Valve accidentally leaks their upcoming Twitch competitor Steam.tv

AlTech

Valve has accidentally leaked their upcoming Twitch competitor, Steam.tv. The service will allegedly be built into Steam in a future version and will allow live broadcasting in a similar fashion to how Twitch works.

Valve has accidentally revealed it’s working on improving its Twitch-like Steam broadcasting feature. Steam.tv briefly came online on Friday, revealing Valve’s new streaming site that appears to be dedicated to the company’s Dota 2 tournament. “We are working on updating Steam Broadcasting for the Main Event of The International, Dota 2’s annual tournament,” explains a Valve spokesperson to The Verge. “What people saw was a test feed that was inadvertently made public..”

Valve’s new Steam broadcasting comes just as The International, an annual Dota 2 e-sports tournament, is about to begin on August 20th. The International is the biggest e-sports tournament in the world, thanks to its massive prize fund of over $24 million. It makes it an ideal time for Valve to launch its own streaming service.

image.png.aae28dfa43808e8d862d57e15223e9ea.png

Source: Anandtech

It’s not clear if Valve has ambitions beyond just streaming Dota 2 games, but there’s already plenty of competition to Twitch right now. Microsoft has its own Mixer streaming service, and Google has YouTube gaming. Both services are big rivals to Twitch, and they allow gamers to stream their gaming, and watch others broadcast titles.

Yay, less Amazon in my life is a good thing. Good Job Valve. Looking forward to using Steam.tv when it comes out :D.

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/17/17730854/valve-steam-tv-twitch-competitor-features

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Knowing Valve, it's going to be buggy and half-assed, Valve will only fix a few bugs at first with great fanfare, then completely forget all about it for the next 5 years, until they do a big UI-update with yet-again great fanfare, but introduce even more bugs.

Not that it matters to me, personally. I don't stream my gameplay and I have even less interest in watching others play.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

At TI is *not* the time to roll out a new streaming platform. It's the time to announce it, yes, but it should go active *after* the tournament.

What's the difference between this and Steam Broadcast?

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

1 minute ago, DimasRMDO said:

What's the difference between this and Steam Broadcast?

This looks like it'll be replacing Steam Broadcast.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

In Valve time it'll likely be released soon.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Might actually be good if it's just gamers. IRL is cancer in Twitch.... Wonder if steam will have half naked girls, scantily clad in something super suggestive, doing something related to ASMR... If they can get by and have strictly gaming, I'll be interested.

But it'll be hard to beat Twitch prime.

26 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Might actually be good if it's just gamers. IRL is cancer in Twitch.... Wonder if steam will have half naked girls, scantily class

*clad

26 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

But it'll be hard to beat Twitch prime.

Yup

All those banned streamers on Twitch have one more option now, I wonder if they're going to add a 'IRL' section.

Of course Valve wants a piece of all the hot subscription and donation money.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

the catch is that each person can only stream twice on the platform, since the system will not be able to recognize a third number

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Everyone wants to try and get more money. . .

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

Cool probably won't get traction, twitch has gathered the audience. No point in switching if it works.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

17 minutes ago, sof006 said:

Cool probably won't get traction, twitch has gathered the audience. No point in switching if it works.

Not if their goal is to control esports events broadcasting. They can help integrate it quite nicely within dota2 and csgo some tools that can be interesting to tournament organizers :)

Well, interesting to see more competitors and alternatives though. 

But as always existing users of certain platform won't switch just like that for many reasons. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

So twitch started a game store and valve is going into streaming. 

I guess using it first for the dota 2 tournament will be a good way to iron out the bugs.