*What is this? Some kind of ssd?

zindan
1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

You need an M.2 slot on your mobo, but I'm not sure if there is an adapter.  But yea, it's a type of SSD.  I think nvmes are faster, and it would improve read/write speeds/boot times if the boot drive/load time/etc.

Oh wow, sounds useful! I might get one of these.  

Will my motherboard support it ? z370 f- gaming 

That's an NVME SSD, unless you do 4K video editing or similar you won't gave any gain in going from that from a decent SATA SSD. Load times barely improve and you get much less capacity for your money. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4 minutes ago, zindan said:

Oh wow, sounds useful! I might get one of these.  

Will my motherboard support it ? z370 f- gaming 

yes, Picture

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

3 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

That's an NVME SSD, unless you do 4K video editing or similar you won't gave any gain in going from that from a decent SATA SSD. Load times barely improve and you get much less capacity for your money. 

Interesting, if you tell the truth I am very impressed. 

Although @valdyrgramr tells me that the performance will increase in the following ways: 

8 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

I think nvmes are faster, and it would improve read/write speeds/boot times if the boot drive/load time/etc.

So @Bananasplit_00 
You understand my situation right now. You are speaking against each other and I don't know which one is right. How do I tell which one is more righteous ? 

Thanks.

Well, it is faster, but at the same time, it's not a lot either so @Bananasplit_00 is correct in the sense it isn't really worth it unless you're doing video editing or other professional tasks.  It would be better to get a large capacity good SSD than an nvme if you aren't doing anything professional like that.

It actually is a noticable difference going from a 500GB 850 Evo as boot to a 250GB 970 Evo as boot, but I agree it's not worth it unless you're going super high end like I did

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Well, it is faster, but at the same time, it's not a lot either so @Bananasplit_00 is correct in the sense it isn't really worth it unless you're doing video editing or other professional tasks.  It would be better to get a large capacity good SSD than an nvme if you aren't doing anything professional like that.

Thank you, I will not get a nvm. Appreciate the honesty. 

Interesting piece of tech though.

1 minute ago, zindan said:

Thank you, I will not get a nvm. Appreciate the honesty. 

Interesting piece of tech though.

For the price of a 256GB nVME you can get a good 500GB SATA or a cheap 1TB SATA SSD or (best value storage solution) a 500GB Crucial MX500/Samsung 850/860 Evo and a 2TB HDD

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

6 minutes ago, zindan said:

Interesting, if you tell the truth I am very impressed. 

Although @valdyrgramr tells me that the performance will increase in the following ways: 

So @Bananasplit_00 
You understand my situation right now. You are speaking against each other and I don't know which one is right. How do I tell which one is more righteous ? 

Thanks.

You look at benchmarks and compare what we said. Neither of us is WRONG as it will improve performance in some tasks a bit but if it's worth it is an opinion

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016