Larger storage and Apple Pencil for 2018 OLED iPhone?

Source 9to5mac, trendforce

The company believes that the OLED models will support the Apple Pencil. While that may be of limited use for drawing on a screen size much smaller than an iPad, the Pencil is also useful for taking notes and making annotations, something that may work well, especially on the 6.5-inch Plus model.

...both OLED models to offer three storage tiers rather than the two of the iPhone X. It suggests that in addition to the existing 64GB and 256GB tiers, Apple will also offer a 512GB option. If even a relatively small percentage of buyers opt for this, it will still help increase the Average Selling Price.

Summary

• Apple Pencil support on the upcoming iPhone, is for purpose of note taking
  • Three configuration: 64, 256 and 512GB storage.

Is this a direct response to the Samsung Galaxy Note 9?

Maybe it’ll fit in the space where the headphone jack used to be... Are they gonna take away the off button too.

31 minutes ago, AlfaProto said:

Source 9to5mac, trendforce

Summary

• Apple Pencil support on the upcoming iPhone, is for purpose of note taking
  • Three configuration: 64, 256 and 512GB storage.

Well, if Apple wants to further grow their premium user base, the next logical market to go after would be existing note users, because they have demonstrated that price isn’t an issue for them when it comes to smartphones. 

55 minutes ago, AlfaProto said:

No, it's a response to the first Galaxy Note ever created. Innovation at its best.

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

I'm not so sure an Apple Pencil works too well with a phone sized form factor. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

yes but will apple make a hole on the iPhone to accomodate the pen or will it be an annoying accessories that isn't always there when you need it

If it's the later note still takes the cake, but i'm sure the Apple Experts of this forum will enlighten me on how samsung's way is the worst thing possible.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 hour ago, RollinLower said:

Well, I guess an answer to the note series is better late than never? Kinda sad that they are about 11 gens late...

Was Apple ever really under pressure to compete with the Note's pen input, though?  The iPhone has frequently outsold Samsung's total flagship lineup, and the Note represents a small chunk of that lineup.  That and Galaxy S9 sales have been hurting, so it's not as if the Note 9 is about to blow the doors out

And let's be honest: Samsung regularly lies to itself about why people buy the Note.  It swears people buy it for the S Pen, but many people have bought past Notes simply because it was the largest-screened high-end phone the company made.  Even now, many buy it just because it's the largest and fastest phone in the lineup from August to February.  Some use the S Pen, but many might not even take it out.

If Apple includes Pencil support, it won't be that it's hoping to cannibalize Note 9 sales (although it might not mind).  It's that the company will want consistency between the iPad and iPhone, and the 6.5-inch "iPhone X Plus" (or whatever it's called) would be a good place for Pencil compatibility.

1 hour ago, Quadrum said:

Maybe it’ll fit in the space where the headphone jack used to be... Are they gonna take away the off button too.

How does one even turn the iPhone on? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Don't get the point. Digital assistants can take notes. You can record lectures. Notes on paper will be easier to read if you want to write them. Also can't imagine teachers would want students to be on their phones in class.

For artists, the iPad is way more suitable. Apple's pencil is $100, can't imagine someone will want to casually store that in their pocket instead of in an iPad case.

I think the Plus models would be much better if they had pens housed in them. I still don't understand why the iPads don't come with an integrated Pencil. Though, I can't believe we're going to get 1TB tablets in the next few years. 32GB is more memory than my 90's desktop had, 1TB will be more than my 00's desktop had. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

9 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

still don't understand why the iPads don't come with an integrated Pencil.

You have any idea how thick the iPad would have to be to house anything other than itself? They almost have no depth left for the headphone jack on the latest models. And anything thin enough to fit inside something the form factor of the S-Pen would be pretty useless on an iPad. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I don’t even think Apple believes the Note 9 is wort a response outside of business as usual. It’s not particularly impressive and has a very high price tag, and with Apple rumored to be lowering the prices, I don’t think Apple even really considered it as something to keep an eye on.  

I also highly doubt the iPhone will support the Apple Pencil as we know it today. That pencil is designed for the iPad, simply porting such a massive accessory over to really small iPhones will both look terrible and be highly dysfunctional. If the rumor is true, Apple will likely develop a much smaller and thinner Apple Pencil but which will ultimately not be housed inside the device. 

In the end though, I don’t think we will see anything come of this. I’ve seen way too many people with busted Galaxy Notes because they simply dropped the phone and the aluminum housing for the pen literally trapped the S-Pen or blocked the housing all together. I’d rather not have something even close to that experience on the iPhone. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

You have any idea how thick the iPad would have to be to house anything other than itself? They almost have no depth left for the headphone jack on the latest models. And anything thin enough to fit inside something the form factor of the S-Pen would be pretty useless on an iPad. 

I think there's justification for added thickness in all of the line-ups. Thinner is only going to lead to more feature issues. I'd rather see them increase the depth of the phones by 2mm for a larger battery rather than needing me to buy a thick case. 

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

If the rumor is true, Apple will likely develop a much smaller and thinner Apple Pencil but which will ultimately not be housed inside the device. 

Not housing the Pencil inside the device it's intended for is a bad decision. Having it attached to the device makes the most sense. As far as the Note's housing "issue", I don't see how Apple can't engineer a better solution.  

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

2 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

yes but will apple make a hole on the iPhone to accomodate the pen or will it be an annoying accessories that isn't always there when you need it

If it's the later note still takes the cake, but i'm sure the Apple Experts of this forum will enlighten me on how samsung's way is the worst thing possible.

Who actually is going to use a pen with a phone lol. It's not a tablet, if you can use your finger and use force touch for alternate actions, what's the point?

6 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Who actually is going to use a pen with a phone lol. It's not a tablet, if you can use your finger and use force touch for alternate actions, what's the point?

It's not that people don't use pens with phones, because some do.  It's that the fantasy Samsung has created (most people buy the Note for the pen and use it often) doesn't exist.  Apple isn't about to redesign its phone to include a pen that most real people don't actually care for.

When Samsung markets that their Note 9 has all these cool S-Pen features* 

The only people saying active styli have no use on a phone are those that have never spent more than 5 minutes with said phone.

If Apple's "borrowing" of this feature from Samsung is this believable, or really happening, then Apple themselves are indirectly saying that they were wrong before. That the feature does have a large enough audience to make the attempt.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

more precise input, a tip hides less stuff than a finger when hovering over something, and the ability to use handwrite recognition keyboards which i find myself to write faster compared to using a keyboard, specially when the need for special characters popup.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

7 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

The only people saying active styli have no use on a phone are those that have never spent more than 5 minutes with said phone.

If Apple's "borrowing" of this feature from Samsung is this believable, or really happening, then Apple themselves are indirectly saying that they were wrong before. That the feature does have a large enough audience to make the attempt.

It's wrong to say people have no use for active styluses on a phone, but it's also wrong to say this is some kind of admission of defeat.

Remember, Steve Jobs' famous "who wants a stylus?" line was directed at touch-based smartphone interfaces circa 2007.  Companies like Microsoft, Nokia and Palm had designed their entire touch UI around the pen, and oh my was it terrible -- you had to poke your phone at these tiny on-screen elements, and you could forget about using your fingers.  The iPhone was revolutionary (I don't use that word often, but it's is merited here) precisely because you finally got a genuinely intuitive, finger-driven interface that didn't require a pen to be useful.

(This isn't to say Jobs was always right... his dismissal of the original Galaxy Note's size was a mistake, even if that first phone was ungainly.)

If this were really an admission of defeat, you'd see Apple turn the "iPhone X Plus" into a Galaxy Note-alike with a built-in pen and interface changes at virtually every step.  That's not happening.  Apple would still treat the Pencil as a strictly optional feature mainly aimed at creatives, rather than a key interface feature like Samsung does.

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

I would actually like to have a pen with my phone. I prefer to jot down quick notes by hand as opposed to typing them up. Plus it would occasionally be useful to be able to mark up PDFs when I only have my phone.

I would, however, want it to be something small that would fit in the phone (even though I find the s-pen uncomfortably thin/small) for convenience reasons.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.