Ryzen 7 2700 not reaching 4.1ghz stock

Go to solution Solved by nick name,
22 minutes ago, Krawly said:

It's set to 20% now. Using the Ryzen balanced plan. Should I do another stress test now or is there anything else I should do?

Open up HWiNFO and see if the maximums go up to 41. It may take an acutual minute. 

21 minutes ago, LionSpeck said:

Exactly, I thought it wouldn't make sense to set such an option, and being that I hadn't heard of any such problem solved with such a solution, that seemed really odd to me

Yeah you ain't wrong, but that's how AMD setup Ryzens XFR2/PBO stuff. 

Also we never asked you if you installed all your drivers after your install. Did you do that already @Krawly?

21 minutes ago, Krawly said:

So without noticing when it happened, but HW Monitor is showing that 6 of 8 cores have gotten well near 4.1ghz from just that. I'll run a test and see what happens

That should indicate things have been fixed. 

Just now, LionSpeck said:

Well, I'm sure that's true, but I think that the way the OS interfaces itself with the processor wouldn't be reversed compared to Intel CPUs, so that imposing a minimum limit would increase your maximum limit. Again, I'm not sure about this, but it seemed really nonsense to me

Hey, I'm not saying it makes sense -- I'm just saying that's how it is. And that 20% is a specific number that must be met also. The CPU doesn't utilize its full range unless that is set properly. And @Krawly you can use the AMD Balanced Plan or the Windows Balanced Plan as long as that specific setting is set to 20%.

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

It's set to 20% now. Using the Ryzen balanced plan. Should I do another stress test now or is there anything else I should do?

@Krawly Another behavior you might notice is that if you open HWiNFO right after you boot into Windows is the cores may all show the exact same multipliers. It may take a minute for the CPU to set itself to the full range of minimums and maximums. And those maximums may fluctuate up and down a little as you use your system. 

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

1 minute ago, nick name said:

Hey, I'm not saying it makes sense -- I'm just saying that's how it is. And that 20% is a specific number that must be met also. The CPU doesn't utilize its full range unless that is set properly. And @Krawly you can use the AMD Balanced Plan or the Windows Balanced Plan as long as that specific setting is set to 20%.

Exactly, I thought it wouldn't make sense to set such an option, and being that I hadn't heard of any such problem solved with such a solution, that seemed really odd to me

DESKTOP PC - CPU-Z VALIDi5 4690K @ 4.70 GHz | 47 X 100.2 MHz | ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer | Enermax Liqmax II 240mm | EVGA GTX 1070Ti OC'd

HOME SERVER | HP ProLiant DL380 G7 | 2x Intel Xeon X5650 | 36GB DDR3 RDIMM | 5x 4TB LFF Seagate Constellation 7.2K | Curcial MX500 250GB | Ubuntu Server 20.04

So without noticing when it happened, but HW Monitor is showing that 6 of 8 cores have gotten well near 4.1ghz from just that. I'll run a test and see what happens

22 minutes ago, Krawly said:

Open up HWiNFO and see if the maximums go up to 41. It may take an acutual minute. 

21 minutes ago, LionSpeck said:

Yeah you ain't wrong, but that's how AMD setup Ryzens XFR2/PBO stuff. 

Also we never asked you if you installed all your drivers after your install. Did you do that already @Krawly?

21 minutes ago, Krawly said:

That should indicate things have been fixed. 

I installed the driver for my motherboard from the 7th this month and currently on 18.7.1 on my 580

You having the AMD Balanced Plan available was also an indicator you installed the drivers so I asked a dumb question and I am sorry if it was insulting to assume you hadn't.

All cores did get to 4.1ghz. Seems kind of odd that AMD wouldn't set that default in the Ryzen power plan.. hmm

4.1 Maximum I mean, not all being currently at that speed

17 minutes ago, Krawly said:

All cores did get to 4.1ghz. Seems kind of odd that AMD wouldn't set that default in the Ryzen power plan.. hmm

Only use Performance if you want to overclock and lock your cores at a single speed. Even if you don't overclock -- the CPU will still behave like you locked the multiplier while using Performance mode.

@Krawly glad we got that fixed. Don't forget to thank @LionSpeck for the time he gave you. He is good people. 

Just now, nick name said:

@Krawly glad we got that fixed. Don't forget to thank @LionSpeck for the time he gave you. He is good people. 

Thank YOU for the patience of explaining me I was wrong and teaching me that lil trick about Ryzen xD

DESKTOP PC - CPU-Z VALIDi5 4690K @ 4.70 GHz | 47 X 100.2 MHz | ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer | Enermax Liqmax II 240mm | EVGA GTX 1070Ti OC'd

HOME SERVER | HP ProLiant DL380 G7 | 2x Intel Xeon X5650 | 36GB DDR3 RDIMM | 5x 4TB LFF Seagate Constellation 7.2K | Curcial MX500 250GB | Ubuntu Server 20.04

Of course, thank you both for the time and helping me fix the problem. I appreciate it a lot, first time really coming to the forums but if this is any indication of how the community is here then I'll definitely stick around.

1 hour ago, LionSpeck said:

Thank YOU for the patience of explaining me I was wrong and teaching me that lil trick about Ryzen xD

I came across it after getting stuck. It was in a Reddit thread, I think, from an AMD rep.

@Krawly You are most welcome.

And sadly not everyone is as nice or as helpful as @LionSpeck but there are plenty of people that will actually help you here. 

@Krawly On a separate note -- when you can afford to get a better kit of RAM I would highly encourage you to do so. Find a kit that is manufactured with Samsung b-die. G.SKILLL has a lot of different kits with Samsung b-die memory chips, but other companies also do too. Try to get yourself a 3200CL14 kit and you will see much better performance from your Ryzen 2700. 

Yes, the ram is definitely the next step of the upgrades for this thing. Unfortunately the prices for 3200 cl14 kits are very expensive in CAD, I'll definitely keep my eye out.

• 2 years later...
On 7/31/2018 at 3:34 AM, nick name said:

What memory kit are you running?

Also, in your HWiNFO screenshot your max core speed is only showing 35. That should read your highest multiplier which I think is 41. You need to set your Windows Power Plan to Balanced and under advanced power settings look for this setting and change the value to what is shown.

Power.PNG

I literally searched for the problem a week and the answer was so easy thank you so much (Although you wrote this 3 years ago xD)