NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1180 PCB: more power, new SLI finger

YongKang

Given the last update to SLI using the High Bandwidth bridge I don't see the bandwidth/scaling need since Nvidia has settled on 2 way SLI/Multi GPU support. I believe the SLI HB bridge was said to be good up to like 5K or Surround gaming. The question might be does more than 60 FPS at 4k require more bandwidth than 60hz 5K? food for thought. Hopefully we get an official announcement at the end of the month. SLI HB testing source

Just now, Swatson said:

That's just outright false, plenty of GameWorks support SLI and Nvidia never said that SLI as a whole wasn't worth it they said SLI over 2 way wasn't worth it. it could be FF15's choice of engine or multiple other factors that lead to it not supporting multi-gpu well

Well if that's the case I'd like to hear some that do, actual GameWorks games. And yes Nvidia did say that, in turn with reducing SLI to 2 way for games and 4 way for benchmarking.

7 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Well if that's the case I'd like to hear some that do, actual GameWorks games. And yes Nvidia did say that, in turn with reducing SLI to 2 way for games and 4 way for benchmarking.

The Witcher 3, GTA V come to mind immediately,

Edit: Far Cry 4

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

23 minutes ago, Swatson said:

The Witcher 3, GTA V come to mind immediately,

GTA V a game before GameWorks was a thing so I can exclude that, The Witcher 3 ok yea I'm pretty sure that does work well with it plus I forgot about The Division which I have and works well with crossfire as well.

2016 and back has always be good with SLI/Crossfire and I could almost always count on it working but ever since then, guess when Pascal/GTX 1080 was released, it's been much much worse.

Edit:

FYI The Division is a 2016 pre-Pascal game.

Edit 2:

And to further reiterate the point here is the Nvidia page of official games that support SLI, https://www.geforce.com/games-applications/technology/sli?title=&sort_bef_combine=created+DESC, the most recent being a 2016 game.

11 minutes ago, leadeater said:

GTA V a game before GameWorks was a thing so I can exclude that, The Witcher 3 ok yea I'm pretty sure that does work well with it plus I forgot about The Division which I have and works well with crossfire as well.

2016 and back has always be good with SLI/Crossfire and I could almost always count on it working but ever since then, guess when Pascal/GTX 1080 was released, it's been much much worse.

Edit:

FYI The Division is a 2016 pre-Pascal game.

Edit 2:

And to further reiterate the point here is the Nvidia page of official games that support SLI, https://www.geforce.com/games-applications/technology/sli?title=&sort_bef_combine=created+DESC, the most recent being a 2016 game.

You what? Gameworks existed before GTA V came out.... Gameworks is the name for the collection of technologies

Who cares that it's pre-pascal? Pascal is just the latest generation that doesnt mean anything

AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

3 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I'm actually surprised they don't ditch SLI entirely to push developers to use DX12 instead which should make far more efficient use of the resources.

DX12 is only a worth while "Upgrade" over DX11 if you have a good understanding of the new API. There's a reason why some DX12 renderers are similar in performance to DX11. And if you expect anyone to actually support multi card configs outside of a small group of dev's you are kidding yourself.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

24 minutes ago, Swatson said:

Edit: Far Cry 4

Another pre 2016 game ;). Might want to check up on the current state of games.

Just now, leadeater said:

Another pre 2016 game ;). Might want to check up on the current state of games.

Far Cry 5 was an AMD game, stop trying to make this about some special 2016 cutoff

1 minute ago, Swatson said:

You what? Gameworks existed before GTA V came out.... Gameworks is the name for the collection of technologies

GameWorks the tool set was released after GTA V. GameWorks includes existing Nvidia technologies and other new ones and incorporates them in to games a different way than before. I specifically said GameWorks games for a reason, not games that have some Nvidia technologies in them.

GTA V: 2013

GameWorks: 2014

14 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Edit 2:

Perhaps, just maybe, nvidia hasnt updated the page since 2016, :o

Far Cry 5 was an AMD game, stop trying to make this about some special 2016 cutoff

I'm not, it is something I have specifically noticed as a crossfire user, you're more than welcome to counter my experiences with recent post 2016 games that support SLI, I'll not even ask for crossfire just SLI.

GameWorks the tool set was released after GTA V. GameWorks includes existing Nvidia technologies and other new ones and incorporates them in to games a different way than before. I specifically said GameWorks games for a reason, not games that have some Nvidia technologies in them.

I'd like to see evidence that "Gamesworks the toolset" is different than Gamesworks the name for multiple technologies

I'd like to see evidence that "Gamesworks the toolset" is different than Gamesworks the name for multiple technologies

Nvidia GameWorks is a middleware software suite developed by Nvidia. [1] The Visual FX, PhysX and Optix SDKs provide a wide range of enhancements pre-optimised for Nvidia GPUs. GameWorks is distributed in the form of compiled DLLs rather than traditional source code.[2] 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_GameWorks

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

GTA V on PC/Xbox 1/PS4 is also not 2013, 2013 was Xbox 360 and PS3 release.

So how does that prove that it would make a difference?

KtdQCkC.png

I guess DirectX12 games don't exist because Nvidia doesn't list those either.

59 minutes ago, Swatson said:

So how does that prove that it would make a difference?

That before GameWorks visual effects were implemented using non compiled code that was accessible and modifiable to all and afterwards not due to it being done using compiled DLLs. I thought that was self explanatory.

Either way you're missing the entire point, I specifically said since GameWorks it has gotten worse which from my, as an actual crossfire user, experiences have observed. I obviously don't buy and play every game ever so me being a sample size of non significance could entirely be wrong but to show that would require recent games, not old ones, that do in fact support SLI.

And as for Far Cray 5, is that a GameWorks game like I was limiting my assessment of the situation? No, and since AMD has not de-prioritized multi GPU gaming their partner games do work with crossfire and SLI.

So my original point stands, since GameWorks multi GPU support has gotten significantly worse.

That before GameWorks visual effects were implemented using non compiled code that was accessible and modifiable to all and afterwards not due to it being done using compiled DLLs. I thought that was self explanatory.

Either way you're missing the entire point, I specifically said since GameWorks it has gotten worse which from my, as an actual crossfire user, experiences have observed. I obviously don't buy and play every game ever so me being a sample size of non significance could entirely be wrong but to show that would require recent games, not old ones, that do in fact support SLI.

And as for Far Cray 5, is that a GameWorks game like I was limiting my assessment of the situation? No, and since AMD has not de-prioritized multi GPU gaming their partner games do work with crossfire and SLI.

So my original point stands, since GameWorks multi CPU support has gotten significantly worse.

No your point doesnt stand, I provided you with games that support it and you incorrectly tried to dismiss them with false information, sorry

5 minutes ago, Swatson said:

No your point doesnt stand, I provided you with games that support it and you incorrectly tried to dismiss them with false information, sorry

No you didn't you gave a non GameWorks game, one good example, and an example I supplied myself. If you don't like my observation then provide evidence of games since GameWorks that do support SLI.

Edit:

Need I remind you that you said plenty of games do, where's the list of plenty of GameWorks games that do.

4 hours ago, Jurrunio said:

a 6pin and an 8pin? Could be the 1180ti or 1180+, but not the 1180 which should come first.

Or it's actually a rebadged 1080ti into a 1180 because they don't really know how to make something bigger.

5 minutes ago, leadeater said:

No you didn't you gave a non GameWorks game, one good example, and an example I supplied myself. If you don't like my observation then provide evidence of games since GameWorks that do support SLI.

I gave 2 games that uses Gameworks technologies, and one that is "Gameworks by your definition"

No one cares about your definition of Gamesworks, until you can prove it matters

I didn't use any example provided by you, I didn't use the Division

Prior to the toolkit release which is meant mostly to make it EASIER to implement gameworks, we called games that had gamesworks technologies gameworks games. It doesn't change just because there's an easy way to use DLL instead of manually putting into the source code.

I don’t need anything more than what a RX 580 offers so why should I care \o/

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I gave 2 games that uses Gameworks technologies, one that is "Gameworks by your definition"

No one cares about your definition of Gamesworks, until you can prove it matters

It's not my definition, it's simply a case of if a game was actually developed using the GameWorks toolset or not. It's either used or it isn't, games can and have used Nvidia technologies without GameWorks. GameWorks implementations are different, I showed you that and you dismissed but I really don't care if you believe it or not, you asked how after all so up to you to do with information given.

Anyway I did a better check and GTA V is an official GameWorks title.

As for what I actually said:

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Just seems to me GameWorks games just don't support multi GPU, basically in line with Nvidia saying that it's not worth it a while back.

Your welcome to disagree but my experiences are mine with the games I have purchased and played, I don't need a crusade so you can put down the sword. Maybe I've just been unlucky with the GameWorks titles I've purchase but crossfire support since GameWorks has been far worse for me hence my comment, it's not just some random GameWorks hate for no reason. I have 317 almost exclusively large/high production games in my Steam library to base my comment off as well, the majority of which work just fine with crossfire. 

Tonight on LTT Smackdown Vs Raw: Leadeater Vs Swatson.

Image result for michael jackson popcorn

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25