My PC will boot, but monitor says "no signal detected"?

mandrigald

My PC will boot up, but my monitor will say "no signal detected". I do not believe that my GPU is dead, the cooler spins up just fine on it, and it gets warm. I have tried plugging the DVI cable directly into the motherboard to see if the BIOS had been altered but no such luck, it still said "no signal detected" which leads be to believe it hadn't. It was working completely fine, I opened up my PC (something that I do fairly often) to put in my new CPU cooler. When I tried to boot up again I ran into this issue. Please help

My PC will boot up, but my monitor will say "no signal detected". I do not believe that my GPU is dead, the cooler spins up just fine on it, and it gets warm. I have tried plugging the DVI cable directly into the motherboard to see if the BIOS had been altered but no such luck, it still said "no signal detected" which leads be to believe it hadn't. It was working completely fine, I opened up my PC (something that I do fairly often) to put in my new CPU cooler. When I tried to boot up again I ran into this issue. Please help

uhhh did you try changing input?

CPU: i7 8700 GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Mobo: Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5 Ram: 16GB EVGA SuperSC SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB PSU: TX650M Case: NZXT S340 Elite OS: Windows 10 Mouse: Logitech G403 Mouse Mat: HyperX Fury S Pro XL 
Keyboard: CM Masterkeys Pro S (reds) Headphones: Sennheiser HD598 Monitor: Asus 24' MG248QR Devices: IPhone 11 Pro Max + 13' Macbook Pro

Trie a diverent DVI cable and if you can test your GPU in a diffrent computer 

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

Try a different type of input, input from dvi, hdmi, vga, from your motherboard directly then from your gpu, if that doesn't work try plugging the monitor into another computer. Also try different cables if you have them

Make sure you have the monitor set to receive the right type of input.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

uhhh did you try changing input?

Yes but I would like for the signal to come from GPU not mobo.

Trie a diverent DVI cable and if you can test your GPU in a diffrent computer 

I'm running two monitors man, both not getting signal. Starting to think this is a GPU problem, I don't think its dead however

Hmmm.... Sometimes a no signal can occur when a heatsink isn't on properly, although when I think about it... it turns the computer off when that happens.

How about try re-seating your gpu. maybe try another pci slot

To detect if the computer is booting into windows, boot it up, wait until you think it's in windows. the tap the power button.

If it turns off straight away then it's not posting, if it turns off after 30sec or so then it's shut down from windows.

Another thing, try the 'auto refresh' on the monitor.

If nothing is working, strip it down to only the motherboard and cpu connected, and try and get a post to show up.

EDIT if you think gpu is dead, then open it up and re-apply thermal paste (may have separated and not connecting properly which makes the display not work (personal experience))

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

Try a different type of input, input from dvi, hdmi, vga, from your motherboard directly then from your gpu, if that doesn't work try plugging the monitor into another computer. Also try different cables if you have them

Make sure you have the monitor set to receive the right type of input.

I will try VGA from mobo

Work with just one monitor at a time as you diagnose/debug the issue

I assume you've tried unplugging/plugging power to the display.  I know it sounds overly simple but sometimes its the simple stuff that fixes it.

Work with just one monitor at a time as you diagnose/debug the issue

I assume you've tried unplugging/plugging power to the display.  I know it sounds overly simple but sometimes its the simple stuff that fixes it.

Yeah, I've tried that a few times. No luck.

Hmmm.... Sometimes a no signal can occur when a heatsink isn't on properly, although when I think about it... it turns the computer off when that happens.

How about try re-seating your gpu. maybe try another pci slot

To detect if the computer is booting into windows, boot it up, wait until you think it's in windows. the tap the power button.

If it turns off straight away then it's not posting, if it turns off after 30sec or so then it's shut down from windows.

Another thing, try the 'auto refresh' on the monitor.

If nothing is working, strip it down to only the motherboard and cpu connected, and try and get a post to show up.

EDIT if you think gpu is dead, then open it up and re-apply thermal paste (may have separated and not connecting properly which makes the display not work (personal experience))

The PC is booting into windows. I stripped it down to motherboard and CPU and the post will not show up.

The PC is booting into windows. I stripped it down to motherboard and CPU and the post will not show up.

wow. ok.

So it's either your cpu or motherboard. (most likely motherboard)..... or maybe psu? (but i doubt that)

You tried re-seating cpu and reapplying thermal paste?

EDIT check for bent pins on the socket.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

wow. ok.

So it's either your cpu or motherboard. (most likely motherboard)..... or maybe psu? (but i doubt that)

Will do. Thanks for the help guys.

wow. ok.

Okay so I removed the CPU to check for bent pins, and upon looking very closely I see a small spot with a bit of thermal compound on it. I am assuming this is a problem. So I have 2 questions: 1. Would removing this bit of thermal paste help fix the issue? if so how should I go about removing it?

Okay so I removed the CPU to check for bent pins, and upon looking very closely I see a small spot with a bit of thermal compound on it. I am assuming this is a problem. So I have 2 questions: 1. Would removing this bit of thermal paste help fix the issue? if so how should I go about removing it?

The thermal paste you're using is probably conductive so it's probably shorting something out.

First try and remove it without touching the pins (compressed air, or nintendo 64 blowing style).

If that wont get it out, maybe use a corner of a paper towel and gently flick it out.

The thermal paste you're using is probably conductive so it's probably shorting something out.

First try and remove it without touching the pins (compressed air, or nintendo 64 blowing style).

If that wont get it out, maybe use a corner of a paper towel and gently flick it out.

Do you think I could perhaps use some rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover or something, or would that not be good?

Do you think I could perhaps use some rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover or something, or would that not be good?

99% isopropyl alcohol is recommended.

Depending on the area.... but as long as it's a high concerntration of alcohol without any harsh chemicals in it.

I've used Bacardi superior on a cpu and after 5 years the heatsink and cpu looks good as new.

EDIT rubbing alcohol is fine.

99% isopropyl alcohol is recommended.

Depending on the area.... but as long as it's a high concerntration of alcohol without any harsh chemicals in it.

I've used Bacardi superior on a cpu and after 5 years the heatsink and cpu looks good as new.

EDIT rubbing alcohol is fine.

Okay, I'm going to walk to my local store and buy some. Before I do, are you sure this may be the reason (or one of the reasons) for my signal issues?

Okay, I'm going to walk to my local store and buy some. Before I do, are you sure this may be the reason (or one of the reasons) for my signal issues?

It could be, where exactly is the thermal paste? could you post a photo by any chance?

I've heard that conductive thermal paste can do this sort of thing.

And even then, I'm not 100% sure. Sometimes it's the simplest of things that can cause these problems. Like the motherboard connector is not in properly or something.

It's all about eliminating the possible factors.

EDIT: I just thought of something!!

I'm assuming there's no debug display on the motherboard? If not, do you have the little speaker connected to the motherboard? There should be a speaker that comes with any motherboard.

Plug that in and listen to the beeps when you turn it on.

It could be, where exactly is the thermal paste? could you post a photo by any chance?

I've heard that conductive thermal paste can do this sort of thing.

And even then, I'm not 100% sure. Sometimes it's the simplest of things that can cause these problems. Like the motherboard connector is not in properly or something.

It's all about eliminating the possible factors.

EDIT: I just thought of something!!

I'm assuming there's no debug display on the motherboard? If not, do you have the little speaker connected to the motherboard? There should be a speaker that comes with any motherboard.

Plug that in and listen to the beeps when you turn it on.

Here is a picture, I'm going to the store now. http://imgur.com/UH1Id5e My motherboard is far from new my friend, I sort of know what you are talking about with the speaker but my motherboard did not come with one, either that or I lost it.

Here is a picture, I'm going to the store now. http://imgur.com/UH1Id5e My motherboard is far from new my friend, I sort of know what you are talking about with the speaker but my motherboard did not come with one, either that or I lost it.

ahh yep, you'll want to clean that up.

That's probably what's causing the problem.

ahh yep, you'll want to clean that up.

That's probably what's causing the problem.

Okay. Thanks man. One more question: I've got the rubbing alcohol, now how do I use it to clean it properly? I just tried Q-tips but they are much too big

Okay. Thanks man. One more question: I've got the rubbing alcohol, now how do I use it to clean it properly? I just tried Q-tips but they are much too big

No worries. To be honest, I'ill be out of ideas if this doesn't work lol.

Try and floss it with the edge of a paper towel.

First, do it with a dry edge, then again with a damp (alcohol) edge to clean the rest up.

Also try and keep the cpu secure so that it doesn't move everywhere.

You may have to clean on the motherboard where the thermal paste was.

EDIT: Don't apply too much pressure on the pins or they could break off.

I found a similar problem on the tom's hardware forum, although the person still had the problem.

I think getting the paste out of the holes in the motherboard will be crazy hard (if there is any in the holes).

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261932-28-damage

I found a similar problem on the tom's hardware forum, although the person still had the problem.

I think getting the paste out of the holes in the motherboard will be crazy hard (if there is any in the holes).

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261932-28-damage

I tried flossing it with the paper towel and it did help a bit, but I cant get it all off. In the Toms Hardware link you posted it said to completely submerge it in isopropyl alcohol, should I do that? If so, how long should I submerge it?