Sata ssd to m.2 ssd, should I clone or fresh install?

Go to solution Solved by userzero,

Clone it. You may have to reactivate some software. Doesn't always happen though.

Acronis is my preferred for reliability. Clonezilla and Ghost are OK.

Hello, I just purchased the m.2 Samsung 970 Evo. I'm thinking of switching this as my primary boot drive. I was wondering if I should do a fresh install of windows or if its okay just to clone using their migrate application from my current boot drive which is a samsung 850 evo.

Just clone using the Samsung Migration Tool.

So You Wanna Be A Playa, But Your Rig's Ain't Fly,
You Gotta Hit Us Up, To Get A Pimped Out Rig,

You've Got To Pimp My Riggggggg...  (DAMN RIGHT)

14 minutes ago, naokuronao said:

Hello, I just purchased the m.2 Samsung 970 Evo. I'm thinking of switching this as my primary boot drive. I was wondering if I should do a fresh install of windows or if its okay just to clone using their migrate application from my current boot drive which is a samsung 850 evo.

I'd recommend a fresh install. It's easier. If you clone, you might end up causing issues such as drivers, software etc.

7 minutes ago, mikedrewsmy said:

Just clone using the Samsung Migration Tool.

Not Ideal to clone

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

1 minute ago, Abdul201588 said:

I'd recommend a fresh install. It's easier. If you clone, you might end up causing issues such as drivers, software etc.

Not Ideal to clone

I've been changing components including cpu, mobo, gpu and ram for the past month. Many times. That samsung migration tool help me. A LOT.

No issues whatsoever.

So You Wanna Be A Playa, But Your Rig's Ain't Fly,
You Gotta Hit Us Up, To Get A Pimped Out Rig,

You've Got To Pimp My Riggggggg...  (DAMN RIGHT)

Clone it. You may have to reactivate some software. Doesn't always happen though.

Probably gaming or helping technophobes with tech...

• 2 weeks later...
On 2018/9/4 at 7:03 PM, userzero said:

I just cloned it and it seems to be working fine! Thank you!

I did use Acronis for my cloning too.