Your experience with buying used PC hardware

Crijix

Depends on the person. When I sell stuff I always show Benchmarks and thermals in my kijiji ad with HWmonitor and Unigine Heaven Benchmark / 3dmark firestrike

At least the individual can use both those scores and check if they are worthwhile to buy for gaming/vr (entertainment rigs hurhurhur)

But even when you have the most performance per $ on the web in your area, it is a struggle.

I couldn't sell a i7-3770k with 16 GB DDR3 ram, 128 GB SSD, 1 TB hard drive, Soundblaster recon 3d soundcard, GTX 970 EVGA SCC and a silverstone minitower case (teinjin matx version. Very nice), with a 850W evga modular bronze PSU for even $500 Can (like $350 USD). Changed the case to some shitty thermaltake with a window for $30 and threw a $10 RGB strip inside the case. $700+ later..... just fucking doesn't make any sense

I'm fine with used fan's and used CPU Coolers. (as i built with both used back 2013)

The thing I would not TRUST not even ONE bit is a dodgy PSU or a GPU (1080 for like 200 in ebay or kjiji) 

With Great Power, Comes a Great Electricity Bill

Main

Setup: Intel core i5-8400 (OC'd), MSI Z-370-A Pro, Crucial Ballistix 8GB, Be Quiet! Pure Slim, Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB, TP-Link Wifi Adapter, ASRock RX580, Artic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste, Logitech G105, Logitech M310, Razer Sphex V2 (Mat), EVGA 500W 80+ Silver, 1TB WD Blue, 240gb Kingston Digital

I think it depends on how active the second hand market in your country, with a active market, you could easily tell which seller are trustworthy or not. 

I bought quite a lot of second electronics, and all of them works as well as it should. Just research into what you are about to buy and know how it should behave. 

With common sense and some luck, you should be alright to save some money getting second handed.

On 28/8/2018 at 11:16 AM, Crijix said:

Hello, and first off I don't know if this belongs here, so my apologies.

Since I know for a fact that I am not gonna buy the new 20 series, because it will be way, way out of my budget. I thought that I will just either get the GTX 1070 or Ti version. But since I live in Denmark, the cards here a pretty expensive, even today, the GTX 1070 will cost me around 550 USD for a new one, but I can get a used one for around 400 USD give or take.

I'm really tempted to just go ahead and buy a used card, but I have never bought any hardware form someone. Whenever I ask the seller for some benchmark or pictures (They usually take a picture form Google) they will shut down and refuse faster than a rain drop. Shouldn't that ring the alarm bell?

So I wanna hear your guys experience on buying used parts and how well or bad that went for you.

Spend that extra money and get a new one, plus you'll a 2-year warranty. 

On a sidenote, you should use euro instead of dollars since their value is more stable. 

Bought an 8800GTX & 8800GTS from ebay in about late 2008-2009 time. Both still worked fine once they were past their usefulness, when they were retired. I sold the 8800GTS to my friend (drunken ebay bidding is not a good idea ;) ) for what I got it for once both cards had arrived. Still have the GTX around somewhere, probably still works.

Bought a Xeon E5-2683V3 from ebay nearly 2 years back now, still works fine.

Bought a Rampage II Extreme (possibly a III, I can't remember as it was years ago) from Amazon marketplace. One of the PCIe slots had a nice charred look on the PCB just below it and the board wouldn't boot. Returned & refunded as it was described as fully working.

I think that's about all I've bought that was more than a few quid for something.

Bought an used PC for 200€ last year.

It has a quad-core i7 (I think it is a 2600), a Zotac GTX 770 Amp, 8G of DDR3 and a 500G HDD.

The PSU is basic as can be, and the case is meh.

All in all still a great deal. The classified was poorly detailed tho.

Don't forget a lot of sellers aren't enthusiasts, and just don't know that much.

If you can go in person, it can be worth your while. If you can't, then yeah better be careful.

I'd never buy a used PSU,

I've sold GPU, Ram, Mobo and CPU that were all fine, so I assume other people would too.

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

My two computers that I recently build are made of 75% of used parts. Except power supply, motherboard and fans (and one case) rest was used, including SSDs. So far quitte happy. Selling things is wayyy worse because people want everything for free or have rather stupid demands.

Worst that happened to me was: getting scammed, part wasn't cleaned, and whiny gpu.

I've got a fair bit of used hardware, so far it's all working very well.

Except for one Athlon 64 motherboard where the SATA controller died on me.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

I've bought all manner of used gear for decades and never had issues.

But then again I know what I'm looking at/for.

YMMV

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me.