Scrapyard Wars 7 Pt. 2 - NO INTERNET

nicklmg

I figured from the very beginning of having her in every shot without being acknowledged that...well its easy to imagine Linus tossing this idea around like "omg this would be so funny and throw everyone off, and we're doing it"

and he nailed it.

YouTube/CoalitionGaming - Cameras: Canon 1DX MkII, Canon EOS M6 MkII, Panasonic Lumix G85
The Gaming/Streaming/Editing Rig: Codename
LINCHPIN 
Ryzen 9 5900X // Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite mobo // 32gb G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600mhz // Swiftech Boreas custom CPU loop & IRIS Helix Fans // Lian LI PC-O11 Dynamic Case // Nvidia RTX 3080 FE  // Sandisk x400 1tb SSD // Micron 2tb SSD // WD 1tb Blue HDD // SK Hynix Gold P31 NVME 1tb SSD // 

6 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Just checking into this since I got a PM that was concerned we were trying to conceal the Dbrand product placement and that was worried about us running afoul of sponsorship disclosure laws.Here's what I had to say about Switch Girl in response:

Clearly we were wrong in the sense that people didn't think it was funny. 

Swing and a miss...

I seriously thought that it was a relative from Yvonnes side...

6 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Just checking into this since I got a PM that was concerned we were trying to conceal the Dbrand product placement and that was worried about us running afoul of sponsorship disclosure laws.Here's what I had to say about Switch Girl in response:

Swing and a miss...

Thanks for the update. People took it way more personally/seriously than they should have. 

If I were a bird, I'd fly into a ceiling fan.

7 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Swing and a miss...

I just thought...   A. cute and B. she seemed to placed in ways that hid the camera from view a lot.

There's something cool here - you just can't see it.

24 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Swing and a miss...

I thought it was hilarious. Performance art at it's best. :)

(But then I AM weird. I liked the new Star Wars... hated the new Star Trek and love watching films WITHOUT dubs and WITH subtitles. xD )

I just didnt know who the girl was or why she was so involved in her device lmfao I thought Linus had family visiting town and had to bring them with him and they were super uninterested in scrapyard wars

48 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Swing and a miss...

I thought it was hilarious. I actually started looking into LTT vlogs and such to see if she'd been a thing in the past. 

Damn, the switch girl was product placement? Meanwhile I was just here thinking LTT was trying to give the viewers eye candy in scrapward wars S7. Anyways, I thought it was hilarious and a great product placement. People are complaining about a sponsor in essentially free content, and it wasn't a big deal, I enjoyed it in there.

16 minutes ago, Rekedal said:

Damn, the switch girl was product placement? Meanwhile I was just here thinking LTT was trying to give the viewers eye candy in scrapward wars S7. Anyways, I thought it was hilarious and a great product placement. People are complaining about a sponsor in essentially free content, and it wasn't a big deal, I enjoyed it in there.

I mean it's not free on Floatplane. It was just a bit distracting to have someone following them around playing on a switch wherever they went. I get that they need a sponsor, and it's hard to integrate their usual DBrand sponsorship into a competition where they can't really use computers, but maybe this wasn't the way to do it. 

Main System: EVGA GTX 1080 SC, i7 8700, 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15, Asus Z370 Prime A, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R5, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 500gb Samsung 850 Evo
Secondary System: EVGA GTX 780ti SC, i5 3570k @ 4.5ghz, 16gb DDR3 1600mhz, MSI Z77 G43, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R4, 3TB WD Caviar Blue, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo

1 hour ago, LinusTech said:

Swing and a miss...

I thought it was great

2 hours ago, LinusTech said:

Swing and a miss...

For me personally it was a bit unnecessary and distracting/discomforting. I know you should/can/have to shouout a sponsor verbally and via text, some number of times, as much as you want, but it was too much "in your face". If she stood far back, and not literally in front of camera, it would be acceptable, tho in my opinion, unnecessary. Looking forward to next episodes

On 28/07/2018 at 8:37 PM, ElaTheDeveloper said:

If there's one thing I've picked up from this sub, its "WHO IS THE SWITCH GIRL" and product placement.

However, as a little heads up, as far as I know, under UK advertising regulations, if they were a UK company that would not be ok if it was product placement, as it would need to be clearly marked in the start of the episode with a little P sign or something.

Then again, i'm just a girl online, what do I know? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That’s correct: 

Swing and a miss...

I just found it annoying to have that switch girl in almost every shot with you, and without any kind of funny joke that DBrand sent someone to follow you around for product placement since you refused to use a 'new' laptop with their camo skin. Plus since a laptop is almost useless for research without the internet, you guys are not using them this time to show that skin anyway.   I just hope switch girl is not going to be like that in every remaining episode. 

Switch girl was distracting.. but if she was head to toe in DBrand merch or been handing out DBrand skins to randoms at all the places you went it could have been funny while being distracting.  Instead it was a weird creeping mute girl with a white switch.... hope it doesn't continue rest of the episodes.

If that was trying, you failed miserably xD It's also not like you showed off a D-Brand product that wasn't a switch in the opening either, so to me it's simply product placement, and a whole lot better than you guys running around in D-Branded clothing...

14 minutes ago, sr0n said:

That’s correct:

Except Linus isn't in the UK nor their primary target audience, they just have to comply with local laws, youtube rules and "maybe" the FTC. To what I have found LMG is in compliance with the FTC CRTC and likely with youtube (which is a simple checkbox). CAP could try to go after them, but it's not really worth their time... The most they could do is demand LMG to block such content from the UK...

3 hours ago, LinusTech said:

Swing and a miss...

Jesus man, this is a painful cop out...

Do you really think some homie cares about that 200 dollar battery? LOL

10 hours ago, LinusTech said:

Swing and a miss...

Thank you for the clarification. Its a bold move to try something different. Sometimes it works and is like striking oil, other times it turns out to be a dud. You never know until you try it. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Why is stuff like this a big deal? TV companies do this all the time, but when someone like Linus does it, you all freak out. Frankly, it's really none of your business how @LinusTech Decides to do any advertising. If that's the marketing plan they went with, you all should acknowledge that's what they decided to do and move on and stop wasting Linus' time in stupid marketing drama. This shouldn't be new to anyone. Let the poor man do what he loves, pay the bills for his family, and company, and continue to enjoy the great videos he makes! End of Story folks, now move on. Thank you. 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2Ghz Pinnacle Ridge | Asus Prime X570-Pro | Corsair Vengeances RGB PRO 64GB 3200Mhz | EVGA Nvidia Geforce 3060 XC | EVGA G2 SuperNova 750 Watt PSU

not everybody knows funny, it happens.

Things that could actually be funny: having her cross in front of the shot several times, hide her waldo style so viewers had to look for her. 

I'm hoping to see some hilariously OTT positioning of Switch Girl in the final episode. Reshoot it if you have to. I want to see a shot of Switch Girl in the foreground and the just the corner of the PC in the background when you are doing the reveal.

13 hours ago, LinusTech said:

Swing and a miss...

personally I was more curious than anything.