Proposals for Government regulation of internet/social media

Maxxtraxx
Message added by SansVarnic

Due to the political nature of this topic it is highly encouraged to stay civil and not to derail.

Political pontification will not be tolerated and those baiting or underhandedly looking for an argument will be addressed appropriately.

Hello all,

Some interesting news I just came across, perused quickly and figured I would share after all the diverse opinions I saw on the net neutrality issue.

It is apparently a proposal being circulated by certain senators.

The link to an article written by the Libertarian website Reason.com briefly discussing some of the proposals can be found HERE

The full PDF of the proposal is HERE:

PlatformPolicyPaper.pdf

I have not had the time or desire to read the full PDF that was leaked... It's long and full of legal speak.

Some of the headline proposals:

For social media platforms:

Quote: 

"Mandatory location verification"

"Mandatory identity verification"

"Bot labeling"

Quote:

"Other proposals include more disclosure requirements for online political speech, more spending to counter supposed cybersecurity threats, more funding for the Federal Trade Commission, a requirement that companies' algorithms can be audited by the feds (and this data shared with universities and others), and a requirement of "interoperability between dominant platforms."

The paper also suggests making it a rule that tech platforms above a certain size must turn over internal data and processes to "independent public interest researchers" so they can identify potential "public health/addiction effects, anticompetitive behavior, radicalization," scams, "user propagated misinformation," and harassment—data that could be used to "inform actions by regulators or Congress.""

All in all, the synopsis of the content of this article (and supposedly the actual proposal) is of a highly concerning nature to me.

This proposal seeks to add a government approved level of speech and remove free speech from an area... that while controlled by private companies, has also been an area where thought diversity and freedom were assumed to have been core values. This very issue has come under heavy attack in the last two years under the guise of controlling "hate speech" but has really been about censoring any speech that these large tech companies disagree with. Most of these companies have shown themselves to be very biased in their voluntary censorship of free speech towards one group of individuals but have not been consistent in applying that same standard to opposing groups of individuals. This problem has been seen over and over again, when one group censors all speech that they disagree with by forcibly silencing others we start down a road to a loss of freedom, a road that we are already starting down and are accelerating.

I find myself on the side/in the camp of the individuals that are being censored because of their beliefs, opinions, values and this entire topic is very important to me and concerning to me.

I find myself of the opinion that this very Forum and it's moderators are and have shown bias(though to a lesser degree than many of these social media sites) against those who are of the party, of the mindset, opinion an values that hold dear. It is one of the very reasons that I have found myself coming to this forum less and as a result also being less inclined to watch Linus's youtube channels, while Linus himself and those on his show have only allowed their opinions slip out on a few occasions that I have been privy to (though i do not watch the WAN show). I have found enjoyment from participating in this forum but it has grown more difficult as I have seen that there are those who oppose and differ from my viewpoint, which is fine and healthy, but similar to the mindset of our PC and safe zone culture, if someone has a viewpoint that differs from the approved and popular path it has started to become the norm to get angry/yell, condemn differing viewpoints with false accusations or to simply shut down and stop any speech that deviates from what is considered PC.

These are the reasons why this is important across the internet as a whole, within this forum and to me personally.  Many in these and approved by these Social media sites like call me and people like me fascist, but fascists are the ones who shut down differing opinions and free speech, which means that in many cases those yelling fascist at others are the ones approving of and calling for what fascism does and results in.

Don’t see any issue with this

44 minutes ago, Maxxtraxx said:

Mandatory location verification

Mandatory identity verification

Bot labeling

I mean, I'm ok with everything but the identity verification for certain platforms.  

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Actually, hold the fuck up.

Many on this forum were crying about privacy and the government to not control the internet, and now we're coming out in favor of the government controlling the internet? People can't choose both.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Many on this forum were crying about privacy and the government to not control the internet, and now we're coming out in favor of the government controlling the internet? People can't choose both.

Governments can fuck off when it comes to the internet.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Many on this forum were crying about privacy and the government to not control the internet, and now we're coming out in favor of the government controlling the internet?

There is no control implied within that document. Unless you're talking about controlling the public through labeling the botnets fascists and propaganda agents use?

This isn't really controlling the internet, anyone can still access whatever they want. Remember the Patriot Act? It's like that but on the internet. I'm not saying whether or not I agree with it, but that's how I'm interpreting what it says.

Anyway, until I get to see another source I'm going to take this with a bag of salt. 

6 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

<removed>

Yeah, I do wanna wait and see how real this is, but this could very well be something in the works.

Everything is something in the works.  People take any proposal and then extrapolate until they find the possible use (no matter how far fetched or likely) they disagree with then argue to have the whole thing thrown out on that basis.    Now I am not saying this is a good thing or a bad thing, just saying that these things are becoming more and more a part of political discourse and action because they are a problem, a real problem that has to be addressed. 

Edited by SansVarnic

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

In which country is this? or is it for the EU?

1 hour ago, Maxxtraxx said:

Mandatory location verification

Mandatory identity verification

That's a way to end or at least punish with IRL prison time indiscriminate harassment, bullying and similar stuff, it could also be useful for catching criminals like pedophiles or online scammers.

Since it's a World Wide Web it should be controlled by a worldwide agency with a representative of each country, similar to the united nations

Anyway, I don't think this is ever gonna be approved, not with powerful lobbies or strong left/populist governments (in third world) against this kind of stuff, it's obvious they don't want to bring law to the network because it goes against the "human rights" as they always say

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Simple.

You either abide free speech to anyone who joins, or you state up front "we are biased in favor of X opinion, anyone who disagrees with that opinion will be silenced, censored, and not given the human right to dissent".

Verbatim. End of story, nothing else is even remotely acceptable. I don't care if you're a private company. You are providing a service to the public, that allows said public to state their opinions, thoughts, etc. for free, to that same public. Providing such a platform should not EVER include the ability to censor opinions you disagree with, without blatantly and up front admitting to doing so.

Don't like it? Start a company in a different industry then.

This should be solely limited to political opinions. A company should not be able to blatantly ban people for being in support of a party that said company disagrees with. Companies are not people in and of themselves, they should not be allowed to have a political opinion. Corporate personhood is horse shit.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

<removed>

5 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

Simple.

You either abide free speech to anyone who joins, or you state up front "we are biased in favor of X opinion, anyone who disagrees with that opinion will be silenced, censored, and not given the human right to dissent".

Verbatim. End of story, nothing else is even remotely acceptable. I don't care if you're a private company. You are providing a service to the public, that allows said public to state their opinions, thoughts, etc. for free, to that same public. Providing such a platform should not EVER include the ability to censor opinions you disagree with, without blatantly and up front admitting to doing so.

Frankly the only way I could agree to anything like mentioned in the OP is if it was securing the first amendment right in a literal translation of the amendment.

All speech is free speech, the only speech that is not is slander and libel.

Edited by SansVarnic

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

5 hours ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

Frankly the only way I could agree to anything like mentioned in the OP is if it was securing the first amendment right in a literal translation of the amendment.

All speech is free speech, the only speech that is not is slander and libel.

To people who ask why:

Being able to censor the opinions of the public, to that same public, is essentially more power than has ever been wielded in human history. That level of power is COMPLETELY unacceptable in the hands of ANYONE. It does not need to exist or be allowed. That is more power than even governments should be allowed to wield. Completely fucking egregious in its nature, and 100% guaranteed to corrupt anyone who wields said power.

<removed>

Edited by SansVarnic

1 minute ago, Trik'Stari said:

To people who ask why:

Being able to censor the opinions of the public, to that same public, is essentially more power than has ever been wielded in human history. That level of power is COMPLETELY unacceptable in the hands of ANYONE. It does not need to exist or be allowed. That is more power than even governments should be allowed to wield. Completely fucking egregious in its nature, and 100% guaranteed to corrupt anyone who wields said power.

Which is why I could honestly never really be in support of something like mentioned in the OP because it's way too risky of it being abused.

I would love if there was a way to hold certain sites that have a slight monopoly on their category to upholding constitutional rights but again it could be abused.

1 minute ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

Which is why I could honestly never really be in support of something like mentioned in the OP because it's way too risky of it being abused.

I would love if there was a way to hold certain sites that have a slight monopoly on their category to upholding constitutional rights but again it could be abused.

That's actually simple.

Break them up. Monopolies are not supposed to exist anyways. And if a company fails, LET THEM FAIL.

4 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

That's actually simple.

Break them up. Monopolies are not supposed to exist anyways. And if a company fails, LET THEM FAIL.

Why would you let them fail if they have a good product that you can take and turn a profit on? 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Just now, vorticalbox said:

Why would you let them fail if they have a good product that you can take and turn a profit on? 

because if you end their strangle hold on the category of their site then the market has a better chance at choosing what survives. Linking back to youtube, there's nothing that comes close to it really.

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

Governments can fuck off when it comes to the internet.

Preach.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

I'm not for mandatory tracking of user or location. Bot tracking I don't mind, but don't track every user on the web. Privacy is a big thing that we're supposed to be fighting for and doing this to "catch criminals" is not the way to do it. You'll catch the lesser criminals, but the bigger prizes are always smarter than that.

What I would like to see is a simple, unified plagiarism algorithm. It would catch the bots that make the exact same string of text while keeping out the odd rando that just copy-pasted sixty times. 

I'm voting "no". 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, vorticalbox said:

Require them to sell off all copyrights and patents.

If they are failing then they likely don't have a good product, can't turn a profit, then they deserve to fail. Capitalism NEEDS for companies to be able to fail.

6 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Require them to sell off all copyrights and patents.

I would love for this to happen, but I think we need less time for most patents to be protective. A lot of medications these days are patented, protected, and sold until the day that the time expires. And then POOF, a new, better drug appears on the market to replace it from the same company.

Note: I don't really care about the "they have to make money" opinion since they have to make more than enough as it is. With all of the incentives they give doctors to prescribe the meds, let's put that towards less expensive and better medical procedures and medications.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

I mean, I'm ok with everything but the identity verification for certain platforms.  

As VPNs and public hotspots exist, I'm also fine with the attempt to verify location. :P

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

17 minutes ago, DaPhuc said:

But why the phuc do we have to say it every single day?! 

To reinforce the lesson dude. To ingrain it into you. Most people don't understand it to begin with (or so it seems) and they apparently don't teach civics in school any more.

4 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I would love for this to happen, but I think we need less time for most patents to be protective. A lot of medications these days are patented, protected, and sold until the day that the time expires. And then POOF, a new, better drug appears on the market to replace it from the same company.

Note: I don't really care about the "they have to make money" opinion since they have to make more than enough as it is. With all of the incentives they give doctors to prescribe the meds, let's put that towards less expensive and better medical procedures and medications.

Yeah, copyrights and patents need to be completely revamped. In just about every field.

As for medical companies, they should have to 100% disclose every single dime they spend, on ANYTHING. They claim to need excessively high profit margins in order to fund R&D, they need to be prepared to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt.

I consider myself a true capitalist. I don't mind companies making a profit, but some companies should not be allowed to make insane profits on essential goods and services that benefit humanity. Luxury goods is one thing, but you shouldn't be able to charge 400% on a product that costs a few dollars to make and some people need to fucking live.

We need BALANCE between smart legislation, and freedom for companies to make a profit. Profit is the motivation that drives our society, but that needs to be limited from being egregious and harmful.

Well playing devil's advocate you wouldn't need to worry about being banned from a platform by a company that doesn't like what you have to say. Assuming ofcourse these regulations would hold social media to 1st amendment standards.