*UPDATED 9/5/2018* Tom's Hardware's Editor in Chief's Controversial RTX Article

-rascal-
1 hour ago, Peskanova said:

So we have good post-pro but bad graphics?

The eyeball itself is actually quite shitty, but the brain takes a whole lot of shitty information and assembles a perfect image.

If you want your mind blown google for some visual processing disorders.  One seminar I watched, the patient could not pick up a pencil because the brain could not process vertical information.  She could move it if it was horizontal to the eye but not vertical.   Glad I don't have those problems.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Ah, the good old method of silencing criticism to do damage control. 

The forums are probably going to lose a number of their best and most helpful members at this rate. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

4 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Ah, the good old method of silencing criticism to do damage control. 

Sounds like Communist Russia

Work Desktop: Dell Precision 5810 | Intel Xeon E5-1607 v4 | 8GB 2400 MHz ECC DDR4 | AMD FirePro w5100 4GB GDDR5

Laptop: MacBook Pro 15" | Intel i7-4870HQ | 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 | Nividia GeForce GT 750M 2GB GDDR5

12 hours ago, ZacoAttaco said:

They're handling this awfully.

Image result for this is fine meme

All jokes aside, I hope they can turn it around.

It's a good forum and it's been a helpful in the past for research when troubleshooting so I hope it sticks around.

It's what happens when technology review organisations/individuals appear to give up their independence and/or receive quid pro quo.

Forums/organisations like LTT, GamersNexus so on essentially commit suicide if they give up the number one priority:

Consumer audience

Who watch them and listen to them because they trust them.

It's why Linus went to such lengths to state how he's not ever going to give up independence. Plus how LMG makes revenues.

Even a hint of impropriety causes a disaster to reviewers.

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

On 29/08/2018 at 8:00 PM, Igor Wallossek said:

Yes. To Future plc, a UK company. They are visiting NY this week to complete the overtake. Panic mode now, nothing else :D

I licensed the German site in May, because they planned to close it completely. And they gave me only a naked MongoDB data dump without any doumentation of the structure, no shortcodes, simply nothing. And less than 3 weeks to migrate to an own server.  No user data, no forum. We restored all and were online. Their system is a pure mess and it was a horrible work - but done. Now we have the better system, a better forum and it seems also the better content. :D

Reading it it seems they were partly buying the platform and partly to expand in the U.S. 

Given the aggressive expansion strategy Future are adopting

Either that tool of an editor has been told to be controversial and generate a splash. To drive audience

Or Future are going to come in and quickly remove. Given damage to key audience they purchased.

It was a stupid article and the fact no one could initially tell if it was opinion or review says it all. Very poorly thought out. From the editor as well.

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

2 hours ago, mark_cameron said:

It was a stupid article and the fact no one could initially tell if it was opinion or review says it all. Very poorly thought out. From the editor as well.

I'm not so sure it's just a case of people not being able to tell but rather being dismayed that a reviewer would have that opinion at all and advise people to buy a product before reviews, their actual business they are in. More a credibility issue which is something that is assessed all the time with all actions and so much easier to lose than gain.

15 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I'm not so sure it's just a case of people not being able to tell but rather being dismayed that a reviewer would have that opinion at all and advise people to buy a product before reviews, their actual business they are in. More a credibility issue which is something that is assessed all the time with all actions and so much easier to lose than gain.

yep, two very different reasons to be disillusioned with Toms, one was the confusion over the type of article and the other was the severity of the article opinion or not.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

20 hours ago, leadeater said:

Aye. common sense. To allow independent testing first.

It smells of impropriety.

So let's see, what will happen next week. I think, they will cancel my license contract or something similar and stupid in worst case. But I have no interest to damage my own business with this shit. Better to play the Raider = Twix game :D

On 8/25/2018 at 4:24 AM, leadeater said:

The more GPUs you buy the more money you save

I just bought 10 1080 Ti's. Look at all the money I saved. You saved me a lifetime of debt. Thank you.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

8 minutes ago, Igor Wallossek said:

So let's see, what will happen next week. I think, they will cancel my license contract or something similar and stupid in worst case. But I have no interest to damage my own business with this shit. Better to play the Raider = Twix game :D

I'm looking forward to reading reviews from IgorsHardware.com

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I have two contracts, a license contract for the brand name (and .de domain) in all German speaking areas, And a content contract. This was one of the contitions from Purch for the license, to have continued access to my CPU and VGA stuff. But Avram never moved anything over. I served them all this things on a silver platter, but no chance against all this Lego, laptop and Just-buy-it things. The Avangers are simply stronger than AMD, it's a fact :D

Compare our very different thinking about testing or reviewing by yourself:

Avram:

I've Tested Hundreds of Laptops. Here's Why I Bought a ThinkPad X1 Carbon

Igor:

PNY PrevailPro P4000 Laptop Review: Quadro Workstation Power, Consumer Chassis

He is really testing? Or only unboxing? One of my friends has tested on the same way (and more in-depth) thousands (!) of laptops, because he is working as QM and Dev in a big OEM/ODM factory. But don't call this unboxing things and Buy It! arcticles a review. :D

28 minutes ago, Igor Wallossek said:

Just based on the differences in titles, your site already seems more legitimate. His just sounds like clickbait and yours sounds like its objective and I'll be able to get good information from it.

Work Desktop: Dell Precision 5810 | Intel Xeon E5-1607 v4 | 8GB 2400 MHz ECC DDR4 | AMD FirePro w5100 4GB GDDR5

Laptop: MacBook Pro 15" | Intel i7-4870HQ | 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 | Nividia GeForce GT 750M 2GB GDDR5

So let's wait, what will happen in the next days (or not). :)

(A) If they decide to return to real reviews and quality content, it's good and nice. They can take my stuff and we can do all as usual.

(B) If they continue this style and cancel my contract, I will use plan B to publish all under an own brand in both languages

Currently I can't publish in English (due this contract), but with an own brand I can (and will). So it makes at the end for me no difference. The brand TH is in Germany replaceble, because I'm more popular. I saw this after the restart on our own server with an own CMS, self-made framework and a better forum. This all was a private investment, but works awesome. The readers are quoting my name, not TH.

My ad partners are mostly German companies or branch offices of global so far and they only have a look at the reach and the person behind the publication. So for me it is at the end the same as before. With an own English page I can earn even more. :D

But for all VGA stuff (but not only)  the complete international sampling was running over me. I wish them in US a good weather and a nice day, because nearly all contacts to the industry are very close and more or less private. For me it makes again no difference, because I will not lose it.

@kting15

When I review something, I make a complete tear down, PCB analysis, component analysis, craftmanship, power consumption measuring, thermal with IR cam and noise in my chamber. Plus all the needed benchmarks. But to do this, the reviewer must also understand the production process, PCB development and a lot more. I came from the industry, this guy not.. And to be honest: I have no idea what him qualified to review notebooks.

4 hours ago, Igor Wallossek said:

@kting15

When I review something, I make a complete tear down, PCB analysis, component analysis, craftmanship, power consumption measuring, thermal with IR cam and noise in my chamber. Plus all the needed benchmarks. But to do this, the reviewer must also understand the production process, PCB development and a lot more. I came from the industry, this guy not.. And to be honest: I have no idea what him qualified to review notebooks.

Do you take a look a the fans and bearing of the fans? Or at least the Amperage of the Fan.

That info seems to be pretty rare.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

I guess a final update.

Found of Tom's Hardware, as in *THE* Thomas Pabst responded to Gamer's Nexus' video.

He, too, is just a confused as 'Tech Jesus'

...Yes, this is madness, and good old Tom is scratching his head no less than you are, Steve!...

Also, potential come back collaboration with Igor?

@Igor Wallossek

... I’m not in control of Tom’s Hardware anymore, but Igor and I are currently contemplating some kind of come back...

Source (Tom's personal response to Gamer's Nexus): https://www.facebook.com/GamersNexus/posts/10155799307847825

Source (Gamer's Nexus show notes): https://www.gamersnexus.net/industry/3361-hw-news-tom-pabst-responds-to-toms-hardware-pc-tariff-prices

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

This is how to destroy a media in a blink of a eye. Once you loss credibility, you are gone. (In my ideal world)

No one in the media industry should be able to just walk away with such BS.

TH used to be the go-to site for me… *sigh*

[Second Update]

I posted a direct reply to a TomsHW forum mod that had directly posted @myusername explaining why he thinks I should stay and not delete my account and data.
So I took the time to explain my reasoning behind it and how I felt, I thought I'd done a good job, I wasn't rude or argumentative at all, this was the post:

Spoiler

[I am not trying to highjack someone's thread, not at all, as a mod has posted and addressed me directly I am merely replying to them.]
P.S. Sorry for the essay. 

Hi Ralston18,

I do understand what you mean regarding trying to help by staying and lending a hand to fix the issue/s, in many cases I would totally agree as we all make mistakes, I have made many just in this one thread and few posts, but I see little that anyone can do when the editor-in-chief himself puts out an article like that and sees fit to stand by it, seemingly refusing to listen to other points of view and then either he (Avram Piltch) or other management within TomsHW decided to start silencing people including their own employees. That to me stinks of management that won't admit fault, won't listen to people around them including their audience, wants to control everything/everyone and is willing to burn the place to the ground before admitting fault.
Maybe I'm being pessimistic but if I am it's because I've experienced this before and seen the results.

It may have been one mans opinion and not a representation of the collective within TomsHW, I get that, but for me and seemingly many others too that is literally our point! He can have his opinion as can we all, most of us seem to agree his opinion is ridiculous but he's entitled to it all the same - (the old phrase: opinions are like buttholes springs to mind), - that's not the issue though, the issue is that the editor-in-chief thought it a good idea to use this professional, trusted, unbias tech news/journalism site to get on a soapbox and tell everyone to do something ridiculous that pretty much everyone within the whole industry (excluding manufactures/sellers for obvious reasons) agrees that pre-ordering is utterly nonsensical and moronic, especially when it's brand new technology that we know virtually nothing about and have no data on. Yet, whether he is the type of person that throws money at his screen everytime a company announces something new and shiny or not, the fact remains that the editor-in-chief thought it a good idea to push his personal opinion on the front page like it was a normal Tom's Hardware article based on unbias research, data, benchmarks and Facts, and didn't think that might be misleading, plus either no one interjected or they did and he ignored them going ahead thinking this was acceptable and a good idea.
Add to the fact that the article reads like Nvidia themselves wrote it as a promotional advertisement. It got a lot of people thinking this wasn't just one person's opinion but actually something far more serious and nefarious, like a paid ad that wasn't disclosed or made clear, at the very least a behind closed doors quid pro quo; you post this article then completely coincidentally and unrelated, Toms Hardware might get a big Nvidia exclusive in a few weeks, *wink wink
Whether this is true or completely unfounded I don't know, but the fact that it reads like that for so many different people should be extremely troubling.

Either way, even if we go with this is just one mans opinion and there's nothing shady going on, it is very concerning that as editor-in-chief his primary thought was not; "Should I be posting my own biased opinion on here or should I post it on my own social media and/or blog where personal opinions go. - Also, I need to make it clear in the heading and/or the first line that this is Not a TomsHW article, it's merely one person's opinion and thoughts which has no representation of anyone else, therefore what I'm saying may be wrong, bias, based on nothing but gut feeling and should be taken with a pinch of salt." I'm not a journalist or editor-in-chief but this seems pretty obvious to me as something important, yet it didn't for him.

As I said previously the article was bad enough and unravelled a lot of trust built up over years with many people but the aftermath just dumped a bucket of gasoline onto the flames. Deleting posts and threads, banning members, banning Tom's Hardware employees; mods, staff, editors... just for speaking out and offering their own opinions on the subject. So it's OK for the editor-in-chief to sound off his own opinion but when the staff do it heads start to role, no, that is complete and utter bullcrap and everyone should be in agreement with that at least. The whole way this has been handled, the posts I've seen that haven't had any profanity, name-calling, or wild accusations, just members opinions on the article suddenly disappearing and the OP didn't remove it themselves, the fact that Avram Piltch has left the article up to continue doing damage and harming nieve consumers that might read it and take it as trusted and tested facts; yeah sure a disclaimer has been added saying it's just one mans opinion but what good is that, how many people read the small print, it should have been abundantly clear in the title from the start.

Sorry not sorry, this whole thing stinks and has left a foul taste in the mouths of a Lot of people, I can't speak for anyone else but I have spoken with many people, even some that throw money at companies just based on buzzwords and hype, and yet I haven't spoken with one person that didn't believe the article had some shady backroom deal attached to it and the PR handling of the situation hasn't been just a complete dumpster fire.

I'm sad that this is where I now stand, as I said previously, I've enjoyed a lot of time here and respected this company and the people within, one mistake, for the most part, shouldn't and wouldn't destroy all of that in one swoop but this wasn't one mistake, it was many and seems to be continuing.
I simply can't trust a company like that any longer.

[Edit] - to add two words

And... it was instantly deleted by the mod Mousemonkey with the message: (the same mod by the way that has deleted most of my posts recently)

"Okay, we get it you want your account deleted and I'm sure someone will get around to it at some point. No need for off topic walls of text, any more will just be deleted."
So this is Tom's Hardware now, a few mods are still cool and will try to engage in polite conversation with members, you take the time to reply and another mod comes along and says "F**k you! Everything you post, even polite helpful things I will instantly delete because we disagree about something and because I can."

[Edit] and he deleted all replies asking why my post and everyone else's has been deleted. Haha, he seems to be on a personal mission to delete everything that doesn't suit his narrative.

Build: "The Cake Is A Lie" - (Portal 2 Theme)  Wall Mounted (in a ThermalTake Core P8 all sides removed)  Ryzen 5900X • 64GB Team Group Dark Pro (B-Dies) 3600MHz CL16 • ASUS X570-E Gaming • EK Quantum Plexi Monoblock  MSI RTX 3090 Suprim X  EK Quantum Plexi Block  2TB Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 NVME  8TB Samsung 870 QVO  Corsair RM 850X 2x EK P480M Radiators   PrimoChill Fittings  2x D5 Pumps  Monsoon MMRS Pump Housing  2x HeatKiller Tube 200 Reservoirs  

7 hours ago, Euphoria said:

And... it was instantly deleted by the mod Mousemonkey with the message: (the same mod by the way that has deleted most of my posts recently)

"Okay, we get it you want your account deleted and I'm sure someone will get around to it at some point. No need for off topic walls of text, any more will just be deleted."
So this is Tom's Hardware now, a few mods are still cool and will try to engage in polite conversation with members, you take the time to reply and another mod comes along and says "F**k you! Everything you post, even polite helpful things I will instantly delete because we disagree about something and because I can."

[Edit] and he deleted all replies asking why my post and everyone else's has been deleted. Haha, he seems to be on a personal mission to delete everything that doesn't suit his narrative.

This is disheartening. :(

2 hours ago, ZacoAttaco said:

This is disheartening. :(

Yes, but to be expected in this day and age.

That you can't put a dumpster fire out by saying there is no dumpster fire and only make it worse if you censor people should be obvious.

If you censor people in your forum because of your mistakes, they go elsewhere and spread the word. As long as they only flame in your forum, you kinda have it contained. If you ban everyone, it spreads...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"