Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Intel's new microcode update forbids benchmark comparisons

2 minutes ago, KendoSapion said:

If you haven't noticed there are a LOT of nvidia fans claiming to be jumping ship, it's mostly just overreaction to the press conference but people are still very sketched out with the new RTX cards

that is nothing new

not even close to same shit at all, nvidia is supposedly offering the performance 2x the power

this is possibly removing performance and you must shut your mouth about it

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

You sound as if this is a life or death situation

This kind of behaviour from any company is completely unacceptable.

Consumers deserve to know the truth and nothing less than the whole truth. Censoring people because of Intel's shortcomings is not acceptable.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill

iPhone 8 Plus (Mid 2019 to present)

Samaritan XL (Early 2018 - present with 2019 GPU upgrade and 2020 RAM upgrade and 2020 HDD upgrade) - AMD Ryzen 7 1700X (8C/16T) , MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, Corsair 32GB Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 (2020) ,  Asus ROG Strix RX Vega 56 , Corsair RM850i PSU, Corsair H100i v2 CPU Cooler, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD, Seagate BarraCuda 6TB HDD (2020) , NZXT S340 Elite, Corsair ML 120 Pro, Corsair ML 140 Pro

3 minutes ago, KendoSapion said:

If you haven't noticed there are a LOT of nvidia fans claiming to be jumping ship, it's mostly just overreaction to the press conference but people are still very sketched out with the new RTX cards

Yes this is why you can't currently buy a 2080ti from their site. Because all of them jumped ship.

Intel is one thing but you must be insane to think that AMD is happy with NVIDIA's situation from last couple of days.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

There's no way this is legal. However, if somehow they manage to gag the press on this and I don't get any valid comparison to go on, I will assume this update cuts performance in half and will tell that to everyone who asks.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

This kind of behaviour from any company is completely unacceptable.

Consumers deserve to know the truth and nothing less than the whole truth. Censoring people because of Intel's shortcomings is not acceptable.

Its just limiting benchmarks which are point less. Renders, gaming, compiling are all better test anyway. 

Again such a life or death, "Bruh, ma rights" type of uproar over this. 

6 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Its just limiting benchmarks which are point less. Renders, gaming, compiling are all better test anyway. 

consumers have the right to know their products and benchmarks help pinpoint strengths and weakenesses for a consumers workload needs

7 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

I am no lawyer so I won't even pretend to know the full lengths of what this legal document means, but the way I read it it seems like you won't be allowed to make comparisons. That would include for example rendering something with and without the patch, and the comparing the results.

they could literally say 10 million dollar fines and there will still be benchmarks, especially from chinese sites, China gives no fucks

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

4 minutes ago, pas008 said:

consumers have the right to know their products and benchmarks help pinpoint strengths and weakenesses for a consumers workload needs

Again as I said Renders, gaming, compiling are all better test anyway. Real world performance results. 

But 

4 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I am no lawyer so I won't even pretend to know the full lengths of what this legal document means, but the way I read it it seems like you won't be allowed to make comparisons. That would include for example rendering something with and without the patch, and the comparing the results.

I cant see them enforcing this or how they even would. 

25 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Yeah, those stupid sheep screaming about their rights. Intel is right! Why should WE have the right to compare products? What did we do to deserve such a right? From now on, we should all only trust AMD's, Intel's and Nvidia's benchmarks! Independent bench markers were probably all liars anyway. I don't understand at all how anyone could be mad about this move from intel, it's just another bandwagon of hate, another lynch mob.

Anyways, yeah there's no way Intel can enforce this, but that doesn't mean we should be happy about this.

Current Rig

i7 2600k @ 4.7ghz 1.4v - EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 @ 1500mhz - 16GB Hyper x Fury 1866 - Asus p8z77-v lk (1$) - 250GB SSD - 2x1TB HDD storage - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

FX 8320 Rig

FX 8320 @ 4.5ghz - EVGA GTX 770 SC 2GB - 16GB RAM - 250GB SSD - CM 212 EVO - Asus M5A97 R2.0 - EVGA 500w Bronze - CM Elite 430 Black

Xeon Rig

Xeon e3 1240 @3.3ghz - EVGA GTX 670 - 16GB RAM - 250GB SSD - CM Hyper T2 - Seasonic 500w Bronze- Rosewill Micro ATX

Nahelem Rig

i7 860 @ 3.7ghz - 8GB DDR3 - GTX 670 - 250GB SSD

And of course, my q6600 rig

q6600 @ 3.4ghz 1.45v - Zalman copper cooler - 8GB DDR2 - GTX 560ti - 250GB SSD

Server 1: FX 6100 @ 3.8ghz - 12GB DDR3

Server 2 - q6700 @ 3.2ghz - 8GB DDR3

PFSense router: Core 2 Duo @3.16ghz - 4GB DDR3 - 64GB SSD - 16 port tplink gigabit switch

Openmediavault: 4TB - 4GB DDR2 - q6600

The 5$ Laptop (Asus r510c) (+60$ worth of upgrades)

Core i5 i5-3337U 1.8ghz (2.5ghz) - 240gb SSD - 320gb WD Black - 8GB DDR3 - Intel HD Graphics 4000

HTPC - Wolf In Sheep's Clothing (Crappy HP OEM SFF case and PSU from 2009)

AMD A8 6800k @4.2ghz - GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 - 8GB DDR3 - 250GB SP SSD - Some Asus FM2+ motherboard

Bedroom HTPC - The 939 Monster

AMD Athlon 64 x2 @ 2.8ghz - HD 3850 256mb - 4GB DDR400 - 80GB WD Blue IDE - SOCKET 939 BITCHES

3 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Again as I said Renders, gaming, compiling are all better test anyway. Real world performance results. 

But 

I cant see them enforcing this or how they even would. 

benchmarks simulate those

but yes I cant see them forcing it,

its just an attempt at restricting info all at once but backfired already

53 minutes ago, Eroda said:

they could literally say 10 million dollar fines and there will still be benchmarks, especially from chinese sites, China gives no fucks

gl taking chinese people to CN courts and actually winning!!

37 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

gl taking chinese people to CN courts and actually winning!!

To even have a chance you must partner with a local company and register the patents through said local company. When some other local company infringes on the patent, then the takedown must be represented through the local company

if the partner defaults and kicks you out and you want to sue them to get your patent rights back, see step 1. Chances are you'd lose because they have a valid patent

(or so I was told of how it works from various places ._.)

Yes master as you wish... I will pay the same money for the 6700k in 2018 as i did back in 2015 for I eat mud... I will not question the EULA for intel is law... please grace us with your wisdom oh great intel and bestow upon us more microcodes to fend off those sheeple talking about "consumer rights" and "moral decency"....amen

System
CPU:Ryzen 3 2200G, Motherboard:ASUS Prime X470-Pro, RAM:G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB), GPU:EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC GAMING,Case:Corsair - SPEC-02, Storage:Seagate - Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM / Crucial - MX500 250GB 2.5", PSU:EVGA - BT 450W 80+ Bronze, Display:

VIOTEK GN32DB 32-Inch Curved Gaming Monitor, Cooling:Wraith Stealth Cooler,Keyboard:Logitech Desktop MK120, Mouse:Logitech Desktop MK120, Sound:Logitech Z313 Speaker System, Operating System:Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Yeah, something is smelly 

2018 has been a real doozy for Intel. Makes me kinda sad that I have a Kaby Lake i7. 

Then again, it's a laptop, so it's not like I have much of a choice 

The Workhorse

R7 3700X | RTX 2070 Super | 32GB DDR4-3200 | 512GB SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Barracuda Compute | Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Station

Core i7 7700H | GTX 1060 | 8GB DDR4-2400 | 128GB SSD + 1TB HGST | Windows 10

Samsung Galaxy Note8 SM-N950F

Exynos 8895 ARM Mali G71 MP20 | 6GB LPDDR4 | 64GB internal + 128GB microSD | 6.3" 1440p "Infinity Display" AMOLED | Android Pie 9.0 w/ OneUI

tfw amd rapes you in price/performance so you just block comparisons rather than accepting a loss and trying to win the game

Local dickhead and VHS collector. Collector of random copies of Fantavision and Gran Turismo 3: A-spec.

Volume / Normalized 100% / 98% (content loudness 0.1dB)

@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie | Jake x Brendan :^

4 hours ago, exetras said:

Intel released a Microcode Update, with it a new EULA. which has a mention that you are not allowed to publish benchmark. Its written pretty openly so that they could take down content they dont like.

If they continue this way, how long until a big class action lawsuit hits them?!

Can't be far...

And it would be interesting if Intel gets ordered to replace all the defective processors...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Okay, hear me out. How fucking spooked is Intel for them to just put that in the EULA?

I don't understand why it'd be in there UNLESS they were scared of some shit coming out.

Local dickhead and VHS collector. Collector of random copies of Fantavision and Gran Turismo 3: A-spec.

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

Okay, hear me out. How fucking spooked is Intel for them to just put that in the EULA?

They must of known it'll have a significant impact on performence to bother implementing a EULA in the first place. 

2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I don't understand why it'd be in there UNLESS they were scared of some shit coming out.

The only numbers I've seen (linked in OP or OP's source) showed some numbers Intel themselves published.

Those numbers coming from Intel means that the real workloads people use which aren't best case scenario will probably end up killing any advantage Hyper Threading had.

So worst case scenario we'll probably see same perf as if it had no hyper threading.

If so, this makes the 9700K 8C/8T sound a lot more plausible if Intel knew this all along.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill

iPhone 8 Plus (Mid 2019 to present)

Samaritan XL (Early 2018 - present with 2019 GPU upgrade and 2020 RAM upgrade and 2020 HDD upgrade) - AMD Ryzen 7 1700X (8C/16T) , MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, Corsair 32GB Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 (2020) ,  Asus ROG Strix RX Vega 56 , Corsair RM850i PSU, Corsair H100i v2 CPU Cooler, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD, Seagate BarraCuda 6TB HDD (2020) , NZXT S340 Elite, Corsair ML 120 Pro, Corsair ML 140 Pro

I have news:

Gamersnexus received that statement from intel O_O

https://www.gamersnexus.net/industry/3357-intel-statement-on-benchmark-clause

I think it's safe to guess LTT received it as well? o_o

EDIT: I jumped the gun here ,_,

GamersNexus reached-out to Intel for comment. The company noted that more updates will be available later, but immediately noted that the licensing agreement is being updated to reflect concerns from the community. Intel’s statement reads: “We are updating the license now to address this and will have a new version available soon. As an active member of the open source community, we continue to welcome all feedback.”

3 hours ago, KendoSapion said:

Honestly until they cards release and reviews are out the damage from the new lone if cards is kinda unknown. Also it's good to note that the cards still sold out really fast. 

10 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

I have news:

Gamersnexus received that statement from intel O_O

https://www.gamersnexus.net/industry/3357-intel-statement-on-benchmark-clause

I think it's safe to guess LTT received it as well? o_o

EDIT: I jumped the gun here ,_,

Intel really seems to suck at listening to the community if they added that thing in the first place.