PC sleeps but slips to a restart

Whosonicus

Just last night, I put my computer to sleep (so i don't have to wait for booting). The lights and fans go out as usually and moving the mouse or typing on the keyboard would wake it up.

however,

while I was on my bed, my PC turned on and gave beeps (assuming that's POST at work) which sounded like a normal booting. 

a few seconds later ALL THE FANS (assuming all cause it was loud af) climbed up to max speed which spooked me. It lasted for about 5s

after that I turned on my monitor to find myself on the login screen.

Would this be a hardware or software problem? Any help is appreciated

Ryzen 3 1300x

XFX RX 560 4GB

Gigabyte A320M-S2H

Intel 240GB SSD S3510

WD Blue 1TB

EVGA 600W Bronze 80+

HyperX Fury 8GB x 1

I overclocked nothing, I did update bios F21 -> F23 a few weeks ago and disabled HPET in bios because of its heavy usage of CPU

I'm also using Ryzen's powerplan in windows 10

but i doubt any of these caused the issue

It could just be Windows being stupid, or Windows update being sneaky.  Does it happen often or just the one time?

My computer did this a lot and I found it was the power supply, I believe it didn't flush the capacitors correctly and they just slowly powered down, leading to an unexpected burst in power, and a powering on. Does your PC do this from power off as well, or just sleep?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

36 minutes ago, tekgeek1205 said:

It could just be Windows being stupid, or Windows update being sneaky.  Does it happen often or just the one time?

Looking at windows event viewer thing, i guess it happens more often than I expected but I just happen to be there when it decides to be stupid

31 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

My computer did this a lot and I found it was the power supply, I believe it didn't flush the capacitors correctly and they just slowly powered down, leading to an unexpected burst in power, and a powering on. Does your PC do this from power off as well, or just sleep?

just sleep

how old's the PSU? fasauceome right about a buggy psu. well right about it possibly being the problem. I don't know enough to stand by his explanation of why it could be the power supply. 

Are you connected to the internet via ethernet or wifi? Could be the NIC unsucsefully trying to wake the pc causing a cold boot. 

anything that provides its own power that give an input to the computer (USB, ethernet, thunderbolt, firewire, esata) can cause sleeping problems.

I've always had problems sleeping windows. My solution was a fast ssd and shutting down, but ive got a rather frankensteined setup right now. My 3.3v line went out on my corsair 800w. I couldn't afford to replace it at the time so i have a 550w (that was in the closet) powering the 24pin and the evga powering all the 12v connectors.  Sleep isn't possible with my setup.

41 minutes ago, tekgeek1205 said:

how old's the PSU? fasauceome right about a buggy psu. well right about it possibly being the problem. I don't know enough to stand by his explanation of why it could be the power supply. 

Are you connected to the internet via ethernet or wifi? Could be the NIC unsucsefully trying to wake the pc causing a cold boot. 

anything that provides its own power that give an input to the computer (USB, ethernet, thunderbolt, firewire, esata) can cause sleeping problems.

I've always had problems sleeping windows. My solution was a fast ssd and shutting down, but ive got a rather frankensteined setup right now. My 3.3v line went out on my corsair 800w. I couldn't afford to replace it at the time so i have a 550w (that was in the closet) powering the 24pin and the evga powering all the 12v connectors.  Sleep isn't possible with my setup.

I'm connected using ethernet. 

my keyboard and mouse have lights and are the only usb devices plugged in

how do i fix the PSU if it is the problem? or will i have to buy a new one?

if its not a big problem try unplugging the ethernet before you sleep the computer next. then check you logs when you get back.

If it the psu, swapping it out is the only way I know to test it. Replacing it is the only fix i know of, you might be able to RMA it, evga used to be the best about accepting RMA's. IDK now, it been a long time since ive needed to RMA anything. Usually when things break is undoubtedly my fault for doing something risky or stupid. For an example, not leak testing a new waterloop.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2018 at 2:00 PM, tekgeek1205 said:

if its not a big problem try unplugging the ethernet before you sleep the computer next. then check you logs when you get back.

If it the psu, swapping it out is the only way I know to test it. Replacing it is the only fix i know of, you might be able to RMA it, evga used to be the best about accepting RMA's. IDK now, it been a long time since ive needed to RMA anything. Usually when things break is undoubtedly my fault for doing something risky or stupid. For an example, not leak testing a new waterloop.

On 9/12/2018 at 12:03 PM, fasauceome said:

UPDATE:

problem temporarily solved ish.

The frequency in which my PC slips into a restart had decreased dramatically

What I did

setting sleep in the power settings to a quicker time (like 15 mins or more)

turning off the monitor

turning off the back-lit keyboard

making sure nothing else is connected (ex: phone)

leaving the PC in idle until sleep settings does it's job

Thank's again for everyone's help. I still plan to get a new PSU in the soon