Low CPU/GPU loads and trash fps...

ExoTr0niK

Hi! 

so i'm rocking a i7 4790k since a few years now and i think it's still perfectly fine for the stuff i do with it... i also got a The crazy overbuilt version of zotac's gtx 1080 and it's been doing great i guess..? also got 16gb ram which never fills up more than 50% (with a ton of chrome tabs open and a game running..

However i got a huge problem..

If i run warframe for example on 1440p on medium settings, my cpu sits at about 50% load max and the gpu at less than 40, sometimes less than 30% load and i get trashy 40-50 fps

How come my cpu/gpu don't want to work harder to give me the experience i paid for when i got the stuff? 

I tried reinstalling windows and upgrading drivers and such already but it doesn't get fixed and it really starts to piss me off :(

thanks in advance and love y'all <3

That sounds like a bug to me with the game not being focused. Are you running on full screen mode? Also does it do anything different when you alt + tab and alt + tab back into game?

This sounds dumb but maybe turn up the graphics settings. My 4790k/Fury sometimes doesnt like it unless I have a constant GPU load. For example, in hots, if I run anything below the extreme preset I just get worse fps because my GPU downclocks and goes to ~50% usage and my CPU load goes to 100% on 2 cores. 

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

running the game in borderless windowed because i usually tab out a lot and have stuff going on on my second monitor..

will try to turn graphics settings up and give it a shot thanks for the tipp 

15 hours ago, Vegetable said:

This sounds dumb but maybe turn up the graphics settings. My 4790k/Fury sometimes doesnt like it unless I have a constant GPU load. For example, in hots, if I run anything below the extreme preset I just get worse fps because my GPU downclocks and goes to ~50% usage and my CPU load goes to 100% on 2 cores. 

I tried to max settings out and it doesn help.. cpu load is still at 30-40 most of the time, it sometimes peaks to close to 50% but i still get shitty sub 50 fps.. 

I tried turning v-sync and g-sync off/on but it doesn't make any difference either way

11 hours ago, ExoTr0niK said:

I tried to max settings out and it doesn help.. cpu load is still at 30-40 most of the time, it sometimes peaks to close to 50% but i still get shitty sub 50 fps.. 

I tried turning v-sync and g-sync off/on but it doesn't make any difference either way

Yeah that is quite odd then. My friend has a 4790k/1080 as well and it doesn't bottleneck really at all so I know that's not the issue here. What are your temperatures like on both you CPU/GPU and are you overclocked at all?

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

Same thing happens to me with my Ryzen 5 1600 OC to 3.9 Ghz and gtx 1080.

My CPU bottlenecks my GPU, Fortnite any settings, any resolution, same fps (1080p arround 120-150fps, same for 720p lowest settings etc).

I screwed up buying Ryzen cuz I thought it would be able to hold 144fps but eh damn, maybe i OC it to 4Ghz for a bit more stable fps closer to 144 for the higher refreshrate playing.