Will my GPU run without an OS

BladeEngage

In my brand new system i cant get a display when plugged into my gpu, when plugged into the motherboard i get a display. Do i need to install Windows before my GPU will work? I am using an hdmi to vga adapter.

You should get a display even without an OS. So the card, HDMI to VGA adaptor, or cable is possibly bad. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Just now, App4that said:

You should get a display even without an OS. So the card, HDMI to VGA adaptor, or cable is possibly bad. 

It would have to be the port then because i can use the adapter and cord on other computers, thanks though.

You shouldn't be using VGA unless your monitor is hella old. If the card has a HDMI port I'd connect it to a TV to test the card. 

9 minutes ago, BladeEngage said:

Do i need to install Windows before my GPU will work?

This would be dependent on your system and how it supports graphics configurations. You will get a signal if you plug into the GPU and may be able to use it the same as the VGA port on the motherboard although some systems will detect that you are plugged into the GPU and then state that you are using a GPU configuration which is incompatible and will not let you proceed unless you restart and then use the VGA port of your motherboard. So the answer to your question would be dependent on your system and how it supports different GPU configurations when booting without an OS.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

Just now, Boomwebsearch said:

This would be dependent on your system and how it supports graphics configurations. You will get a signal if you plug into the GPU and may be able to use it the same as the VGA port on the motherboard although some systems will detect that you are plugged into the GPU and then state that you are using a GPU configuration which is incompatible and will not let you proceed unless you restart and then use the VGA port of your motherboard. So the answer to your question would be dependent on your system and how it supports different GPU configurations when booting without an OS.

Never seen a system that doesn't boot to bios on a discete card. As long as that card is powered correctly and functional. 

1 hour ago, App4that said:

Never seen a system that doesn't boot to bios on a discete card

It is not something that you will find very often and it is very rare to not boot to the BIOS with the card and not the motherboard's built-in display output although it does exist with many systems (mostly pre-builts such as the Dell Vostro 200) where the computer with no OS will not boot to the BIOS while plugged into a GPU display output and not the one for the motherboard. And also sometimes when using a not officially supported GPU, you will not get a signal until your OS starts and the driver starts for the GPU but that instance is even rarer and mostly only seen when a manufacturer creates a prototype of a card and tests it on a not supported motherboard (not detectable by the motherboard).

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

Did you connect the power to the GPU card. You may have a defective video card.