GT 1030 lagging a lot @4k 60Hz

VossyDev

Hello people - picked up a GT 1030(GDDR5) 2 days ago for various reasons. 

Not gaming - obviously. It was bought for Unity Android development, and I chose it over previous generations as it supports HDMI 2.0 & supposedly supports a max of 7680x4320@60 Hz (So 4K 60Hz non gaming shouldn't be an issue). 9th Generation obviously has HDMI 2.0 but wanted something new due to the mining craze.

What I'm using is a decently spec'd machine for what it's for - i3 8100, 12GB 2400Mhz DDR4, GT 1030, SSD. As well as Unity, I use Illustrator, Photoshop (But rarely), and general web browsing tasks. I've found that since I've bought it, it's not been a very enjoyable experience. Constant freezing & slow responsiveness which definitely wasn't there using the on-board graphics, which I will add, I ran at 1080 60Hz as it's far smoother than 4k 30hz. (But I couldn't achieve 4k 60hz on UHD 630). 

I imagine this is quite a rare problem as I don't imagine many people here have bought a GT 1030, and if you have I don't imagine you're running at 4k, but any help would be appreciated! 

3 minutes ago, VossyDev said:

snip

Honestly the GPU is just trash. It struggles at 1080p.

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

2 minutes ago, VossyDev said:

Constant freezing & slow responsiveness which definitely wasn't there using the on-board graphics, which I will add, I ran at 1080 60Hz as it's far smoother than 4k 30hz. (But I couldn't achieve 4k 60hz on UHD 630). 

Were you using HDMI or DisplayPort from your motherboard with the Integrated graphics?

According to Intels product page, it can run 4k 60hz over DisplayPort cable, but not HDMI which is limited to 24hz. (However, I was under the impression that it didn't support 4k 60hz at all until I double checked the specs page, so I'm not entirely certain).

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, KendoSapion said:

That's the DDR4 version. Maybe you didn't see but Nvidia pulled another dick move and basically released a DDR4 version of it after the GDDR5, and the comparisons between them are world's apart (Honestly it's a disgrace they've even called it a GT 1030). 

The GDDR5 version is comparable (ish) to the 750ti. The 750ti edges it but doesn't have HDMI 2.0 otherwise I'd have gotten one used; the DDR4 version is just awful lol

Just now, VossyDev said:

That's the DDR4 version. Maybe you didn't see but Nvidia pulled another dick move and basically released a DDR4 version of it after the GDDR5, and the comparisons between them are world's apart (Honestly it's a disgrace they've even called it a GT 1030). 

The GDDR5 version is comparable (ish) to the 750ti. The 750ti edges it but doesn't have HDMI 2.0 otherwise I'd have gotten one used; the DDR4 version is just awful lol

Oh I didn't know they had two versions, my bad. 

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

Just now, Spotty said:

Were you using HDMI or DisplayPort from your motherboard with the Integrated graphics?

According to Intels product page, it can run 4k 60hz over DisplayPort cable, but not HDMI which is limited to 24hz. (However, I was under the impression that it didn't support 4k 60hz at all until I double checked the specs page, so I'm not entirely certain).

Ahh didn't know that! Although my motherboard doesn't have a DP port on it anyway so wouldn't have managed to achieve that (That, and I'm using my 4K Samsung as a monitor which only has HDMI). 

Interesting though, didn't know that! Thanks :)

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

The bad 4k performance is in general or just in Unity? 

Unity generally seems fine on it - until I open illustrator. The problem is, when I use illustrator and it starts, closing it doesn't solve it. A system restart generally gets rid of it but when I reopen Illustrator, after about 5 minutes of using it, the same happens. 

If I were to restart, then work in Unity for a few hours without using Illustrator it'd probably be okay, which makes me think Illustrator is the culprit (No shit lol), but I don't really see how something as light as illustrator could cause that (Seriously, the illustrator requirements are a Pentium 4, in 2018).

Running YouTube at 4k 60Hz is as smooth as butter prior to whatever's causing the stuttering and lag, so something to do with illustrator doesn't agree with the card but I can't really work around that considering I use it more than I use Unity most days

The GDDR5 GT1030 is fine for non-gaming use at resolutions of 1440p and below, but video playback is awful at 4K and my card generally lags as you mentioned yours is. In my experience the GDDR5 GT1030 is better than the on-board graphics, but it just really isn't meant for 4K. I use mine in my work PC with a 6600K and 1080p monitor and everything work great.

i9-10900K, Asus ROG STRIX Z590-E Gaming WiFi, Asus TUF RTX3080, 32GB G.Skill 3200MHz CL14

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB, EVGA Supernova 850W G3, Asus Xonar DGX

Fractal Design Define C TG, Noctua NH-U14S, Asus PG279Q 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz

9 minutes ago, SALEEN961 said:

The GDDR5 GT1030 is fine for non-gaming use at resolutions of 1440p and below, but video playback is awful at 4K and my card generally lags as you mentioned yours is. In my experience the GDDR5 GT1030 is better than the on-board graphics, but it just really isn't meant for 4K. I use mine in my work PC with a 6600K and 1080p monitor and everything work great.

4K 60Hz playback for me is actually perfectly fine on YouTube for me, runs with no problems whatsoever (As did the UHD 630 on YouTube, but at 30Hz) . It's just other stuff that seems to be a problem. 

Heck even clicking the start menu can take a few seconds to show up at times, which didn't happen with onboard graphics... The thing is it isn't always like this. It'll be fine for a few hours then just happen out of nowhere

2 hours ago, VossyDev said:

Heck even clicking the start menu can take a few seconds to show up at times, which didn't happen with onboard graphics... The thing is it isn't always like this. It'll be fine for a few hours then just happen out of nowhere

I have a GT-1030 in my rig to power 2 4K/60 panels and I'm not having any issues with it.  You might want to keep MSI Afterburner's usage graphs up.  Specifically watch the GPU load and temperature for the card.  See if the "slow downs" line up with a spike in temps for some reason.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

2 hours ago, VossyDev said:

Actually the GDDR5 version isn't even as good as the regular GTX 750.  The 750 Ti crushes it.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 hour ago, JoostinOnline said:

Actually the GDDR5 version isn't even as good as the regular GTX 750.  The 750 Ti crushes it.

In benchmarks the 750ti runs about 3-5 FPS on average better, while also drawing more power and running 10 degrees hotter. 

Definitely wouldn't call that crushing, but performance wise is obviously better than the 1030

6 minutes ago, VossyDev said:

In benchmarks the 750ti runs about 3-5 FPS on average better, while also drawing more power and running 10 degrees hotter. 

Definitely wouldn't call that crushing, but performance wise is obviously better than the 1030

Given that you can snag one for less than $50 easy, it definitely crushes it in price/performance.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

5 minutes ago, VossyDev said:

I wouldn't bother trying to justify the GT-1030 purchase to the folks around here; it will fall on "deaf ears", as the saying goes.  They're all convinced it's trash and not worth anything.  Used for the appropriate tasks: it's just fine.

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

I'll reply to a video of the 750 comparison with a 750ti FPS comparison, which proves my point about the difference being negligible (Never said it wasn't better, but the difference is minuscule while also maintaining better power draw and temps)

2 minutes ago, jasonvp said:

I wouldn't bother trying to justify the GT-1030 purchase to the folks around here; it will fall on "deaf ears", as the saying goes.  They're all convinced it's trash and not worth anything.  Used for the appropriate tasks: it's just fine.

I've noticed... a lot of people here seem to be very set in their opinions with no room for manoeuvre.

I know I could have gotten better value for money performance wise, but I needed HDMI 2.0 so was a pretty good choice for me regardless of most opinions

6 minutes ago, VossyDev said:

I'll reply to a video of the 750 comparison with a 750ti FPS comparison, which proves my point about the difference being negligible (Never said it wasn't better, but the difference is minuscule while also maintaining better power draw and temps)

He's running it with an i5 750, which is undoubtedly bottlenecking it.  That's a very bad benchmark.

As I said in my edit, I was talking about price/performance.  I'm sorry you made a bad purchase, but you have the answer.  The 1030 is marketed towards gullible people to take their money.

4 minutes ago, VossyDev said:

I've noticed... a lot of people here seem to be very set in their opinions with no room for manoeuvre.

I know I could have gotten better value for money performance wise, but I needed HDMI 2.0 so was a pretty good choice for me regardless of most opinions

If it was a good choice then this topic wouldn't exist.   A DP to HDMI 2.0 cable with a 750 Ti would have been a much more sensible and budget friendly purchase.

I needed teeny, and HDM 2.0/DP1.4.  The MSI low-profile version worked perfectly for me.

30 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

He's running it with an i5 750, which is undoubtedly bottlenecking it.  That's a very bad benchmark.

As I said in my edit, I was talking about price/performance.  I'm sorry you made a bad purchase, but you have the answer.  The 1030 is marketed towards gullible people to take their money.

If it was a good choice then this topic wouldn't exist.   A DP to HDMI 2.0 cable with a 750 Ti would have been a much more sensible and budget friendly purchase.

There's another benchmark on the same page with an i3 8100 and the results are again, nearly the same. Averaging a 5fps increase... 

You also realise that, where I am, the 750ti, used, costs the same as a brand new 1030, and a used 1030 costs £10 less (Used 1030 is generally about £45-£50, used 750ti is about £55-£60). 

I don't really understand your problem with it. The 750ti is better performance wise (By a little), whereas the 1030 is cheaper (if you buy both of them used as a new 750ti is pointless) & has better efficiency. 

I know it is NOT a gaming card, and I could have easily gotten better value for money, but it's not a bad choice; although obviously you're entitled to your opinion - but the facts are the facts, the difference between them is nowhere near as prominent as you seem to believe, and if benchmarks won't make you believe that then nothing will, so no point arguing against you

4 hours ago, VossyDev said:

4K 60Hz playback for me is actually perfectly fine on YouTube for me, runs with no problems whatsoever (As did the UHD 630 on YouTube, but at 30Hz) . It's just other stuff that seems to be a problem. 

To clarify my issues with video playback on youtube were only in fullscreen mode, or with a very large window, the default small video window was ok, but like you I also had issues with system responsiveness when opening things.

i9-10900K, Asus ROG STRIX Z590-E Gaming WiFi, Asus TUF RTX3080, 32GB G.Skill 3200MHz CL14

I know it is NOT a gaming card, and I could have easily gotten better value for money, but it's not a bad choice

We think very differently if you believe that makes sense.  A bad value is never a good choice to me.  You're getting lagging, you openly admit that you could have easily saved money, and you still think you made a good choice.

Side note, even the used GT 1030 DDR4 cards go for $80 here, almost double the cost of a 750 Ti.  Or at least they did a week ago, I haven't checked how prices have changed (on the 750 Ti either) in the used market since the RTX cards were announced.

7 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

...even the used GT 1030 DDR4 cards go for $80 here, almost double the cost of a 750 Ti...

That's really high, I bought my GDDR5 GT1030 for $67 new in a brick and mortar store, seemed like a great value for me since I only wanted a 1080p, low power draw, single slot, passively cooled card.

I could have gone with an older card, but the power draw would have been much higher, and the GT 1030 massively outperformed the old 550ti I had laying around.

29 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

We think very differently if you believe that makes sense.  A bad value is never a good choice to me.  You're getting lagging, you openly admit that you could have easily saved money, and you still think you made a good choice.

Side note, even the used GT 1030 DDR4 cards go for $80 here, almost double the cost of a 750 Ti.  Or at least they did a week ago, I haven't checked how prices have changed (on the 750 Ti either) in the used market since the RTX cards were announced.

Contrary to this post, I actually think I made the wrong choice in terms of value, but the right choice in terms of what I needed (Remembering, I had no idea it'd lag - will probably return it and get a 1050 if I can't prevent it), however, value for money isn't what I was aiming for; I was looking for the cheapest choice for what I needed - I just don't think it's as bad as some people are making out. The 1050 & 1050ti are probably world's ahead in terms of value, but as this isn't a machine I'd ever use for gaming, a 1050 is way OTT just for illustrator and 2D mobile games, hence the 1030 choice, and if I'd bought a 1050 I'd have been wasting money because I'd never have used the additional power