Mercedes to launch an all-electric vehicle in challenge to Tesla

The_Tron

Well, not much to say really.

Testing of the Mercedes-Benz EQC 

Source: Daimler
Testing of the Mercedes-Benz EQC 

"German carmaker Mercedes-Benz will unveil an all-electric vehicle (EV) at a launch event in Stockholm, Sweden, on Tuesday.

The EQC is a battery electric vehicle and the first model from Daimler-owned Mercedes' new product and technology brand, EQ. It will be released on the market in 2019.

The vehicle has undergone winter testing followed by summer trials in the heat of Spain. The car's unveiling is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. local time (12:30 p.m. ET).

Mercedes' launch of the EQC is the latest attempt by more established, traditional carmakers to challenge the dominance of Elon Musk's Tesla.

On Monday, Audi began mass production of its e-tron, the brand's first totally electric sport utility vehicle (SUV). That car will be officially unveiled in San Francisco on September 17.

A number of major businesses have invested in the EV sector recently. Earlier this summer, oil giant BP entered into an agreement to purchase EV charging business Chargemaster. And, in early August, global energy and services business Centrica made a "multi-million pound" investment in Israeli start-up Driivz, which specializes in end-to-end software solutions for electric EV charging."

Source: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/04/mercedes-to-launch-an-all-electric-vehicle-in-challenge-to-tesla.html

5 minutes ago, The_Tron said:

A number of major businesses have invested in the EV sector recently. Earlier this summer, oil giant BP entered into an agreement to purchase EV charging business Chargemaster. And, in early August, global energy and services business Centrica made a "multi-million pound" investment in Israeli start-up Driivz, which specializes in end-to-end software solutions for electric EV charging."

So big oil companies will just migrate to electricity so they can profit. Cool..

2 minutes ago, voiha said:

So big oil companies will just migrate to electricity so they can profit. Cool..

at least smog in big cities gets reduced

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

I guess but the thing that worries me is that they would want to find a way how to charge people more for charging their cars as they do with traditional fuel.

2 minutes ago, voiha said:

I guess but the thing that worries me is that they would want to find a way how to charge people more for charging their cars as they do with traditional fuel.

We'll see -- I think this is ultimately an acknowledgment that gasoline's days are numbered and that these companies either have to accept that EVs or coming or die out.

5 minutes ago, Commodus said:

We'll see -- I think this is ultimately an acknowledgment that gasoline's days are numbered and that these companies either have to accept that EVs or coming or die out.

I have a feeling the price we pay per kwh will go way up in the future. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

6 minutes ago, Commodus said:

In Europe, to be specific in Germany I checked the electricity prices for a friend and he was paying 27 cents per kWh. Well I feel like this is going to double now

19 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I have a feeling the price we pay per kwh will go way up in the future. 

That's assuming the old guard petroleum companies adapt in time and have a way to charge more.  I'm not sure all of them will make the cut, especially not when they aren't about to control companies like Tesla.

48 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

For now that's gonna happen only in big cities full of reach people :)

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

33 minutes ago, ZeouLs said:

In Europe, to be specific in Germany I checked the electricity prices for a friend and he was paying 27 cents per kWh. Well I feel like this is going to double now

In Georgia we pay 9 cents at max per KWH. It depends on how much KW you have used in moth but 9 cent is max price per KWH if you used more then 300 KW.

But average salary in here is about 200-250$. Official average 400$ comes from government members getting salaries 1000-1500$ + Bonuses many times in month and addons (they created this new thing addons to get as much money in month as they can)

those that do backups

46 minutes ago, voiha said:

I got into a pretty nasty argument around the year 2000 about this. The guy, who is quite smart, went off on "Big Oil". It took a bit to get through that "Big Oil" is "Big" and the "Oil" part isn't important. A full hydrogen economy (which isn't possible, but ignore that for a moment) would just be heavily effected by Big Hydro. They're massive energy companies. They have their fingers in every energy project they can find.

Also, there's literally trillions of barrels of recoverable (with current tech) oil. It's always just a matter of cost of extraction & processing. Further, look into Lithium concerns. Pretty much the same groups. Again, they're energy companies. It's simply what they do.

Full EVs will be niche for at least another decade. They have to find a magnitude of capacity & significant charge-rate improvements to make them all that viable for a lot of people. (People buy for "expected utility" when it comes to cars, not "standard, daily utility". EVs can work as a 2nd/3rd car, though.) I really wish GM hadn't screwed up with the Volt/Bolt, and, as a result, no one really understands it. It's so much better technology.

5 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I got into a pretty nasty argument around the year 2000 about this. The guy, who is quite smart, went off on "Big Oil". It took a bit to get through that "Big Oil" is "Big" and the "Oil" part isn't important. A full hydrogen economy (which isn't possible, but ignore that for a moment) would just be heavily effected by Big Hydro. They're massive energy companies. They have their fingers in every energy project they can find.

Also, there's literally trillions of barrels of recoverable (with current tech) oil. It's always just a matter of cost of extraction & processing. Further, look into Lithium concerns. Pretty much the same groups. Again, they're energy companies. It's simply what they do.

Full EVs will be niche for at least another decade. They have to find a magnitude of capacity & significant charge-rate improvements to make them all that viable for a lot of people. (People buy for "expected utility" when it comes to cars, not "standard, daily utility". EVs can work as a 2nd/3rd car, though.) I really wish GM hadn't screwed up with the Volt/Bolt, and, as a result, no one really understands it. It's so much better technology.

It's an old tech. Imagine alternative universe where fucking henry ford did not even born! We should have very advanced batteries and EVs if not ford!

those that do backups

7 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Also, there's literally trillions of barrels of recoverable (with current tech) oil.

What do you mean by "recoverable oil" ?

2 minutes ago, mate_mate91 said:

t's an old tech. Imagine alternative universe where fucking henry ford did not even born! We should have very advanced batteries and EVs if not ford!

If it wasn't Henry Ford it was going to be "insert name here".

59 minutes ago, voiha said:

Electricity cartel lol. Completely flip the strategy, start lobbying for more environmental safety and regulation hence driving up the price of renewable energy. Windmills kill birds, regulate! Building dams for hydro electric foods upstream areas, regulate! Solar panels are dumped from unfair trade practices by china, tarriffs!

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

9 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Not sure about staying niche for a decade, or working as secondary cars.  Most of the big car brands are planning dramatic expansions in their EV lineups in the next few years.  And strictly anecdotally: my brother's car is a current-generation Nissan Leaf.  He won't be traveling across the country with it, but it's most definitely his main car.

5 minutes ago, dtaflorida said:

Electricity cartel lol. Completely flip the strategy, start lobbying for more environmental safety and regulation hence driving up the price of renewable energy. Windmills kill birds, regulate! Building dams for hydro electric foods upstream areas, regulate! Solar panels are dumped from unfair trade practices by china, tarriffs!

The thing that now worries me is that this makes sense... 

17 minutes ago, mate_mate91 said:

It's an old tech. Imagine alternative universe where fucking henry ford did not even born! We should have very advanced batteries and EVs if not ford!

Metallurgy was far ahead of the chemistry until the post-WW2 era. No amount of excessive development would have changed batteries all that much until a lot of the Material Sciences advances hit a lot further down the line.

15 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Not sure about staying niche for a decade, or working as secondary cars.  Most of the big car brands are planning dramatic expansions in their EV lineups in the next few years.  And strictly anecdotally: my brother's car is a current-generation Nissan Leaf.  He won't be traveling across the country with it, but it's most definitely his main car.

Environmental regulations. That's why they're developing them. The fact they aren't developing Gas-Electric series hybrids tells you most of game. EV does some things well, but the dominance of the gasoline-powered vehicle isn't some accident of history or some conspiracy. The insane utility of the chemically stable gasoline is what makes it all work so well. But, you don't get the Social Status for getting the more useful technology, which keeps the important tech stuck in GM's inept hands.

EV is a niche and it will be for a long while still. Too much has been focused on the vanity, public-facing "look at us!' projects, rather than the places it would actually make the most sense. The fact they've only started talking about local haul electric trucks in the last year is really insulting. That is the one place EV makes technical, economic & environmental sense. (And local city cars when you have access to other types of exterior transport.)

24 minutes ago, dtaflorida said:

Now you're catching onto the game. If you start to dig into the "who funds what?" game, especially going back years, you can end up really surprised who was pushing different things. Natural Gas concerns were really big in the "War on Coal". Why? Well, without coal-fired plants, unless you're building nukes (which no one is), you're going to build gas-fired plants. 

2 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Environmental regulations. That's why they're developing them. The fact they aren't developing Gas-Electric series hybrids tells you most of game. EV does some things well, but the dominance of the gasoline-powered vehicle isn't some accident of history or some conspiracy. The insane utility of the chemically stable gasoline is what makes it all work so well. But, you don't get the Social Status for getting the more useful technology, which keeps the important tech stuck in GM's inept hands.

EV is a niche and it will be for a long while still. Too much has been focused on the vanity, public-facing "look at us!' projects, rather than the places it would actually make the most sense. The fact they've only started talking about local haul electric trucks in the last year is really insulting. That is the one place EV makes technical, economic & environmental sense. (And local city cars when you have access to other types of exterior transport.)

What are you talking about?  More than a few automakers have plug-in hybrids, which are frequently serial.

And if you really think EV makers focused on what they did because it was strictly about vanity... you don't really understand the technology.  It focused on compact and luxury vehicles because of the early limitations of the technology.  You couldn't get much range, so it made sense to make city cars if you wanted something vaguely affordable; and anything larger was going to be very expensive due to the cost of the batteries, so the sedans were luxury models.

They didn't wait until now to make electric semis because they didn't have sense.  It's because there are numerous technological challenges to developing an EV at that size and with the expectations of the trucking industry.  Any electric semi needs a gigantic battery, but that battery also needs to charge quickly.  How were you going to do that in, say, 2012, when charging any EV quickly was a novelty?  The Tesla Semi prototype currently has to occupy several Supercharger stations to top up at a reasonably quick pace... there won't be a viable infrastructure for that until there's a Megacharger network online, and that could take a while.  That and we're just getting to the point where electric big rigs have enough range that inter-city and repeated in-city trips are practical options.

56 minutes ago, mate_mate91 said:

But average salary in here is about 200-250$. 

is that per week or what? even per week that's only 12k per year

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

glad to see more traditional car makers into EV business. god bless we can have much better production speed and better QA now.

hope we will have battery that is safer, more environmental friendly (both production and recycle), with larger energy density, higher power, quicker charging time come out soon! w8, i think i am being greedy and just asked for too many staff. which indicate how far EV is from replacing traditional gas vehicle.

So, from the pic I take it it's going to be an SUV? Meh... anyway, hydrogen is a nice alternative too, especially for things like big rigs. So they can just fill up and keep going, besides, they have the space for hydrogen tanks and the equipment required for hydrogen to electric conversion anyway, which is something that consumes space / increases production value of smaller vehicles like a car. A high end enough hydrogen-electric sedan would be cool though... since the Mirai doesn't interest me.

About Henry Ford... indeed somebody was going to invent these things you commute around with every day. The change from steam engines to ICE was bound to happen at that time. If it wasn't for him, it might have been Rudolf Diesel...