Best (used) CPU/Mobo for $100 total?

As the title states, I am on a pretty tight budget and was wondering what the best CPU and motherboard I could get for $100 total because I believe my A10-6800k is dying (I also would like to get some more power as it is showing its age and it wasn't great new.) I already have ddr3, so it needs to support ddr3. Currently, I am thinking about a i5 3570 as I can get it for roughly $50-60 and I can get an 1155 motherboard for $40-50. However, I was wondering if there was any other better options such as a xeon on something? I am mainly going to game so more threads aren't too useful. If it helps any, my gpu is an R9 Fury.

Why do you think your A10 6800k is dying?

And no, we cannot help. You need an open mind and general knowledge if you are buying used. And you will stuggle getting a decent combo under $100US off the bat

E3-1240 (no V2/V3/etc) + random H61 board from ebay.

E3-1240 gets hyperthreading (8 threads) and is ~3.2ghz.

Extra threads REALLY help in newer games.  Straight 4 core is not enough and will cause stuttering in newer games.

2 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Why do you think your A10 6800k is dying?

I believe my A10 6800k is dying as my pc (usually during idle) will randomly turn off and sometimes will not post for the next 15-30 minutes after shutting off. My thermals are fine, and it almost never happens during gaming or other high load so I don't think it could be thermals or PSU. I have tried replacing my motherboard, gpu, and ram. I have also tried reinstalling windows and reseating all connections in the computer including the cpu when I swapped motherboards. I can only assume it is due to the cpu as I have pretty much replaced or RMAd everything else.

6 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

And no, we cannot help. You need an open mind and general knowledge if you are buying used. And you will stuggle getting a decent combo under $100US off the bat

I do have an open mind and plenty of knowledge on computers, I just have a tight budget. Also, I can easily getting a i5 3570 and motherboard for $100US, which I guess your opinion may vary, but I consider to be decent. I just wanted to see if anyone else had found a server cpu or something else that would be a better option.

You could just get a g4560 and a random lga 1151 mobo new.

1 minute ago, samocamo123 said:

I believe my A10 6800k is dying as my pc (usually during idle) will randomly turn off and sometimes will not post for the next 15-30 minutes after shutting off. My thermals are fine, and it almost never happens during gaming or other high load so I don't think it could be thermals or PSU. I have tried replacing my motherboard, gpu, and ram. I have also tried reinstalling windows and reseating all connections in the computer including the cpu when I swapped motherboards. I can only assume it is due to the cpu as I have pretty much replaced or RMAd everything else.

What's the system specs? WHat is the PSU? What does the windows system logs say?

1 minute ago, samocamo123 said:

I do have an open mind and plenty of knowledge on computers, I just have a tight budget. Also, I can easily getting a i5 3570 and motherboard for $100US, which I guess your opinion may vary, but I consider to be decent. I just wanted to see if anyone else had found a server cpu or something else that would be a better option.

What about i7 2600 combo? 

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

Just now, Comic_Sans_MS said:

What's the system specs? WHat is the PSU? What does the windows system logs say?

Honestly, anything Intel from the last 7 years will be a huge upgrade.  It doesnt matter if its failing or not.

2 minutes ago, Quadriplegic said:

What about i7 2600 combo? 

i7-2600 is a bit expensive.  E3-1240 is a much better deal, you can find them for $40 if you look hard enough.

11 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Extra threads REALLY help in newer games.  Straight 4 core is not enough and will cause stuttering in newer games.

As far as I have seen due to the higher clock and ipc increase from ivy bridge, the i5 3570 shows stronger performance even with less threads. 

4 minutes ago, HelloJack5 said:

You could just get a g4560 and a random lga 1151 mobo new.

I could but that would have less performance than a i5 3570 AND I would have to buy DDR4.

2 minutes ago, samocamo123 said:

As far as I have seen due to the higher clock and ipc increase from ivy bridge, the i5 3570 shows stronger performance even with less threads. 

No, Ivy/Sandy are less than 10% apart.  Ivy will run faster memory with a high end board though.  High end board is not in the budget, so there is no benefit.

4 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

A10-6800k

R9 Fury

GIGABYTE GA-F2A75M-HD2

8 GB of Corsair Vengeance DDR3

Corsair CX650M (gray model)

Cooler Master Hyper T2

Windows system logs usually don't say anything after the crash other than reporting an unexpected shut off.

2 minutes ago, samocamo123 said:

A10-6800k

R9 Fury

GIGABYTE GA-F2A75M-HD2

8 GB of Corsair Vengeance DDR3

Corsair CX650M (gray model)

Cooler Master Hyper T2

Windows system logs usually don't say anything after the crash other than reporting an unexpected shut off.

Make sure to get new RAM then.  RAM can cause those kinds of problems.

1 minute ago, KarathKasun said:

Make sure to get new ram then.  RAM can cause those kinds of problems.

I did have Kingston HyperX Blu in there before, but I swapped over to the Corsair Vengeance to see if it would fix it. Sadly the issue still happens.

Have you tried using the integrated graphics and pulling the Fury out to rule it out?

4 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Have you tried using the integrated graphics and pulling the Fury out to rule it out?

No but I did try swapping over to my old 7870 (worked great, I just upgraded bc it was getting slow) and it didn't fix the issue. I also RMAd my fury before I had the idea to try the 7870 and it didn't help. Also my system worked for probably 6 months after getting the fury with no issues. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

14 hours ago, KarathKasun said:

Would an E3-1230v2 or a i5 4570 be any better than the E3-1240? 

Not significantly.  E3-1230 v2 costs much more for not much more capability last I checked.

i5 4570 still has the problem of only having 4 threads.  My i5-7300hq laptop performs similarly to my E3-1240 if that gives you any idea of how far forward you have to go before the better single core performance overcomes the extra threads.

1 minute ago, KarathKasun said:

Not significantly.  E3-1230 v2 costs much more for not much more capability last I checked.

i5 4570 still has the problem of only having 4 threads.  My i5-7300hq laptop performs similarly to my E3-1240 if that gives you any idea of how far forward you have to go before the better single core performance overcomes the extra threads.

E3-1230 v2 costs about $60-$80 or roughly the same cost as an i5 4570. I rarely do productivity tasks such as video editing and mainly play games like GTA V and No Man's Sky, so will the extra threads really help that much?

Extra threads help with frame drops and low FPS.

The benefit starts to decline at ~6 threads, but there are only 4c/4t and 4c/8t CPUs for that platform.

18 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Extra threads help with frame drops and low FPS.

Hmm, so do the E3-1240's extra threads make up for the i5 4570 being on LGA 1150 and thus having cheaper higher quality motherboards with more features? LGA 1150 also gives the option of a i7 4790 if I ever need more power

5 hours ago, samocamo123 said:

Hmm, so do the E3-1240's extra threads make up for the i5 4570 being on LGA 1150 and thus having cheaper higher quality motherboards with more features? LGA 1150 also gives the option of a i7 4790 if I ever need more power

Features between the two platforms are not much different.  Still DDR3/SATA3/PCIe v3 (PCIe v2 on Sandy and v3 on Ivy).

Board availability may be different, but there are no "high quality" boards under ~$125 for either platform.  There are normal "OEM" PC quality boards in your price range, and thats it.

1 hour ago, KarathKasun said:

Features between the two platforms are not much different.  Still DDR3/SATA3/PCIe v3 (PCIe v2 on Sandy and v3 on Ivy).

Board availability may be different, but there are no "high quality" boards under ~$125 for either platform.  There are normal "OEM" PC quality boards in your price range, and thats it.

Hmm, when looking it seems easier to find a non-oem (still budget but higher quality) 1150 board for 30-40$ than a non-oem 1155 for 50-60$