Faster download speed

jakobbt

i have a question, i am downloading steam games at 14mbps but is there any way i can get that even higher? i know its already a good speed in compare to others but i was wondering if you should go out and spend some hardware or you could just do it for free with some software, im really curious about this since i would really look forward to actually gain acess to faster downloading speeds. 

Pay for faster internet?

If you have 14 mbps internet coming into your computer from your internet service provider, you wont be able to magically make it faster.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

how fast is your internet speed, is it by total coincidence 14mbps?

how fast you download on steam is directly tied to your internet speed with some limitations that steam is not as fast as people think.

i can download at up to 450mbps but rarely get more then 200 on steam.

1 minute ago, Gamerfiend_ said:

Steam's servers aren't that great for downloads anyway to be honest, I have a 200+Mbps connection and the highest DL speed on steam Ive seen is just below 30Mbps, I wouldn't worry too much, but you could always look at router upgrades

Try to change your download server, i get the full speed for my downloads, so you either live far from steam servers or you have some other issue.

Steam's servers aren't that great for downloads anyway to be honest, I have a 200+Mbps connection and the highest DL speed on steam Ive seen is just below 30Mbps, I wouldn't worry too much, but you could always look at router upgrades

ISPs usually report their speeds in Megabits per second, whereas Steam reports in megabytes per second -- 30 megabytes per second is about 240 megabits per second, so you are actually getting the speeds you're paying, mate.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, Origami Cactus said:

Try to change your download server, i get the full speed for my downloads, so you either live far from steam servers or you have some other issue.

No, he just doesn't understand the difference between megabits and megabytes.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Your download speeds are factered by a number of things most notably your isp, and the plan you pay for. Though your NIC in your computer can influence this too sometimes. Most mobos ship out of the box with gigabit networking so that is more then enough to handle any internet connection your sending to it. At least in the case of Res class internet. One other thing you can do on your end is keep traffic on your local network to a min. This means more bandwidth will be available for steam.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

i do understand the difference and obviously the difference i posted with having 450mbps and only getting around 200mbps as download from steam can not be explained by not understanding megabit and bytes.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

Isnt the steam default megabits per second?

My steam downloads are in megabits.

But if he confused the 2 that would be logical, because 30*8=240

1 minute ago, Pixel5 said:

i do understand the difference and obviously the difference i posted with having 450mbps and only getting around 200mbps as download from steam can not be explained by not understanding megabit and bytes.

we are talking about @Gamerfiend_

1 minute ago, Origami Cactus said:

Isnt the steam default megabits per second?

No, it's megabytes per second. Even when you go to settings -> Downloads, the bandwidth-limit box lists the limits in kilobytes per second or megabytes per second, not kilobits or megabits.

10 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

how fast is your internet speed, is it by total coincidence 14mbps?

how fast you download on steam is directly tied to your internet speed with some limitations that steam is not as fast as people think.

i can download at up to 450mbps but rarely get more then 200 on steam.

i have 100/100 mbit and i get 14mpbs, but im still wondering if you could buy some hardware to get it over the 14mbps. 

5 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

No, it's megabytes per second. Even when you go to settings -> Downloads, the bandwidth-limit box lists the limits in kilobytes per second or megabytes per second, not kilobits or megabits.

steamdownload.JPG.df2ceea9bc0fa5f24a6b30bf1fb90133.JPG Looks like Megabits to me

2 minutes ago, Gamerfiend_ said:

and my internet is Virgin media Fibre @ 200 Megabytes per second Vivid

You sure? Internet speed is usually given in megabits, 200MB per second internet would be over a gigabit.

2 minutes ago, Gamerfiend_ said:

and my internet is Virgin media Fibre @ 200 Megabytes per second Vivid

Virgin reports their Internet-speeds in megabits per second, not megabytes per second.

1 minute ago, jakobbt said:

i have 100/100 mbit and i get 14mpbs, but im still wondering if you could buy some hardware to get it over the 14mbps. 

100/8= 12.5, so seems like you already have a bit of a boost by having 14 MB/s.

2 minutes ago, jakobbt said:

14 megabytes per second on a 100Mbps line is actually a bit over the limit you're paying for, so no, you can't just buy hardware to get even more speed.

2 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

steamdownload.JPG.df2ceea9bc0fa5f24a6b30bf1fb90133.JPG Looks like Megabits to me

By default it's megabytes per second, you must have toggled the checkbox in the settings to show in megabits instead.

& Ive spent a lot of time talking packages and speeds with Virgin who have assured me after many conversations "You are being supplied with 200 Megabyte connection" , Ive had many arguments with them over throttling even though it was advertised as a 200 Vivid haha

Mate, look at e.g. https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/speeds.html -- those are all MEGABITS per second, not megabytes. Whoever sold you the connection was talking out of their ass.

& Ive spent a lot of time talking packages and speeds with Virgin who have assured me after many conversations "You are being supplied with 200 Megabyte connection" , Ive had many arguments with them over throttling even though it was advertised as a 200 Vivid haha

Then the ISP level 1 people have no clue what the difference between a bit and a byte is.

I can guarantee you are not getting 1.6Gbits download speed.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

This thread is so full of confused people that I'll lay out the rules here:

• 1 megabyte = 8 megabits, so 100 megabits per second would be around 12.5 megabytes per second, ie. 100 / 8 = 12.5
  • Megabits per second is marked with Mbps, megabytes per second is MBps -- notice the capital B. This is important and a lot of people don't bother to see the difference.
  • ISPs nearly always report their speeds in megabits per second, ie. in Mbps, but Steam, by default, reports download-speeds in MBps
  • All the various speedtests you can find everywhere can report either Mbps or MBps, it's up to you to pay attention whether it's a capital 'B' there or not.