Scrapyard Wars 7 Pt. 2 - NO INTERNET

nicklmg
On 28-7-2018 at 9:37 PM, ElaTheDeveloper said:

If there's one thing I've picked up from this sub, its "WHO IS THE SWITCH GIRL" and product placement.

However, as a little heads up, as far as I know, under UK advertising regulations, if they were a UK company that would not be ok if it was product placement, as it would need to be clearly marked in the start of the episode with a little P sign or something.

Then again, i'm just a girl online, what do I know? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's not a UK thing btw, it's a EU thing.

UK (for now), Belgium, Germany, France, etc. all of them have this law. The marking can be slightly different (in the netherlands for example the icon is usually a bit bigger compared to Belgium) but the marking is still required.

Also i don't know about non-eu countries and even tho the EU isn't a majority of the viewing audience, it's a MUCH bigger piece than the UK.

I can't speak the language of a lawyer but tbh it's not that difficult to undestand...

http://ec.europa.eu/archives/information_society/avpolicy/reg/tvwf/advertising/product/index_en.htm

TL:DR product placement needs to be made clear at the beginning of the episode, at the end and after every commercial break.

But then again, it's a EU thing and neither youtube or LMG is part of that so it's probably not a big deal. But i guess they can at least keep this in mind for next time...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

I have to say, personally it felt weird seeing her multiple times on screen when Linus appears rather than being it annoying. I checked some of the comments on why she was there until people said something about product placement. Her appearance seem'd more noticeable then any other kind of advertisement I have seen in videos or movies. In a way, it is kinda funny and I think now with all this attention (even though it's kinda 'negative'), she has become sort of a meme as Linus said in his response. Maybe things could've been done differently, say let them use their phones with a Dbrand skin as advertisement since they aren't allowed to use the internet anyways.

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

Her leaning against a vending machine while Colton (or anyone) tries to buy a drink but she would just keep switching it up like an animated statue

this would be funnier with Dennis

1 minute ago, VegetableStu said:

... would this joke a bit too niche to the wider audience? ,_,

maybe, but still better then the creepy Chinese girl version :ph34r:

4 hours ago, asus killer said:

maybe, but still better then the creepy Chinese girl version :ph34r:

I don't think she's Chinese, I think she's likely from Korea.

On 7/30/2018 at 3:45 PM, Zeitec said:

I mean it's not free on Floatplane. It was just a bit distracting to have someone following them around playing on a switch wherever they went. I get that they need a sponsor, and it's hard to integrate their usual DBrand sponsorship into a competition where they can't really use computers, but maybe this wasn't the way to do it. 

I thought it was a great way to do it and hope they keep doing it. I'll be looking for her or someone like her in future videos now 

On 31/07/2018 at 7:00 AM, _Grid21 said:

Why is stuff like this a big deal? TV companies do this all the time, but when someone like Linus does it, you all freak out. Frankly, it's really none of your business how @LinusTech Decides to do any advertising.

Actually yes it is.

In the USA and Canada it is perfectly legal to do product placements or sponsored content with minimal disclosures. In the EU and UK, product placements are very rare on TV and online video because of regulations. Sponsorships are vastly more common and must be adequately disclosed according to regulations.

On 31/07/2018 at 7:00 AM, _Grid21 said:

If that's the marketing plan they went with, you all should acknowledge that's what they decided to do and move on and stop wasting Linus' time in stupid marketing drama.

The issue was that Linus did not properly disclose the product placement and affiliation of the girl using the Switch in the video. In the USA and Canada, this type of product placement does not require disclosure. In the EU and UK, this absolutely warrants disclosure and if LMG was UK or EU based they would get in deep legal trouble over this issue.

EU and UK consumers are trained to know that content is sponsored or that there is product placement because of disclosures both verbally and text and also markings showing it on screen.  American and Canadian consumers are not.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Can't you use offline Google Maps? That should be allowed.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

Sorry to necro, wanted to throw my 2 cents in (not Jay's :P) 

I'm on float plane, watched ltt avidly for years.

I was watching with my girlfriend who is just mildly interested, and we were both just confused and put off by the girl. More so actually that she seemed to be either being ignored... Or that she was really crap on camera and was hiding and following you around! 

I'm in the UK. Couldn't give two shits how you advertise. Now that I'm in on the joke, I get where it was coming from. 

"swing and a miss" is perfect. Definitely an interesting way of including tech in a tech-less showdown.

The ad-hoc format couldn't do it, but it would have worked as a stationary Easter egg I think. Working on a laptop in the background, on her phone at the bus stop. More prep though, which isn't on the run and gun spirit of scrapyard wars! 

We thought it was original and creative. Loved it!