Chrome 69 adds new Password Manager with Random Password Generation built in

AlTech

Chrome 69 adds a new Random Password Generator to its password manager. Chrome now prompts users to sync newly generated passwords across devices by connecting them to their Google Account.

This should help improve password security especially amongst non-techies.

Google is releasing an entire new design for Chrome today with new features and tweaks to the browser’s overall appearance. You can read more about the redesign here, but one of the big new features is an improved password manager. Chrome will now offer to automatically generate a random password when you sign up to websites for the first time. This password will be stored inside a Google Account securely and synced across desktop and mobile versions of Chrome.

This should stop regular Chrome users from always picking the same password for each site, and ultimately ending up with a security headache if a site is breached. Chrome’s password manager is a welcome change, but you may still want to use a dedicated and separate password manager. Chrome only manages passwords inside its browser, so if you sign into various mobile apps or apps on a TV like Netflix then these login combinations won’t be stored in a Google Account. That’s particularly relevant now that iOS 12 is about to introduce the ability to autofill passwords across browsers and apps from third-party password managers.

image.png.b23d9a3939b4ca70d2c8b1a37670ec43.png

So yeah, whilst I appreciate what google is trying to do here, Google is definitely trying to lock users further into Chrome by making this tied to Google Accounts.

And I really don't like them forcing people to stay in the Google ecosystem.

Source:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/4/17818714/google-chrome-password-manager-security

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Tbh, Safari has had this for years (the generation of passwords specifically), across both macOS and iOS. It's interesting to see how long it took to get the same feature in Chrome. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

They had the random password gen for a while AFAIK. but I want better access to my saved passwords, it currently does not feel like a real password manager.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Locking users into their ecosystem? It's not. If you don't like it, don't use, it's optional, an added functionality. If they made it so that is the only way to sync devices, that would be locking users.

I'm sure they'll extend it like Apple is doing, somewhere in the future. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

My boss gave me a company account from the previous employee and once I logged in on chrome, I had all of his personal passwords in plain text if I wanted. Facebook, bank, everything. It's a really stupid way to do things. Even if I didn't have the account, you can see them if they are afk and you use their computer. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Just now, Syntaxvgm said:

My boss gave me a company account from the previous employee and once I logged in on chrome, I had all of his personal passwords in plain text if I wanted. Facebook, bank, everything. It's a really stupid way to do things. 

I think I would only see it being secure if to use it you needed 2FA for chrome itself

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

21 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

So yeah, whilst I appreciate what google is trying to do here, Google is definitely trying to lock users further into Chrome by making this tied to Google Accounts.

How are they forcing people to use this?

How are they locking people away from using a different browser?

Every browser has features that are exclusive.

By that logic, every browser would "force" people to stay with them, while locking them away from other browsers.

Bashing a company for making their software "too good", so people absolutely have to use it,... seriously? 

As a matter of fact: Every feature is optional. If you like it, you are free to use it, not forced to use it. Same goes for every product on the planet. 

I cant wait for the day something happens and people have to change password managers and there is no way to transfer all the data from one to the other or something.

It'll be a mess.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, mikat said:

Nice

Aghhhh you beat me to it. xD

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

1 hour ago, Rattenmann said:

As a matter of fact: Every feature is optional. If you like it, you are free to use it, not forced to use it. Same goes for every product on the planet.

Except windows 10 for windows users. All they are forced to install windows 10. Some of these peoples computers did that for them. They upgraded automatically from older versions of windows to windows 10.

As proven by researches other countries made, you can't opt out windows 10 "features". It will always send YOUR data to MS.

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

4 minutes ago, mate_mate91 said:

Except windows 10 for windows users. All they are forced to install windows 10. Some of these peoples computers did that for them. They upgraded automatically from older versions of windows to windows 10.

As proven by researches other countries made, you can't opt out windows 10 "features". It will always send YOUR data to MS.

You are free to not use windows as well.

No one is forcing you to. And my router noticing exactly zero upstream to any Microsoft related endpoint kinda disagrees with the inability to turn it off. They don't make it easy, but that is their right. It is not impossible tho. But also a little offtopic.

We are talking about an optional browser feature here. New features are always a plus. Don't like it, don't use it. If at least one person is happy, it is a win for the consumer.

2 minutes ago, Rattenmann said:

You are free to not use windows as well.

That's why i wrote for windows users. I am not a windows user and never will be. Of cource i do not give flying f**k what MS does. But it's very sad.

There was big multi page report about windows 10 behaviour. It has keylogger in it, it's sending data to MS even if you disable all the options MS gives you in OS.

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

I write my passwords in plain text and on paper

Thats honestly the most secure way to store passwords nowadays. 

Great, Chrome users get to try it straight away - to reset their compromised logins.

1 hour ago, Arokhantos said:

I use a website to generate unique passwords every time i refresh it.

How do you know the website isn't logging these and sells them?

6 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Whats written is incoherent cryptograph prompts

Basically a question written in a way that only I can interpret, and cannot be decyphered (because its not a cypher)

And the password is a random association to the question that comes to mind when I see the prompt

So impossible for anyone else to know the password unless they can somehow issue appropriate prompt and read my mind at the same time

Huamns are not particularly good RNGs, we follow patterns. Against a general attack you may be safe (unless you use a generic pattern eg word-related word-number-symbol) but a targeted attack with one or two passwords already known a pattern could be derived by a human to vastly reduce the search space.

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Google is definitely trying to lock users further into Chrome by making this tied to Google Accounts.

I disagree - why? Because you can go into the Chrome settings and extract any saved password.

Therefore, if you wanted to switch to, say, Firefox, you could go into Chrome, reveal the passwords, and manually save them into Firefox.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

keepass still the better solution

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

"Chrome 69"

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 hour ago, Arokhantos said:

How do you know if others sell them ?

I don't but I wouldn't take the risk and neither should anybody.

It's like finding a pile of free door locks, they would work fine in your house but you would never know if whoever put them there kept a copy of the key.

wha

fc8.png

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB