TCL TV Won't Recognize HDMI 2.0 Signal from PC

Go to solution Solved by TheFlyingTraut,

TCL does have all 3 HDMI ports running 2.0 and the ARC port runs 2.2. TCL makes very good budget televisions. They have been around for about 25 years now, just not in the American market. I do not consider them an "off-brand". We sold a lot of those with very good success and customer satisfaction. Rtings even rates it the best budget tv. You made a good purchase. Also go into the tv settings and make sure the ports are set to display the 4k/60. I had to even change my HDMI control settings on my Sony XBR850D tv. Could just be a little issue like that.

Update graphics card drivers, and also try different ports?

I'm running an HDMI 2.0 cable from my PC running an RX 580 to my 55" TCL 4K Tv. The pc will recognize the signal at 4K 60Hz but when I switch the input on my TV to HDMI 2.0 it can't find the signal. There's an older thread regarding the exact same issue but no solution was ever posted. Seriously, can anyone shed light on this?

26 minutes ago, AtomGenesis said:

I'm running an HDMI 2.0 cable from my PC running an RX 580 to my 55" TCL 4K Tv. The pc will recognize the signal at 4K 60Hz but when I switch the input on my TV to HDMI 2.0 it can't find the signal. There's an older thread regarding the exact same issue but no solution was ever posted. Seriously, can anyone shed light on this?

According to their support website, it should work with a PS4 or Xbox One at 4K 60Hz, but maybe there's an incompatibility between the TV and your RX 580. If it's still not working properly with your PC, but you can test it with another device, I'd contact TCL support to troubleshoot.

https://support.tclusa.com/20272-roku/268433-will-my-xbox-one-x-play-in-4k-60hz/

https://support.tclusa.com/20272-roku/209214-will-my-ps4-pro-play-in-4k-60hz

EDIT: According to this thread, it looks like this was (or still is) a known issue on at least some of their TV models

https://community.playstation.com/content/pdc/us/en_US/pdc-communities/support/Consoles-Peripherals.topic.html/ps4_pro_not_detectin-rb26.html

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

3 minutes ago, kirashi said:

According to their support website, it should work with a PS4 or Xbox One at 4K 60Hz, but maybe there's an incompatibility between the TV and your RX 580. If it's still not working properly with your PC, but you can test it with another device, I'd contact TCL support to troubleshoot.

https://support.tclusa.com/20272-roku/268433-will-my-xbox-one-x-play-in-4k-60hz/

https://support.tclusa.com/20272-roku/209214-will-my-ps4-pro-play-in-4k-60hz

I see. That would be an utter shame if it was just an incompatibility issue. I guess that's the price to pay for using a TV as a monitor. Thank you very much for your insight and quick response,

6 minutes ago, AtomGenesis said:

I see. That would be an utter shame if it was just an incompatibility issue. I guess that's the price to pay for using a TV as a monitor. Thank you very much for your insight and quick response,

Actually it's the price you pay for buying an off-brand TV. Not trying to sound snarky here; being honest, I was one of the few Canadians who took advantage of buying a Vizio TV before they became a known brand, and had similar issues with their smartTV apps when they were brand new. The reality is that a lot of these lesser expensive brands do make good products, but have odd quirks like only supporting HDMI 2.0a instead of 2.0b, for example.

I'd definitely get in touch with them and see if there is a known issue with the differing versions of HDMI 2.0, and also check into the RX 580 and drivers to see if there's just a simple setting you need to change somewhere.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

TCL does have all 3 HDMI ports running 2.0 and the ARC port runs 2.2. TCL makes very good budget televisions. They have been around for about 25 years now, just not in the American market. I do not consider them an "off-brand". We sold a lot of those with very good success and customer satisfaction. Rtings even rates it the best budget tv. You made a good purchase. Also go into the tv settings and make sure the ports are set to display the 4k/60. I had to even change my HDMI control settings on my Sony XBR850D tv. Could just be a little issue like that.

21 hours ago, TheFlyingTraut said:

I updated my GPU driver and it worked! I thought I was already up to date but i guess not. Thank you so much!

Hey hey, glad to know it was a simple fix. Be happy with that TV man, TCL makes the best sub $600 tv's for 55", period.

I guess, it is the problem of graphics card driver compatibility. I have encountered similar problems before. Later, after replacing the driver, TCL TV is not the best choice for the monitor. It is not good for our eyes.