MSI afterburner and power limit

Go to solution Solved by Wh0_Am_1,
24 minutes ago, Rothhaus said:

Hello, I just recently got a gtx 1080 and i've just downloaded MSI afterburner, im kinda new to it so I dont really know what im doing which is why im here. My question is, is it harmful to the card if i turn the power limit up by 20% and what exactly will it do, will it give me more fps in games?

Udklip.PNG

At high temps PCBs consume more power, and are power throttled to keep temps under control especially when OC'ed this allows the card to reach it's full potential, this allows for you cards to reap more performance, and reach higher clocks, and due to the fact that the card still controls how much power it uses, as long as you do not tamper with the voltage there is little to no threat of burning the card out. Now as you will achieve higher temps more regularly when this is on, this settings will put additional wear and tear upon the card, and depending on how you use it, even shorten the overall lifespan by a few years, but chances are it will be in a bin, or a dump before that occurs anyway.

Hello, I just recently got a gtx 1080 and i've just downloaded MSI afterburner, im kinda new to it so I dont really know what im doing which is why im here. My question is, is it harmful to the card if i turn the power limit up by 20% and what exactly will it do, will it give me more fps in games?

Udklip.PNG

i would not do that. What model card do you have?

I'd set a +100 on the CPU and run a stress test.

Kombustor is a good stress test.

7 minutes ago, Rothhaus said:

Udklip.PNG

To put it simply, increasing the power limit increases the amount of power it can receive. Unless you're overclocking and/or you know what you're doing, it's best not to mess with that.

24 minutes ago, Rothhaus said:

Udklip.PNG

At high temps PCBs consume more power, and are power throttled to keep temps under control especially when OC'ed this allows the card to reach it's full potential, this allows for you cards to reap more performance, and reach higher clocks, and due to the fact that the card still controls how much power it uses, as long as you do not tamper with the voltage there is little to no threat of burning the card out. Now as you will achieve higher temps more regularly when this is on, this settings will put additional wear and tear upon the card, and depending on how you use it, even shorten the overall lifespan by a few years, but chances are it will be in a bin, or a dump before that occurs anyway.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!