GTX 1080 TI stuck at 265.5 MHz even while under load

Go to solution Solved by Sp259,
7 hours ago, wojtepanik said:

i have the same issue with 970, stucks on 3 houndred somethin mhz and and restarting helps

This used to be a solution on the Previous version of the drivers for me so not 399.07 but the one before it. I would highly recommend going back and installing 397.64 and then restart and going to the newest , If it changed anything at all, to see if that helps. (only if your stuck at 300MHz all the time NOT JUST IDLE).

Read my original Post for more context

rdddwHello everyone. 

I have been having some issues as of late with my GPU. It gets stuck at 265.5 MHz(GPU-Z), or 278 MHZ (GPU tweak 2 and MSI afterburner) and the Memory clock is Maxed out all the time. This happens Idle and UNDER LOAD. so 17 FPSish in Overwatch and other games. GPU-z says that the PerfCap Reason is PWR(Limited by total Power Limit).  I have seemed to try everything I know. Update the drivers, contacted nvidia customer support who were not helpful and thought it was a fan issue???. (the fans work fine BTW) I have searched the Bios looking for something GPU related to enable or disable that is relevant for the GPU and its power. I have edited windows settings enabled all the performance features via control panel and nothin. A few times after changing a number of unrelated Bios settings in relation to the CPU overclock GPU-Z reported that The PerfCap Reason was Idle(like its supposed to when idle). However in these instances the GPU core clock was 550-1400-1450ish and the memory clock was still maxed out. I am literally running out of options. From my testing. It seems to be a windows issue?? but then the bios fixing it for a reboot makes me think it might be something else. I just really hope my card is not dead. Cause it works when it was working on those reboots. Like perfectly fine. so I don't think the card is dead but maybe a sensor died?. I need help though so I have put my GPU-z sensor log, and 2 screenshots of GPU-z to help describe what I am experiencing(I updated GPU-z in-between these pictures btw) SEND HELP ASAP. 

GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt

5b8e2e9c6e696_GPUzsensorstab.PNG.ec17e021c4d1a433784e2659d45cf0ee.PNGww.gif.9ba66316218874e1a87e41cdce4bbd15.gif

Edit: Something I did not notice before the VDDC seems to be stuck at that voltage..

Edit 2; Thanks to everyone who replied.:). So in the end it turns out it was just windows not liking the driver install from the first time I installed the newer drivers and then when I went back to the version before that. So on a whim this morning I said screw it, Installed a version from May of this year (397.64) and then restarted and then updated to new newest version of the drivers. (There is something wrong with the driver. It does not like windows AT ALL. and caused the GPU to on occasion under load to say that PWR is the limiting factor for a brief moment whereas the older driver does not seem to. [I have disabled my OC].) In the end Nvidia drivers can and will suck sometimes with a version of windows (10 pro in my case) and cause a number of headaches for the end user. Possibly causing the user to believe its a bad card not bad drivers. (downgrading and upgrading had no effect first time around.) Nvidia FIX YO DRIVERS. 

By "update drivers" you mean try to update the drivers or reinstall them?

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 hour ago, Uptivuptiz said:

By "update drivers" you mean try to update the drivers or reinstall them?

Both went to older and the newest drivers 

Maybe try reseating the power connector cables? Probably won't fix it, but if it'sa power delivery issue it's worth a try :P.

1 hour ago, monjessenstein said:

Maybe try reseating the power connector cables? Probably won't fix it, but if it'sa power delivery issue it's worth a try :P.

I did one better by reseating the card. To no avail though :(

24 minutes ago, Sp259 said:

Both went to older and the newest drivers 

Did you also check the "clean install" option in the install?

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well on other GTX 10 series cards the GPU stuckes at 139 MHz, the called "Idle Mode" i think thats an unfixed bug in nvidias firmware and other. On my Surface Book 2 and a friend Asus GTX 1060 strix that happends too. I don´t know if Nvida is going to do a patch for this problem.

Use the Built-in GPU-Z benchmark / stress test.

While it is running, take another screenshot, and post it here.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Did you look at the "power management mode" setting in the nVidia control panel ?

It should be set to "prefer optimal performance" (or "adaptive") instead of "optimal power" if that's your current setting.

974ed67d_mode.png

7 hours ago, wojtepanik said:

i have the same issue with 970, stucks on 3 houndred somethin mhz and and restarting helps

This used to be a solution on the Previous version of the drivers for me so not 399.07 but the one before it. I would highly recommend going back and installing 397.64 and then restart and going to the newest , If it changed anything at all, to see if that helps. (only if your stuck at 300MHz all the time NOT JUST IDLE).

Read my original Post for more context