HP Proliant DL360 G5 GPU

Snotrap

Hey!

Im looking to purchase an old HP Proliant DL360, G5, to host my website and other game servers. 

I think its its a bargain at just $35, coming with two Xeon 5160’s, 4GB ECC RAM (yes will upgrade to much more), 2 x 700w psu’s, 5 x 72GB 10K RPM HDD’s. 

My question is though what are the dimensions of the available full PCI-e slot? 

Because I wanted to see if a) My Gigabyte HD 6950 would fit or b) My spare Gigabyte GT 430 would fit. 

Mainly just so I can surpass the igpu max res. And maybe play some games. Cause why not. 

My Machines:

I know. I need to update this. And I will. Eventually. 

you can host website, but I don't think that you will be able to host any new game server,  there are 2 slots, 1 full and 1 haf size, there is no sense in evern thinkg about gaming on it

3 minutes ago, wojtepanik said:

you can host website, but I don't think that you will be able to host any new game server,  there are 2 slots, 1 full and 1 haf size, there is no sense in evern thinkg about gaming on it

I’m sorry. I didn’t say I was going to turn it into my primary machine. 

My question was. What’s the biggest graphics card I can put in there. 

And yeah I know. I can host the servers of the games I want to play though. Like CS:GO, Minecraft, lfs etc. 

My Machines:

9 minutes ago, Snotrap said:

HP Proliant DL360, G5

This is the motherboard

106210-1.jpg

The PCIe slot is x8 the other slot is 64bit PCI-X (it looks like anyway, might be a riser)

THe x8 slot is limited to 25 watts for power for a video card, I have a Dell PE 2900 with the same slot and I *can* run a modern video card through it, with some gotchas.

If you want to go further with this, let me know, I'll help you out

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Too slow for games. This thing is from like 2006/2007. Also, FBDIMM RAM modules alone consume about 5-7W each, so you better not be paying for power, lol.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

This is the motherboard

106210-1.jpg

The PCIe slot is x8 the other slot is 64bit PCI-X (it looks like anyway, might be a riser)

THe x8 slot is limited to 25 watts for power for a video card, I have a Dell PE 2900 with the same slot and I *can* run a modern video card through it, with some gotchas.

If you want to go further with this, let me know, I'll help you out

Thanks for the reply!

i have done quite a bit of research so far and it is equipped with 2 x x8 slots, one can be converted with an adapter sold separately. 

As for the max power that’s fine. I have other power supply’s and connectors etc. 

I would just just like to find out the biggest gpu I can fit in it. 

Im not planning to game on this primarily. 

My Machines:

15 minutes ago, Snotrap said:

Thanks for the reply!

i have done quite a bit of research so far and it is equipped with 2 x x8 slots, one can be converted with an adapter sold separately. 

As for the max power that’s fine. I have other power supply’s and connectors etc. 

I would just just like to find out the biggest gpu I can fit in it. 

Im not planning to game on this primarily. 

The chassis won't have any GPU power connectors from the PSU's they are not consumer equipment, servers do not have 6-pin PCI-E connectors on their PSU's.  Generally speaking you require to get a specific power kit to allow for this and good luck finding one for a chassis that old.

You will likely have clearance issues with a dual height GPU, you can put a single height GPU in that is powered only by the PCI-Express port and they are barely any use for gaming full stop.

It's the wrong equipment for the job, the G5 is a massive pile of shite so I wouldn't bother even for $35.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

go rent some vps, I have 1 core 1gb ram 20gb ssd for 1 euro in aruba italy, works great for ts server

6 minutes ago, Falconevo said:

The chassis won't have any GPU power connectors from the PSU's they are not consumer equipment, servers do not have 6-pin PCI-E connectors on their PSU's.  Generally speaking you require to get a specific power kit to allow for this and good luck finding one for a chassis that old.

You will likely have clearance issues with a dual height GPU, you can put a single height GPU in that is powered only by the PCI-Express port and they are barely any use for gaming full stop.

It's the wrong equipment for the job, the G5 is a massive pile of shite so I wouldn't bother even for $35.

Thanks for the information. 

I don’t really care about the power situation. 

What’s so bad about it?

($35 AUD)

My Machines:

2 minutes ago, Snotrap said:

Thanks for the information. 

I don’t really care about the power situation. 

What’s so bad about it?

($35 AUD)

CPU's might claim to support SLAT (Extended Page Table) it but the board won't as it is the early socket 771 version.  So you won't be able to use an up to date operating system such as Windows 10/Server 2016+.

Absolutely dog slow machines, believe me it isn't worth the hassle.  Spend a little more and go for something from the Xeon 1366 socket era or above, you will regret the pain that buying second hand HP equipment brings, like the inability to get BIOS or software updates due to their warranty paywall.

2 minutes ago, Falconevo said:

CPU's might claim to support SLAT (Extended Page Table) it but the board won't as it is the early socket 771 version.  So you won't be able to use an up to date operating system such as Windows 10/Server 2016+.

Absolutely dog slow machines, believe me it isn't worth the hassle.  Spend a little more and go for something from the Xeon 1366 socket era or above, you will regret the pain that buying second hand HP equipment brings, like the inability to get BIOS or software updates due to their warranty paywall.

I don’t reallt have the money to be honest. 

Im not looking to run the latest and greatest. Ubuntu/Kali or Win 7’s fine for me. 

My Machines:

Just now, Snotrap said:

I don’t reallt have the money to be honest. 

Im not looking to run the latest and greatest. Ubuntu/Kali or Win 7’s fine for me. 

If you werent in austrailia I would send u some old shit I have in the basement.  The postage on something as heavy as a server would be more than its worth though.

11 minutes ago, Falconevo said:

If you werent in austrailia I would send u some old shit I have in the basement.  The postage on something as heavy as a server would be more than its worth though.

Aha thanks anyways. 

And thanks for all the help. I’ll get it to harvest hardware out of it. One of the 10K hdd are worth about $15-40 here. 

My Machines: