AMD RX 580 Graphics Card Stuttering Fix

Not sure exactly where this should go. 

I have been fighting with stuttering on my system for a while now and have finally fixed it and what to share what worked. Any of the recent Radeon Adrenaline updates (18.x) have resulted in me getting stuttering in Windows 10. Not in any specific game or application, but the entire system. If watching a video, it was like having the video stop and buffer every 3 or so seconds. This fix is specific to any system using an HDMI Monitor connected directly to the HDMI port on the RX 580 and not using a DP to HDMI adapter

Heres the relevant system components:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600

GPU: Gigabyte Aorus RX 580 8GB

MOBO: Gigabyte AX370-Gaming K5

RAM: GSkill Ripjaws DDR4 3200

Monitors: LG 29UM59 Ultrawide (1-DP using adapter, 1-HDMI !! IMPORTANT !!)

GPU Driver: Radeon Adrenaline 18.8.2

Windows Build: 17134.254

Windows Version: Windows 10 1803 Update

Heres what worked:

1. Open AMD Radeon Settings
  2. Go to "Display"
  3. Select the HDMI Monitor, click on "Specs"
  4. Go to "Override"
  5. Disable HDCP Support

Took me forever to figure this out, so I wanted to make it easier for anyone else having the same problem. Your mileage may vary

• 4 months later...

i just tried this and now i get no display from gpu. Had to unplug it. On integrated now, but cant open amd settings without it plugged in? Any ideas to fix(go back)

Thank you for positing this. I just got a new RX 580 and was having the exact same stuttering problem, I was going to go crazy. I was about to just return it but this fixed my issue. Thanks again

I rarely wish i was rich, bc i dont need for much, but

I owe you ten billion dollars!!!

This was a weird morning, although I am loving these new 19.something drivers, and my rx 580 so far... other than the crippling stuttering every 5 seconds haha!  

I had 3 monitors: 

1 - nice 4k via DP

2 - garbage 1080p HDMI

3 - garbage 1080p DVI 

I was actually surprised all three monitors worked, because the box had said it had 5 ports (3 DP, hdmi, dvi-d), but only 4 monitors could work at once - I had assumed you could use *either* dvi or hdmi, but not both - i can confirm i was wrong, dvi and hdmi and DP are playing great together.  

But this is where it gets weird. 

I started by going into Spec Override as you say for the HDMI monitor, and turn off HDCP - it forces an immdiate reboot.  Stuttering is still there.  

I check monitor 3, the DVI, figuring its a waste of time as DVI doesnt support HDCP to my knowledge... and to my surprise, it is ON for monitor 3!  Turn off, reboot.  

Still stutter!  

On the DP monitor, it doesnt even show HDCP Status like the other two monitors, but I go into Spec Override anyways... and there it is, and on - turn to off, reboot, its fixed!  

So I had to disable HDCP for all three monitors - DP, HDMI, and DVI - but it is running flawlessly now woohoo!  Eyefinity works great and i didnt have to set it up, my left and right side monitors just worked, even though I had used DDU to completely blow everything away before installing new card.  

All hail Emperor Flurpster!!!

Are any of these monitors Freesync?  Because if they are, having that turned on can cause really bad stuttering exactly as described... the system is trying to insert extra frames to keep the frame rate higher, which causes the stuttering constantly.

I had this issue with my 580, and I thought it was down to my old crappy FX8350, but when I turned it off things dramatically improved... Still terrible FPS, but far less stuttering.

Since building my new rig, I can game at 1440p high/ultra settings in everything.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

I signed up for an account on the forums just to say thank you for this info. It worked perfectly. You are a god among men. 

On 1/6/2019 at 3:00 PM, tsbtlife said:

i just tried this and now i get no display from gpu. Had to unplug it. On integrated now, but cant open amd settings without it plugged in? Any ideas to fix(go back)

I honestly don't know what to try next, I just happened to stumble upon a post somewhere after a couple hours of googling and thought I would save everyone else the same trouble that I had trying to find a solution. Maybe try a DDU and start from scratch with drivers, or if you have multiple monitors try what @Screng did and make sure HDCP is disabled on all of them.

I'm actually not able to try anything further because I ended up getting a second hand 1070 and replacing the RX580

On 1/13/2019 at 6:17 PM, Brayden15 said:

Thank you for positing this. I just got a new RX 580 and was having the exact same stuttering problem, I was going to go crazy. I was about to just return it but this fixed my issue. Thanks again

On 1/19/2019 at 4:31 PM, Mattwig said:

I signed up for an account on the forums just to say thank you for this info. It worked perfectly. You are a god among men. 

Happy to Help, after all isn't that why we're part of this community?

On 1/19/2019 at 6:26 AM, Anomnomnomaly said:

Are any of these monitors Freesync?  Because if they are, having that turned on can cause really bad stuttering exactly as described... the system is trying to insert extra frames to keep the frame rate higher, which causes the stuttering constantly.

I had this issue with my 580, and I thought it was down to my old crappy FX8350, but when I turned it off things dramatically improved... Still terrible FPS, but far less stuttering.

Since building my new rig, I can game at 1440p high/ultra settings in everything.

Yes, the monitor directly connected with HDMI is FreeSync and it was enabled. I never thought of trying it without but can't now because I have since swapped the RX580 for a 1070

• 1 month later...

I have just purchased an RX 580 8GB and upgraded from an R9 270 2GB ..... it was a huuuge improvement but it had this horrid issue of freezing every few seconds like you describe, this fix worked!!!

I created this account purely to thank you kind sir!

• 3 weeks later...

I too created an account here just to say thank you to the folks who figured this out.  The stutter on my DP-connected monitor has been MADDENING especially since my laptop on the KVM hasn't had a single problem with it.  I ran this fix, my RX 580 is unaffected and I haven't had ANY STUTTER AT ALL when it's been ritually happening every 10 to 30 seconds.  An enormous thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

I also made an account to thank you. Yesterday i upgraded from a 750 ti to an RX 570 and i had the same issue, even when i was watching a movie on VLC the video would stutter every few seconds.

• 4 months later...

Thank you thank you had this card for 1 year thought it was bad like really grateful thank you 

• 1 month later...

So, the problem I was having is that when I got both monitors (I have 2) using in any way the GPU, one or the other would stutter. For example, if in on monitor I got a stream and the other a yt video (or a game or whatever), one of the monitors would stutter a lot.

Disabling HDCP for box monitors seems to have fixed it.

HDCP is basically just for stuff like Blu-ray playback, and some streaming services. It is useless if all you're doing is gaming, or streaming video at less than 1440p on certain websites.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

• 3 months later...

Not only did my generic web search of "amd stuttering" lead me to this exact page (with my exact video card, RX580), this fix is still working in 2020. AWESOME AND THANK YOU!

Using the latest beta drivers as well.

• 4 months later...

My RX580 had been working fine for some time and this stuttering started happening on me, several changes were done though:

* got a new monitor (LG 32")

* i moved from DVI to DP

* i updated the bios

Disabling HDCP made the stuttering go away and as mentioned in the other replies, does anyone have a clue how could it be related and is there somewhere to report bugs to AMD people?

Again thanks OP, you're a lifesaver!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi so I got my Rig built just over a month ago and have had this stuttering issue since the beginning with the RX 580, I've factory reset my AMD software to get rid of any settings i messed with to try and fix it but even with the HDCP disabled i'm still getting drops in frames across every game I play, super frustrating and I can't figure it out. This close to doing a factory reset on the PC to try and fix this issue, but it seems everyone else has managed to solve theirs, can anyone help? Thankyou

• 3 months later...
On 9/2/2018 at 1:08 AM, Flurpster said:

I have been fighting with stuttering on my system for a while now and have finally fixed it and what to share what worked. Any of the recent Radeon Adrenaline updates (18.x) have resulted in me getting stuttering in Windows 10. Not in any specific game or application, but the entire system. If watching a video, it was like having the video stop and buffer every 3 or so seconds. This fix is specific to any system using an HDMI Monitor connected directly to the HDMI port on the RX 580 and not using a DP to HDMI adapter

Heres what worked:

2. Go to "Display"
  4. Go to "Override"
  5. Disable HDCP Support

Took me forever to figure this out, so I wanted to make it easier for anyone else having the same problem. Your mileage may vary

This helped and right now i have constant 165 fps. I made an account just to thank you so very fooking much. I've had this issue for about 5 months and you've just completly fixed it. Thanks a lot again <3

On 7/13/2020 at 4:39 PM, SteveTheDweeb said:

Hi so I got my Rig built just over a month ago and have had this stuttering issue since the beginning with the RX 580, I've factory reset my AMD software to get rid of any settings i messed with to try and fix it but even with the HDCP disabled i'm still getting drops in frames across every game I play, super frustrating and I can't figure it out. This close to doing a factory reset on the PC to try and fix this issue, but it seems everyone else has managed to solve theirs, can anyone help? Thankyou

Can you send a full info ab your system? That way maybe I'll notice the issue

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2020 at 7:39 AM, SteveTheDweeb said:

Sorry, I didn't see this sooner. I kind of forgot about this thread. Is the frame drop consistent? Or is it more of a stutter? It might be something running in the background that is affecting your games.

• 4 months later...
On 9/2/2018 at 1:08 AM, Flurpster said:

Heres what worked:

2. Go to "Display"
  4. Go to "Override"
  5. Disable HDCP Support

Yeah.... It didn't work for me sadly.... It may be because I got single channel ram tho?... Idk if that can cause high frametime, for me the frametime is like 5-9 then jumps to 14-19 or more... Thanks anyways.. I created an account just to say this xDDD

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/2/2018 at 2:08 AM, Flurpster said:

thanks alot bro i made an account just to thank you i was having some bugs and stuttering in destiny 2 now its fixed and smooth without bugs as well 

• 7 months later...

Also created account to say thank you! Now I can finally update to Windows 11!