DSLR Debauchery - Huawei caught faking camera shots

rcmaehl

Sources:

The Verge
Android Central

TL;DR:

With some expert framing Huawei attempted to pass off DSLR photos as phone selfie images.

Media:

DDT5o8z.jpg

Quotes/Excerpts:

There’s just no substitute for a full-sized DSLR. Unfortunately, it seems that Huawei thinks so, too. ...The company’s latest commercial for its new Nova 3.. has been revealed... to be a DSLR, not the smartphone as the ad alleges. ...Halfway through the ad, a bickering couple takes a selfie together apparently to show off how Huawei’s AI and camera tech make it so that the woman doesn’t need to put on makeup. But a since-deleted Instagram picture...reveals that... the shot in question came from a DSLR, shot by a professional photographer. The Nova 3 doesn’t seem in be in the frame at all. ...The ad never outright claims that the picture was shot on a Nova 3 (although one could argue that it was heavily implied). This isn’t exactly Huawei’s first marketing mishap... caught Photoshopping away bezels on renderings for the P8,  and it was found to have posted... a P9 on its Google+ page that EXIF data revealed to have been shot on a Canon EOS 5D Mark III.

Huawei releases a ton of phones throughout the year... most recent handsets is the Nova 3. ...One of its biggest features being its powerful selfie camera and AI features that accompany it. A short 30-second ad for the Nova 3 was recently released, and in it, we see a man and women taking selfies... one of which... she's apprehensive as she doesn't have any makeup on. Nova 3's AI beauty mode comes to the rescue by digitally altering her face... Sarah Elshamy is the actress shown... she shared a photo while behind the scenes of the commercial...  the pictures used in the commercial to showcase the Nova 3's selfie camera weren't actually taken with a Nova 3, they were taken with a DSLR instead. In the now-deleted picture, we can see the male actor in front of the DSLR holding his hand out. It's a nice reminder that not everything is as it seems when it comes to these "camera samples."

My Thoughts:
I'm sure this isn't the first time a company has done such a thing, however, it makes me wonder how confident Huawei is with their own AI. If you're not willing to rep the product as is you should probably work on improving it.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

I am wondering if this has anything to do with their AI. Seems more likely to me that they are simply not that confident in their image sensor. However I think this hate is overdoing it. Yes I get that people could get misguided by the way the commercial is set-up but, well frankly I think they never claim the pictures are shot with the phone.

And yes. Feel free to disagree with me on the basis that they are 'supposed' te represent pictures that the phone makes. To me it just feels like a big deal over nothing.

23 minutes ago, mathizel said:

I think they never claim the pictures are shot with the phone.

And yes. Feel free to disagree with me on the basis that they are 'supposed' te represent pictures that the phone makes. To me it just feels like a big deal over nothing.

It's misleading marketing at best, and the shot was meant to show their AI at work. If it's not done with the phone, the LEAST they can do is put a big fat disclaimer in the corner.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Chinese brand...is anyone surprised when they cheat and lie? 

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

All of the jokes I want to make would probably get me banned, so all I can really say is are we really shocked?

Wait, what? I need to know them now. I can't think of what bannable joke you could even make here.

9 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

All of the jokes I want to make would probably get me banned, so all I can really say is are we really shocked?

It's not really racism to say it's a Chinese national sport to cut as many corners as possible without getting caught.  They don't care about quality or morality of putting out a product that won't harm its customers.  It's 100% all about maximizing profits for yourself....today.  Even if you catch them fucking up they'll just blame you for having expectations that are too high, not paying enough, not being vigilant enough in watching them, etc.

Their attitude honestly holds them back from sitting with major countries on the world stage.  We only care about them now because they're useful as cheap labor and industry.  The world however still views them as basically children who need to be watched with a close eye or else they will misbehave.

(tangent).

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Just now, AnonymousGuy said:

It's not really racism to say it's a Chinese national sport to cut as many corners as possible without getting caught.  They don't care about quality or morality of putting out a product that won't harm its customers.  It's 100% all about maximizing profits for yourself....today.  Even if you catch them fucking up they'll just blame you for having expectations that are too high, not paying enough, not being vigilant enough in watching them, etc.

It's not that, it's just I can make tasteless jokes so edgy even I don't think they're funny.

Trust me, my humor is pretty damn tasteless. To be fair, it's also pretty damn colorblind.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Hilarious.  I like that he's not even holding a phone.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

On 20/08/2018 at 6:19 PM, rcmaehl said:

Sources:

The Verge
Android Central

TL;DR:

With some expert framing Huawei attempted to pass off DSLR photos as phone selfie images.

Media:

DDT5o8z.jpg

Quotes/Excerpts:

My Thoughts:
I'm sure this isn't the first time a company has done such a thing, however, it makes me wonder how confident Huawei is with their own AI. If you're not willing to rep the product as is you should probably work on improving it.

Depending on country

That could classed as false advertising 

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

"everyone does this"

Erm....

The only caveat is that they used additional equipment like gimbals and used some editing software. But it was still the iPhones camera. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Many US and European companies have misrepresented their products before many times.  As soon as a Chinese company does it some of you claim it is because they are Chinese.  9_9

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Apple just prefers to lie about other things like known hardware defects : ^ )

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

8 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Don't forget the valuation of their properties too lulululuul

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

He's not even holding a phone, that's hilarious. . .

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

Low and behold, the pictures used in the commercial to showcase the Nova 3's selfie camera weren't actually taken with a Nova 3 — they were taken with a DSLR instead.

I'm not even surprised. It's advertising. It's all fake. Who cares?
They weren't making claims that it was shot with their camera, they're just trying to sell the lifestyle associated with being able to take quality looking photos with your phone camera.

Next people will be complaining that cereal ads don't even use real milk.

Spoiler

Spoiler alert: It's glue

Spoiler

image.png.98d3247d55b77ca99d86149988d899b6.png

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

12 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Their attitude honestly holds them back from sitting with major countries on the world stage.  We only care about them now because they're useful as cheap labor and industry.  The world however still views them as basically children who need to be watched with a close eye or else they will misbehave.

(tangent).

China is arguably the third most powerful nation on earth. Definitely one of the worlds strongest economies and a technological stronghold. I don't think anyone views them as children. I certainly feel that way about quite a few people in the United States however. 

24 minutes ago, Spotty said:

They weren't making claims that it was shot with their camera, they're just trying to sell the lifestyle associated with being able to take quality looking photos with your phone camera.

There's a difference between presenting an "ideal form" of a product to presenting something that you could never achieve with the product.  That's "truth in advertising" so unless they can show that their front facing camera takes DSLR quality photos (it can't...full stop),  they would need an * somewhere saying "photo not taken with phone camera".

And this ends up bolstering the fuck out of the "Shot with iPhone" campaign, where it *was* shot with an iPhone under the best conditions possible (rig, lighting, post processing, pro audio, etc)

16 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Chinese brand...is anyone surprised when they cheat and lie? 

As if companies from other countries wouldn't do that. 

Before anyone says it, there's a fine difference between using a dedicated camera to take a photo to illustrate what you could do with that phone versus using the phone itself (and sometimes additional equipment used and editing) to show what that camera can do. 

All they had to do? A little disclaimer. 

And also following the damn train 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

4 hours ago, Spotty said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler alert: It's glue

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.98d3247d55b77ca99d86149988d899b6.png

Advertising is not about insidiously lying to potential customers.

It is about putting anything you want to sell under its best spotlight, hence taking an actual picture with a phone and then using any kind of software to enhance the picture is fine to me, because this is something you can reproduce yourself.

But taking a picture with a professional camera and then claim that this picture was taken with the phone ? Sorry, but it's not how it is suppose to work.

You want to buy a guitar amplifier, you listen to samples on the manufacturer website (samples which, of course, have been mixed and recorded in the best condition in a normal advertising situation), but in the end you realize the samples were recorded with a total different amp ?

It is really not a way to do things.

CPU: i7 4790K | MB: Asus Z97-A | RAM: 32Go Hyper X Fury 1866MHz | GPU's: GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Corsair AX 850 | Storage: Vertex 3, 2x Sandisk Ultra II,Velociraptor | Case : Corsair Air 540

Mice: Steelseries Rival | KB: Corsair K70 RGB | Headset: Steelseries H wireless

16 hours ago, mr moose said:

Many US and European companies have misrepresented their products before many times.  As soon as a Chinese company does it some of you claim it is because they are Chinese.  9_9

I agree with you that all companies can and have misrepresented products in the past but the Chinese market is also one of the most notorious for bootlegs/cutting corners on production and such.  Which I think has less to them being Chinese and more just the business practices and strategies they've adopted.

Spoiler

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTREgWaOaYxmyeVsGVeJhx

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQU971GdfGZ-OqJHeXI4Pf

Not saying all stuff out of China is like that but they've certainly built a reputation for that sort of thing.

16 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

If even one company out of dozens doesn't lie about their cameras, then that means by definition, that not everyone does. 

16 hours ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Again, you're pointing out one company of dozens

I dont feel like finding them but other companies have done ADs and campaigns with videos shot on phones. (I think HTC and Nokia)

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc