Your most hated meme/ term/ phrase in tech?

[Comment Redacted]

AMD Phenom II x4 955 - Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 - XFX HD7870 CORE - 60 GB OCZ Agility 3 - 1 TB Western Digital Green - 1 TB Hitachi DeskStar

OCZ ModXstream 600W - 16 GB Corsair XMS3 - Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus - Logitech G110 - Speedlink Kudos - Sennheiser HD 518

Steam The reason I am still alive Dark Theme

When a store advertises a computer based on its RAM, and its HDD capacity. They have to choose the two metrics that have the least impact on its performance (other than the HDD being really slow because SSDs are awesome and should be mandatory on any computer I might some day use). When you read the small print you find out it is an i7 3770, with a GT 610 and a 250W PSU that can actually only provide a total of 150W@12V (12V being the closest full number to the average of the actual voltage amounts, which flickers between 11V and 13V).

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

When people say PCB Board. So it's a printed circuit board board? No. That's wrong. Also when people say how good their computer is based on the Hard Drive size.
I hate when people say PCB Board.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

I like how my school put windows 7 enterprise on netbooks built for XP :D
Mine too

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

The most annoying thing for me is when you see pc world selling a pathetic celeron/pentium dual core laptop and advertising it based around its 2tb hdd. I mean, not many normal people are going to need 2tb and they don't even mention the CPU/ram specs sometimes

I agree with the whole pen drive thing also.

I think you mean 1tb hard drive, I don't think I have ever seen a 2tb 2.5" mechanical HDD, Sandy Bridge Pentiums actually aren't that bad, they feel more snappy than a 1st generation mobile i3

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

Not really a phrase, but everywhere besides this forum I've found this scenario:

Guy: "I'm looking for an AMD processor, any suggestions?."

Guy2: "i5-3570k"

Guy: "I already have the Motherboard..."

Guy2: "Send it back."

Guy3: "Don't be dumb, AMD is better!"

Guy leaves and AMD fanboys and Intel fanboys fight over which CPUs are better for two months.

i freaking hate tool bars, i swear everyone that isnt in the tech world has 5-15 of them on there computers

i also hate all those "fix your pc" scams that every one downloads or buys into

for [insert religious or tech figure]s sake, people learn to use msconfig and set your start up!

every time my cousin plays a stupid flash based game and it crashes he smashed the mouse down on the table multiple times, yeah like thatll do anything

idiots that do computer repair, i had one client that went through about 4 people that weren't able to fix his easy problems, i fixed them all in less than an hour

the fact that no one can put a descent graphics card in a slim frame laptop without charging over $2000 for it

​people that don't know the difference between a laptop and a notebook, they are one and the same

people that buy full towers and only use 2 pci plots

people that buy overkill motherboards like ROGs that could never utilize nor understand how to use them for what they are made for

the fact that it took itx so long to be a gaming platform

non back-lit keyboards

how almost everything for pcs is an up-scaled console port rather than the other way around, next gen consoles will help though

people that say consoles are better after i show them the graphics difference and a triple monitor setup, enjoy your up-scaled 720p games

the us government f*cking up everything

shift/enter/backspace keys that arent long enough

sorry for the rant, i guess i am just a hater of a lot of things =P

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

Not really a phrase, but everywhere besides this forum I've found this scenario:

Guy: "I'm looking for an AMD processor, any suggestions?."

Guy2: "i5-3570k"

Guy: "I already have the Motherboard..."

Guy2: "Send it back."

Guy3: "Don't be dumb, AMD is better!"

Guy leaves and AMD fanboys and Intel fanboys fight over which CPUs are better for two months.

the same can be said about Nvidia and AMD Radeon fanboys.

Desktop: CM Elite 130 - Corsair CX600M PSU - Asus Maximus VI Impact - Intel Core i7-4790K (@4.4GHz) - Corsair H80i - 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 - Asus DirectCUII Radeon R9 290 - 250GB Samsung EVO SSD + 4TB WD Red HDD

Laptop: Asus N56DP-DH11 (AMD A10-4600M - Radeon HD7730M) -------------------------------------------------------- I know, I'm a bit of an AMD fanboy --------------------------------------------------------

"It's not what you drive; it's how you drive it."   ~~Jeremy Clark, TopGear

three questions to fix 80 percent of people's problems: "Have you tried restarting it?", "Have you plugged everything in?", and "Is it turned on?"

as for memes/terms/phrases that make me cringe, "download more RAM/memory" and calling the tower the "CPU" come to mind

Desktop: CM Elite 130 - Corsair CX600M PSU - Asus Maximus VI Impact - Intel Core i7-4790K (@4.4GHz) - Corsair H80i - 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 - Asus DirectCUII Radeon R9 290 - 250GB Samsung EVO SSD + 4TB WD Red HDD

Laptop: Asus N56DP-DH11 (AMD A10-4600M - Radeon HD7730M) -------------------------------------------------------- I know, I'm a bit of an AMD fanboy --------------------------------------------------------

"It's not what you drive; it's how you drive it."   ~~Jeremy Clark, TopGear

Not really related to this topic, but always enrages me everytime I come across it;

I hate those 13 year old spoiled brats who get a ton of money from their parents to buid a computer, without having done a single thing in return. Then they just buy the most expensive components they can find without thinking. And then they start bragging on forums about how great they are. (Especially the ones who explicitly mention their age in the name of the build/description.)

There's a time and place for everything! But not now. - Professor Oak

i7 2600K 4.3GHz  -  GTX 1060 3GB  - ASUS P8Z68-V - 16GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - EIZO 1080p 120Hz VA

Intel Skulltrail: 2x Core 2 Quad QX9775 - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-800 CL5 Quad Channel

EVGA SR-2 Classified - 2x Xeon X5675 4.2GHz - 24GB DDR3-1830 C10 Triple Channel

Intel Skulltrail #2: 2x Xeon E5472  - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-667 CL5 Quad Channel

i freaking hate tool bars, i swear everyone that isnt in the tech world has 5-15 of them on there computers

i also hate all those "fix your pc" scams that every one downloads or buys into

for [insert religious or tech figure]s sake, people learn to use msconfig and set your start up!

every time my cousin plays a stupid flash based game and it crashes he smashed the mouse down on the table multiple times, yeah like thatll do anything

idiots that do computer repair, i had one client that went through about 4 people that weren't able to fix his easy problems, i fixed them all in less than an hour

the fact that no one can put a descent graphics card in a slim frame laptop without charging over $2000 for it

​people that don't know the difference between a laptop and a notebook, they are one and the same

people that buy full towers and only use 2 pci plots

people that buy overkill motherboards like ROGs that could never utilize nor understand how to use them for what they are made for

the fact that it took itx so long to be a gaming platform

non back-lit keyboards

how almost everything for pcs is an up-scaled console port rather than the other way around, next gen consoles will help though

people that say consoles are better after i show them the graphics difference and a triple monitor setup, enjoy your up-scaled 720p games

the us government f*cking up everything

shift/enter/backspace keys that arent long enough

sorry for the rant, i guess i am just a hater of a lot of things =P

Brother, is that you?

I cant stand it when people call the computer a cpu, it also really bugs me when people say the computer is the case, monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

also bugs me when people say there really good with computers and when there talking to you, you start to notice how little they really know about computers and you cant correct them because you don't want to be rude so you just go with it. happens so much here and im in the most red neck part of Ontario -.- lol

System: AMD Phenom II 965 BE, 8GB Mushkin Sliverline, Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3, Fractal Designs Core 1000, 500GB Seagate Barracuda, Corsair TX750W, Zalman CNPS5X (awful cooler), and a GTx 560 1GB.

• 3 weeks later...

When people overuse the phrase "Can it run Crysis?". Few days ago I was watching a video of a commodore 64 and guess what's in the comments? "Can it run Crysis?"  <_<

SSD Drive (Solid State Drive Drive?  Or the noobs who think it means Solid State Disk)

RPMs (Revolutions Per Minutes?  The plural is included in the acronym when applicable, so whether it is 1 or 100 the actual acronym stays the same)

People who think "Retina Display" is some kind of magical property or spec in a display.

When people say "has more gigahertz" when they mean "has higher frequency".  Honestly, Hertz is a standardized unit not some special computer thing, people should know it means frequency... just like when you are taller than someone you don't say you "have more inches" than them.

People doing weird capitalizations of NVIDIA (like nVidia or nVIDIA or other weird things) when you can go to NVIDIA's own website and clearly see that they spell their own name in all caps whenever they say it.

The "Gaming" and "Enterprise-class" monikers which seem to be thrown around quite lightly these days.

Not really related to this topic, but always enrages me everytime I come across it;

I hate those 13 year old spoiled brats who get a ton of money from their parents to buid a computer, without having done a single thing in return. Then they just buy the most expensive components they can find without thinking. And then they start bragging on forums about how great they are. (Especially the ones who explicitly mention their age in the name of the build/description.)

i have a descent rig and im 15 :p but i payed for each part myself and i know what each part does >_<

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

-When people claim to know a lot about Minecraft yet they play the free version of Pocket edition Minecraft on their mom's Iphone....  :mellow:

-When people claim that their 6 year old Xbox or Playstation is better than a gaming computer of today's modern day and age. Yet they don't even know the difference between 1080 and 720P video? 
-People saying that Ipads are better than computers because you can take them around with you. And if you get a wireless keyboard, it magically turns into a computer.... 

-When people argue over which is better Xbox or PS3, and I simply say. "Just build a gaming computer" 

-When Call of Duty black ops 2 is like the besest game evar but they've never even heard of Crysis, Battlefield, or any other games that make up of today's modern gaming society. 

Not much of a saying, but it really grinds my gears when people claim on there resume that they're "good with computers" then they get in here and don't even know what Task Manager is.

Exactly!

CPU: RYZEN 5 2600   Motherboard: MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC   Memory: CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 16GB 3200MHZ   Storage: TEAM GROUP MP33 1TB

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW   Case: COOLER MASTER NR200P   PSU: CORSAIR SF600   Mouse: G PRO WIRELESS   Keyboard: ANNE PRO 2

I once asked a guy if he had a good computer, and he responded with, "Yeah, it has Windows 8". I really hate when people think the operating system dictates how good you computer is.

lol, i hate windows 8 but thats a me issue

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

"Post-PC era"  :angry: Because tablets and smartphones aren't computers?  What are they then?

People calling a flash drive "a USB" gets on my nerves a little.

I've begun to really dislike the terms 720p and 1080p, or anything-p.  Interlaced vs. Progressive isn't even relevant anymore.  Just say the resolution.

"Macs don't get viruses."  <_<

"Retina Display"  <_< Apple's watered down the term so much that it actually doesn't mean anything anymore.  Yet people still consider it a feature.

When people "upload" something to their hard drive/flash drive.

I could probably go on but I'll leave it here for now.  :lol:

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

"Post-PC era"  :angry: Because tablets and smartphones aren't computers?

It has a cpu, it has a gpu, it has ram, a pcb, a screen, memory, os. Its a computer .-.

It annoys me when people say 'SSD Drives'. They're basically saying 'Solid State Drive Drive'

Sounds exactly like the "PSP Portable" problem.

"Retina Display"  <_< Apple's watered down the term so much that it actually doesn't mean anything anymore.  Yet people still consider it a feature.

Man, if I had a dollar for everyone who thinks that "Retina Display" is some voodoo magic that only Apple has. Most of the time, they don't even know what it actually is. If Apple marketed their products and said "It has banana vision" or something you would see people using that for their Mac vs PC argument.

'Lappy'

That annoys me so much when I read that on forums.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

The worst memes are the ones that say you must like and share or you will die at 4am.......

CPU Intel I7-4770k - Motherboard MSI G45 Gaming - RAM G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB !866MHz - GPU Sapphire Dual-x R9-270x Crossfire - Case Fractal Design R4 - Storage SSD-120GB Kingston HyperX 3K + HDD-500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue - PSU Corsair CX750 - Display Asus VH236H 23inch - Cooling Corsair H100i - Keyboard Razer Black Widow 2013 - Mouse Razer Death Adder 2013 - Sound Astro A40s - OS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit