Why so many Windows 10 Pro versions?

hotbrass

Why are there so many versions of Windows 10 Pro?  I have a bunch of computers running all kinds of version of Win 10 Pro and I want to try to consolidate on one version.  Two of my computers are running 1809, the rest are running the other versions of Win 10 Pro.

I have been letting them update themselves prior to about May 2018 when I stopped automatic updates.  Now I want to make a decision on what version I want and I want it on all my computers.

Any insight and advice is greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

7 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Why wouldn't you want to update them all to the newest, most secure version?

Well lets take a look at my first question.  Why are there so many versions?  I assume that Win 10 Pro versions 1703 and 1809 are just as secure in their updates. 

And is there in advantage to staying with one version over another?  Pros?  Cons?

3 minutes ago, hotbrass said:

Well lets take a look at my first question.  Why are there so many versions?  I assume that Win 10 Pro versions 1703 and 1809 are just as secure in their updates. 

And is there in advantage to staying with one version over another?  Pros?  Cons?

Features, securities, and more hidden features for privacy harvest. 

Every 6 months, Microsoft pushes out a feature update. Usually every spring and fall.

1809 is suppose to come out this October....so I have no idea how you manage to get two machines to have it already. 

Current latest version is 1803

6 minutes ago, hotbrass said:

They are the versions....

It's like upgrading from android 8 to android 9, there are improvements, new features, bug fixes, etc.

Obviously the larger number is the newer one.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

With all the other variables that can come up when trying to get something to work on a computer, I just keep things updated once I know the latest patch isn't going to blow anything up.  It's more secure too.

Unless you have some hardware or software that needs the older versions to work, I'd just update.

7 minutes ago, hotbrass said:

Why are there so many versions of Windows 10 Pro?  I have a bunch of computers running all kinds of version of Win 10 Pro and I want to try to consolidate on one version.  Two of my computers are running 1809, the rest are running the other versions of Win 10 Pro.

I have been letting them update themselves prior to about May 2018 when I stopped automatic updates.  Now I want to make a decision on what version I want and I want it on all my computers.

Any insight and advice is greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

Because Microsoft rolls out patches and updates in staggered releases to prevent mass overload of both the update servers and your internet connection through your ISP. If everyone were to download the same updates at the same time, it's possible that it could cripple internet backbone connections globally, similarly to how Apple's iPhone activation server was overloaded during previous iPhone launches.

You can manually force Windows 10 to update by using the Windows 10 Update Assistant from Microsoft's website if you desire.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/3159635/windows-10-update-assistant

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

5 minutes ago, itsmyjobtoknow said:

Every 6 months, Microsoft pushes out a feature update. Usually every spring and fall.

1809 is suppose to come out this October....so I have no idea how you manage to get two machines to have it already. 

Current latest version is 1803

Yes, all the versions have me confused, I mean 1803.

If the latest version(soon to be 1809) is better than earlier versions, then why doesn't MS force the latest version on all machines instead of rolling out updates to older versions?  They seem to force everything else.  Pros?  Cons?

I'm not against change, I am looking for why?

7 minutes ago, hotbrass said:

If the latest version(soon to be 1809) is better than earlier versions, then why doesn't MS force the latest version on all machines instead of rolling out updates to older versions?  They seem to force everything else.  Pros?  Cons?

I'm not against change, I am looking for why?

They do, but you blocked automatic updates.....

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

They do, but you blocked automatic updates.....

I have kept automatic updates on until May 2018 and it seemed like it was constantly updating before I took it to manual.  Version 1803 came out and I installed it on two of my machines and kept it updated manually.  I have manually updated versions 1607, 1703 and 1709, and I think one of my laptops is version 15xx something.

So, is everyone changing to version 1803?  And next 1809? 

And what you are saying is if I turn on automatic update it will update to the latest version instead of updating the current version?

On 9/12/2018 at 10:12 PM, hotbrass said:

So, is everyone changing to version 1803?  And next 1809? 

Yes.

On 9/12/2018 at 10:12 PM, hotbrass said:

And what you are saying is if I turn on automatic update it will update to the latest version instead of updating the current version?

Depends on the pending update. If it is required then yes, you'll get that cumulative update before the next version.