POWER LIMIT THROTTLING PLEASE HELP!!

On 6/19/2019 at 9:37 PM, Vink221 said:

Hey i don't know if this is still relevant or not but if you wanna disable power limit throttling there are a couple ways that have worked for me 

btw i have the exact same dell 7567 laptop you have.

With some laptops the power brick that comes with the laptop is not sufficient to provide power to both the CPU and GPU

so the CPU power limit throttles(I.e it lowers its core clock)

now for this particular cpu the i7 7700hq there are a couple things you can try

First Method: In Intel XTU undervolt that cpu a little more, -120 or -125 (on mine i under volt it to -135 without any performance drop but that's just the silicon lottery). Along with this lower the turbo boost short power max to 45W 

So what Intel cpu's do is for a short amount of time they are given a tdp limit beyond Intel's specs(this usually last for at max a min) by lowering this you make sure that your spu remains in that 45w limit and does not throttle as soon as the turbo boost short power max window is over

DO NOT try and increase your window as far as i know XTU does not allow this and if it is successful you could damage your board.

i Don't actually expect that to work but if it does yay, you have gotten rid of power limit throttling

Second Method: follow the following steps :

Open device manager 

Click on System devices 

Find Intel(R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Processor Participant

Right click and uninstall device (make sure you click delete driver software) and then Scan for hardware changes 

you should find an unknown PCI Data Acquisition and Signal processing controller, right click and disable this.

this should usually work but NOTE: that windows will automatically update the driver and restore it back so you need to change both your Ethernet and WiFi settings to metered connections in the windows settings for network and internet.

before you run any test make sure you open device manager and confirm that there is an unknown PCI Data Acquisition and Signal processing controller if there isn't you need to follow the steps again.

This method worked for me with no issues to performance or thermals 

though the computer does run slightly hotter at idle

Third method: 

This method is rather simple but will decrease your battery life

Open your bios and disable speedstep 

what this does is let your computer run at it's highest frequency at all times (which in turn lowers battery life)

This method also worked for me but as i said decreased my battery life 

ALT Method:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNt9L3BWOFo 

Follow this video on how to use throttle stop to undervolt your CPU better than XTU and to solve your power limit throttling issues 

What i find interesting are those framerates you're getting and why your laptop is getting downclocked so low, cause even with PWT my pc stays above 3.2 Ghz

id suggest a clean install of windows and barring that reinstalling some drivers 

I hope i was able to help solve your problem 

Happy Gaming 🙂

I was having this issue as well, the second method helped me fixed it! Thank you!

On 9/8/2018 at 10:42 AM, boogeyman7567 said:

it charges fine , brick doesn't heat , or smells like something burned. I am not able to find what is causing POWER LIMIT THROTTLING!, any idea what could be the issue ?

has already been explained, the 'issue' is that this is a laptop, which with very restricted power, which is why either cpu or gpu, or even both will throttle when under high load. if they didn't things would simply break very quickly, same for thermal throttling. 

what you should look for is find appropriate settings in games that do not power limit too much - and the same goes for thermal throttling which is typically a much bigger problem with laptops. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity