DO NOT OPEN POWER SUPPLY *IN HOSPITAL*

Yeah, so the other day I was opening up a power supply because the fan stopped spinning. I thought the fan went out and I opened the PSU up. I accidentally touch on of the capacitor (didnt know they were dangerous) and now I'm writing this in a hospital.

People do not open up PSU unless you are super confident in your knowledge around this stuff. 

Getting electrocuted isn't fun don't try this at home.

There's a reason why my PSU has 7 different warning labels saying "do not open unless you are professional"

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Dear me. 

Natural selection at its finest.

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

13 minutes ago, ygoodhh said:

Yeah, so the other day I was opening up a power supply because the fan stopped spinning. I thought the fan went out and I opened the PSU up. I accidentally touch on of the capacitor (didnt know they were dangerous) and now I'm writing this in a hospital.

That's why you always empty the caps.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just to give your guys a detail version of this.

I was fixing my friends pc after he said his computer would shut down under load with normal temps for CPU and GPU.

The case was open when we were testing I noticed that his PSU fan won't spin despite the system under heavy load.

I determined that the power supply was bad after I put mine in so I decided to open up the PSU to check whats wrong. He's pc its pretty old so I thought it could be dust build up or something stopping the fan from spinning.

MY BIGGEST MISTAKE HERE: I opened the PSU while it was connected. Of course, I found out that it was connected then I unplugged the PSU for safety purposes (I thought that was safe enough).

Then I grabbed the PSU in my hand to inspect, then yeah.... I dont know anything after that.

According to my friend (thank god he was with me) the ambulance came and they used a defibrillator on me. I think after that I was fine but I was still passed out cold they just sent me to the hospital after that.

This happened yesterday. 

1 minute ago, ygoodhh said:

Just to give your guys a detail version of this.

I was fixing my friends pc after he said his computer would shut down under load with normal temps for CPU and GPU.

The case was open when we were testing I noticed that his PSU fan won't spin despite the system under heavy load.

I determined that the power supply was bad after I put mine in so I decided to open up the PSU to check whats wrong. He's pc its pretty old so I thought it could be dust build up or something stopping the fan from spinning.

MY BIGGEST MISTAKE HERE: I opened the PSU while it was connected. Of course, I found out that it was connected then I unplugged the PSU for safety purposes.

Then I grabbed the PSU in my hand to inspect, then yeah.... I dont know anything after that.

According to my friend (thank god he was with me) the ambulance came and they used a defibrillator on me. I think after that I was fine but I was still passed out cold they just sent me to the hospital after that.

This happened yesterday. 

It'll kill you even if the powers off.

You should read warning labels, they are there for a reason.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Capacitors can keep the charge even if they were unplugged for a while. Louis mentioned how dangerous power supplies can be in the iMac repair video (iMac Pro has  open power supply... That's why it's not meant to be opened, not because some hipsters said so).

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

Just now, LienusLateTips said:

It'll kill you even if the powers off.

You should read warning labels, they are there for a reason.

you are 100% right. I'm kind of an idiot when it comes to safety stuff. Once my cars jack stands failed while I was under luckily I crawled out in time. I definitely need to be more cautious around stuff with warning labels.

2 minutes ago, ygoodhh said:

MY BIGGEST MISTAKE HERE: I opened the PSU while it was connected. Of course, I found out that it was connected then I unplugged the PSU for safety purposes.

Never ever touch the internals of a PSU, even if disconnected, unless you abso-freaking-lutely know what you're doing. 
PSU capacitors can maintain a stored charge for weeks or even months.

Take a good rest and get well, OP.

16 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

should sticky this for PSA to be honest ._.

(not to ride on your injury OP. I'm glad you're alive)

this is common knowledge and gets said just about everywhere whenever someone on youtube or in any guide does something with a PSU that is more than just plugging it in.

Capacitors can fuck people up easily and instantly as soon as you get to voltages high enough to overcome the resistance of the skin.

17 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

should sticky this for PSA to be honest ._.

(not to ride on your injury OP. I'm glad you're alive)

Agreed. People need to know that their PC can very well kill them. Even tho they are harmless most of the times. 

Just now, Mohammad Ali said:

Happens to me way before you did but not that critical.

I pretty much touch the capacitor right after it was unplugged so I guess that's why i basically died for a short while 

12 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

That's why you always empty the caps.

IMO,not worth it unless you really,really know what you're doing. Even then it's just better to spend $40-50 or so on a new PSU instead of risking serious injury.

5 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

IMO,not worth it unless you really,really know what you're doing. Even then it's just better to spend $40-50 or so on a new PSU instead of risking serious injury.

when i did it .i did not open because it was not working .

I did it out of curiosity .

18 minutes ago, Quadriplegic said:

Capacitors can keep the charge even if they were unplugged for a while. Louis mentioned how dangerous power supplies can be in the iMac repair video (iMac Pro has  open power supply... That's why it's not meant to be opened, not because some hipsters said so).

I havent watched that video yet. If I did before I opened up that PSU I probably won't end in the hospital...

when i did it .i did not open because it was not working .

I did it out of curiosity .

you sir are a brave man

maybe this is different somehow but i di this once an was fine half an hour later or so. same situation fan made rateling noise opened it to change the fan. was just about to test if my replacement fan would work and shocked myself and triggered a fuse.  still.. put it back together after that since the psu still worked perfectly fine. mayb i got less power in my shock? idk

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

1 minute ago, cluelessgenius said:

maybe this is different somehow but i di this once an was fine half an hour later or so. same situation fan made rateling noise opened it to change the fan. was just about to test if my replacement fan would work and shocked myself and triggered a fuse.  still.. put it back together after that since the psu still worked perfectly fine. mayb i got less power in my shock? idk

I think by that time the capacitors weren't nearly as charged as right after they are unplugged. You got off easy man.

Common knowledge is if the fan is dead in a PSU you get a new PSU period my professor who works in the IT field said just get a new PSU instead of trying to replace  the dead fan it because this will happen to you. Lucky you had your friend or you would be dead on the floor for about a couple of hours.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT