Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

NVMe, PCIe card, multiple drives, X99 chipset

I need some help finding an NVMe to PCIe card with the option to have multiple NVMe drives attached to the PCIe card. It needs to work on the X99 platform (ASUS X99-E WS specifically with Samsung 960 Pro drives). I am looking for cards with the option to attach multiple NVMe drives, not single drive cards. I found this card from ASUS, but it seems to support only X299 (https://www.asus.com/Motherboard-Accessory/HYPER-M-2-X16-CARD/). The card/drives are to be used for video editing, virtual machines etc. The drives needs to show up in Windows as individual drives. No boot is needed from the card. RAID would be a nice option, but certainly not necessary.

Even though the above card officially seems to support only X299, has anyone tried this card on an X99 board?

Thanks

I have two Hyper M.2 cards in my x99 system and can confirm they will not work as intended. I am only able to see one x4 NVMe drive per card when fully populated with 8 NVMe drives. PCI-e bifurcation is required to split out the x16 into x4x4x4x4 which according to my motherboard manufacturer "it's not working,". However I've seen somewhere online that someone has PCI-e bifurcation working on another x99 platform. 

To then get a RAID volume for the two (or eight if you have a motherboard which supports x4x4x4x4 PCI-e operation and two fully populated cards) you need either VROC or whatever AMD call theirs. I've just used Windows to create a RAID0 volume since my system does not have either. 

You also need to consider the amount of PCI-e lanes available to you on the CPU. My system only has 28, so with two Hyper M.2 cards fully populated I would be at 32 PCIe lanes, meaning only 7 would be recognised, and I would be without a GPU. 

Thanks a bunch. I never heard about bifurcation before. I am using a 40-lane CPU, so I belive the lane issue should be covered. In addition the MB I am using has PLX chips on it and the MB has official 4-way x 16x GPU support out of the box. There seems to not be much info available on bifurcation for the X99 platform. Nothing definite on supported or not. There certainly is nothing of it in the manual, and I have been unable to find any specifics on ASUS' site.

Does anyone know what to look for, in order to verify support for bifurcation?

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
On 11/30/2019 at 8:35 PM, Monstieur said:

X99 boards can be BIOS modded to support PCIe bifurcation.

did this BIOS ever get modded for the purposes of OP's post?  (im in the same boat)

..or, just having a single NVME drive running over PCIE?  I've tried my multi-adapter and it doesn`t work, but perhaps a single PCIE caddy adapter for M.2 would work..any ideas?

2 hours ago, Snappy_Darko said:

did this BIOS ever get modded for the purposes of OP's post?  (im in the same boat)

..or, just having a single NVME drive running over PCIE?  I've tried my multi-adapter and it doesn`t work, but perhaps a single PCIE caddy adapter for M.2 would work..any ideas?

Single drives will work. It may not be bootable if the UEFI doesn't support NVMe - all X79 and some X99 board's don't. However, they can be easily BIOS modded to add NVMe boot support.

22 hours ago, Monstieur said:

Single drives will work. It may not be bootable if the UEFI doesn't support NVMe - all X79 and some X99 board's don't. However, they can be easily BIOS modded to add NVMe boot support.

thing is i dont need to boot form it, just using it as storage for games. This is my setup - https://imgur.com/a/EofZ5Oz

as far as i can tell, it should be just plug and play. But when i turn the PC the other hard drives dissapear, only leaving this new drive.  Once it had all drives at onces, but then when i rebooted it went back to just on drive. Also each time i start teh PC again with the new drive in the caddy i linked, the pc freezes for like 30 seconds then when it becomes unfrozen the new NVMe needs reformating again. NVMe keeps reverting to RAW.  When i remove the PCIe device all the drives return.  Problem with the new NVMe/PCIe converter

It's probably

2 hours ago, Snappy_Darko said:

thing is i dont need to boot form it, just using it as storage for games. This is my setup - https://imgur.com/a/EofZ5Oz

as far as i can tell, it should be just plug and play. But when i turn the PC the other hard drives dissapear, only leaving this new drive.  Once it had all drives at onces, but then when i rebooted it went back to just on drive. Also each time i start teh PC again with the new drive in the caddy i linked, the pc freezes for like 30 seconds then when it becomes unfrozen the new NVMe needs reformating again. NVMe keeps reverting to RAW.  When i remove the PCIe device all the drives return.  Problem with the new NVMe/PCIe converter

Disable CSM in the UEFI. If that doesn't work, try modding the BIOS to add NVMe boot support. It shouldn't be required, but correct detection of the NVMe drive in the UEFI may resolve the freezing issue.

https://www.win-raid.com/t871f50-Guide-How-to-get-full-NVMe-support-for-all-Systems-with-an-AMI-UEFI-BIOS.html

It could also be the adapter - try a different one.

10 hours ago, Monstieur said:

It's probably

Disable CSM in the UEFI. If that doesn't work, try modding the BIOS to add NVMe boot support. It shouldn't be required, but correct detection of the NVMe drive in the UEFI may resolve the freezing issue.

https://www.win-raid.com/t871f50-Guide-How-to-get-full-NVMe-support-for-all-Systems-with-an-AMI-UEFI-BIOS.html

It could also be the adapter - try a different one.

HI, thank you for the help. So ive not disabled the CSM before and i get this warning image.thumb.png.1970a8347eb22e6dfd0a7d5e427b9810.png

it won't compromise any of my drives will it?  if there's a chance any of my drives can't be retrieved as a result i wont do  it.

EDIT:  Just tried disabling CSM, but it renders all my drives (including the drive with OS on) invisble, and i just get thrown back into the BIOS until i render CSM enabled. Have no idea how to proceed. Literally just want to use this NVMe drive i bought. 

Your OS is probably installed in legacy BIOS mode. You need to convert it to boot from UEFI (CSM off). The Windows disk should appear and be bootable after conversion to GPT.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024558/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html

With CSM on, the UEFI is probably trying to initialize the new SSD in legacy mode. It's possible this isn't working correctly and it's causing the freezing / corruption. Either way, this problem won't occur with CSM off. The Windows drive not appearing with CSM off is a different problem - the disk needs to be converted to GPT.