1) 

I'd doubt very much that whatever SBC they use in the thing will support any kind of scaling. I actually play PS1 games on my Ras Pi 3+ and it struggles with some games at native resolution. You have to use hacks just to play most games at 60 FPS.

At £100 for the entire unit I would doubt they're using anything as strong as a LattePanda, maybe something equivalent to an ODroid?

Looks like it uses a different connector for the controller. Which sucks, a genuine 1:1 reproduction of the original controller would have been rad

As for the console itself....meh.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

Anyone else notice the video says "20 games preloaded"? Does that mean Sony will support loading images OOTB?

Glad to see Sony has such original ideas. Take a retro console, shrink it, emulate it, add HDMI, ???, profit. Heck they even cloned Nintendo's naming scheme x'D

Plus side to this is that this seems to have some third party titles. Con side is that FFVII, the one title on that list that's going to matter to most people, is available in a remaster on pretty much every console out there.

I really hope they have some better titles on it. I'm sure it will sell, but the reason that the NES classic and SNES classic sold so well was because there were games that people might actually want to play.

36 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

The correct answer is 3 for the Americans, but is known as 6 in Japan for the SNES and PS1!

I'm pretty sure you mean that the best Final Fantasy game is Secret of Mana. Get it right xP