do i wait or buy 1080ti now?

Blindeagle

Hi guys I just moved to sweden and a site is having an amaing deal on "ASUS GeForce GTX 1080Ti ROG Strix Gaming". I wanted to get this for my new build but i wanted to know should i buy it now? or wait for the 1180? Is the 1080ti's going to go down in price? or will the 1180 be the same as the 1080ti etc. Im not sure and would love some advice. Some people have said that 1180 will be more expensive then the 1080ti so is it worth waiting? 

Here is the site "https://www.komplett.se/product/917604/datorutrustning/pc-komponenter/grafikkort/asus-geforce-gtx-1080ti-rog-strix-gaming"

Thanks

I don't understand Swedish xD 

How long is the deal?
Nvidia will probably anonce something later this month at games com. But could be super expensive 

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

haha nor do i :) just moved from england but basically the deal is going till the stock run out or the 12 Aug. when we convert from sek to pounds its £730 which is really really good deal and especially in sweden were everything is expensive. My problem is. I just want to know if its worth waiting for the 1180 and  if it will be cheaper then the 1080ti or like double the price. I also was told it will be the founder edition card which means the 3rd party wont be out for 2/3 month after , not sure if that is correct 

1 minute ago, Blindeagle said:

haha nor do i :) just moved from england but basically the deal is going till the stock run out or the 12 Aug. when we convert from sek to pounds its £730 which is really really good deal and especially in sweden were everything is expensive. My problem is. I just want to know if its worth waiting for the 1180 and  if it will be cheaper then the 1080ti or like double the price. I also was told it will be the founder edition card which means the 3rd party wont be out for 2/3 month after , not sure if that is correct 

We don't know. But I guess it won't be cheaper maybe even more pricey 

on wich res do you play?

2 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

We don't know. But I guess it won't be cheaper maybe even more pricey 

on wich res do you play?

This is the PC im building right now 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bwH7pG

i play on 1080 and ye i know its overkill but i got the money and my PC is 5 years old, so just want to build a new rig, and tbh in the future i might move to 4k etc so its a good investment 

3 minutes ago, Blindeagle said:

This is the PC im building right now 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bwH7pG

i play on 1080 and ye i know its overkill but i got the money and my PC is 5 years old, so just want to build a new rig, and tbh in the future i might move to 4k etc so its a good investment 

yeh then 1080ti is fine 

some recommendations about the build in general:

RYZEN! : More Perf, upgradeability in the future, more efficient (also les heat output), cheaper ;) 

everything else: NICE

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

https://m.prisjakt.nu/product/4220984

You can get it cheaper. Also there is no good reason to wait. Nvidia cards are 2-3 months away

Ah ok I'm an idiot :) Will look into it and see , but its like 30 pounds extra for ROG which i think might be the better brand, just need to do some research 

gaming rig?, I tell this to all people that want a 1080ti , for me I rather a 1080/1070ti plus a good monitor (24/27 inch 1440p 144/165hz gsync), picking a 1080ti with a 1080p monitor (even a 4k 60hz) for gaming is a double edge sword, its better investment to pick a good ips 1440p 144/165hz than a 1080ti, even a TN if you are ok with it.

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

2 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

yeh then 1080 is fine 

some recommendations about the build in general:

RYZEN! : More Perf, upgradeability in the future, more efficient (also les heat output), cheaper ;) 

everything else: NICE

Ye i think i will just get 1080ti, think waiting for the 1180 might be a bit long etc and will defo be more pricey.

Thanks for the help :)

But about Ryzen, i really dont want to go for AMD chipset, dunno why but always pref the intel brand and i know the 8700k has had amazing reviews as one of the best cpu's out there right now  

Just now, Blindeagle said:

Ah ok I'm an idiot :) Will look into it and see , but its like 30 pounds extra for ROG which i think might be the better brand, just need to do some research 

EVGA is just as good brand, with probably the best customer support. 

1 minute ago, Blindeagle said:

EVEGA is one of the best brands for Nvidia cards! Both are fine get the cheaper one 

Just now, Blindeagle said:

Ye i think i will just get 1080ti, think waiting for the 1180 might be a bit long etc and will defo be more pricey.

Thanks for the help :)

But about Ryzen, i really dont want to go for AMD chipset, dunno why but always pref the intel brand and i know the 8700k has had amazing reviews as one of the best cpu's out there right now  

If you are purely gaming. The 8700k is the right choice. The Ryzen 2700x is cheaper, and is more suited for productivity

1 minute ago, Peskanova said:

gaming rig?, I tell this to all people that want a 1080ti , for me I rather a 1080/1070ti plus a good monitor (24/27 inch 1440p 144/165hz gsync), picking a 1080ti with a 1080p monitor (even a 4k 60hz) for gaming is a double edge sword, its better investment to pick a good ips 1440p 144/165hz than a 1080ti, even a TN if you are ok with it.

I completely agree with you but again i have the money and for the future I will be picking up a 4k monitor. Right now im on 1080p 144hz but like i said , i have the extra money and for the future i think its a good idea 

I've recommended a lot of people 1070ti/1080 (even 1070) + 1440p 24 or 27 inch tn, and allways tell the same, the experience playing the first day is so smooth that it seems that you are watching a stream with source quality , that kind of experience we are talking.... that is better than a 4k 60hz or a 1080p ultra with a 1080ti (60hz)

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

And many other people would prefer the sharpness over the 144 Hz. (i'm not just for 144 Hz, but also g-Sync is a MUST for me - otherwise games can not be smooth for me, even with 144 Hz)

It's all preferences^^.

You can get 2560x1440 up to 4k (x2.25 DSR) or even 5k (x4.0 DSR), and have a big part of the sharpness too - it's not the same, but comes pretty close. For some people even 1080p @ 4k DSR looks almost like native 4k).

But you can not bring the 60 Hz of a 4k Display to 144 Hz ^^

I'm in the same boat and this has been my thinking. Currently I am getting by. I have a GTX 970 and it works fine. It's absolutely bottlenecking my i7 8700k and I'm not getting the performance I want, but it works. Because of this, I am waiting on buying a card to see what Nvidia has to offer at the end of this month. If I don't like it, I'll buy the 1080ti (which might drop in price with the release of the new cards) but if the new stuff looks good, I'll pick up one of those.

Let me tell you, it has been a struggle waiting. But I think it will be worth it in the end

1 minute ago, Darkseth said:

And many other people would prefer the sharpness over the 144 Hz. (i'm not just for 144 Hz, but also g-Sync is a MUST for me - otherwise games can not be smooth for me, even with 144 Hz)

It's all preferences^^.

You can get 2560x1440 up to 4k (x2.25 DSR) or even 5k (x4.0 DSR), and have a big part of the sharpness too - it's not the same, but comes pretty close. For some people even 1080p @ 4k DSR looks almost like native 4k).

But you can not bring the 60 Hz of a 4k Display to 144 Hz ^^

Right now I'm running a 27 inch 1080p 144hz Monitor. I know 100% the 1080ti is an overkill for it, but i think for the future, if i upgrade my Monitor it will be great to have it then, but i think after reading all the comments i will just get the 1080ti , as i think it will be a couple of month before the 1180 gets the 3rd party cards etcetc and it will prob be overpriced compared to the 1080's 

9 minutes ago, Blindeagle said:

I completely agree with you but again i have the money and for the future I will be picking up a 4k monitor. Right now im on 1080p 144hz but like i said , i have the extra money and for the future i think its a good idea 

It is, your card probably will be same better than the new 1180 (my opinion dont atack me), probably it will be the best till 1180ti but I was thinking all time, when a 1180 /1180 ti launches it must be the best card nvidia throw to market ever , or they wont power new games at 4k 144hz,

and if a new 1180/1180ti doesnt drive at 4k 144hz games that a 1080 drive at 1440p, it wont be better to buy (just 400$ or more to pick the last 20-40 fps in the 165hz monitors? ) , the only reason that I think that card could be better deal now than a 1080ti is if they can push 240fps at 1440p games and that is also bounded to cpu so... I think its not going to be a game breaker

1 minute ago, Spaceman_Wil said:

I'm in the same boat and this has been my thinking. Currently I am getting by. I have a GTX 970 and it works fine. It's absolutely bottlenecking my i7 8700k and I'm not getting the performance I want, but it works. Because of this, I am waiting on buying a card to see what Nvidia has to offer at the end of this month. If I don't like it, I'll buy the 1080ti (which might drop in price with the release of the new cards) but if the new stuff looks good, I'll pick up one of those.

Let me tell you, it has been a struggle waiting. But I think it will be worth it in the end

I agree , but i think after doing some research etc and thinking about it, the 1180's will take time for them to go down in price, i doubt they will release the 1180's at the same price point as the 1080ti's when they have a lot of stock to shift. So i think i will go for the plunge and get the 1080ti :)

It is, your card probably will be same better than the new 1180 (my opinion dont atack me), probably it will be the best till 1180ti but I was thinking all time, when a 1180 /1180 ti launches it must be the best card nvidia throw to market ever , or they wont power new games at 4k 144hz and if a new 1180/1180ti doesnt drive at 4k 144hz games that a 1080 drive at 1440p it wont be better to buy (just 400$ or more to pick the last 20-40 fps in the 165hz monitors? ) , the only reason that I think that card could be better deal now than a 1080ti is if they can push 240fps at 1440p games and that is also bounded to cpu so... I think its not going to be a game breaker

So just to understand clearly your saying its prob for the best if i find a good deal on a 1080ti to pick it up ? 

7 minutes ago, Blindeagle said:

I agree , but i think after doing some research etc and thinking about it, the 1180's will take time for them to go down in price, i doubt they will release the 1180's at the same price point as the 1080ti's when they have a lot of stock to shift. So i think i will go for the plunge and get the 1080ti :)

My point is that now games are bounded to screen-gpu-fps ratio , if you want a 1440p 165hz you neeed a 1080 or biggeer but when a 1180ti comes what market is going to fill? 240hz 1440p Is the only that I think or maybe 4k 144hz but only on esports? 

and 240hz with a 9700k? mmm i dont think that intel or amd could push AAA to 240fps smoothly with new cpus , we are on a moment that a 8700k will be best value and a 1080ti will be the best to drive a 165hz panel, newer cpus or gpus will be overkill for that or underpowered for a step up (4k 144hz)

maybe thats the reason why nvidia doesnt push new cards, maybe amd thinks the same, we need a lot of improvement to drive 4k 144hz like now 1440p 144hz

My point is that now games are bounded to screen-gpu-fps ratio , if you want a 1440p 165hz you neeed a 1080 or biggeer but when a 1180ti comes what market is going to fill? 240hz 1440p Is the only that I think or maybe 4k 144hz but only on esports? 

Ah ok i get you now :) Ye i think its going to be a guessing game, We will just have to wait and see what happens, hopefully they wont screw it up, and it will slot in perfectly at a good price but who knows. Nivdia control 3/4 of the market right now, so they can do whatever they want/