OLD PC (LCD-386) - Need DOS to work

Go to solution Solved by NelizMastr,

The date won't stick because the CMOS or RTC battery is stone dead and probably has been for 20 years. 1989 would probably be accurate, age wise, so use a DOS version that was relevant at the time. I'd say MS-DOS or PC-DOS 3.3 or 4.x.  

Word of warning, you'll need to write 5 floppies if all you have is a 5,25" drive for MS-DOS 4.x. PC-DOS 3.30 only needs 2.

Download links:

https://winworldpc.com/download/57e2809c-331c-c2b1-c28f-11c3a6e28094  - MS-DOS 4.01

https://winworldpc.com/download/c2bb7b05-6ac2-ae6b-11c3-a4c2ac5a5404 - PC-DOS 3.30  

I'm not sure who to contact so I thought I might find help here
Already contacted The 8-Bit Guy but he could not help

In short:

Got an LCD-386 Portable Computer

Information about this PC is like inexistent on the internet

I can switch it on but need a DOS

The BIOS is set to 1989

If the information that I have found are correct it was made by IBM

It has a 5 inch floppy driver
Should have an HDD (Did not open it yet)

Some photos in attachment

What DOS might it need ?

I also tried to change the time in the BIOS but every time I restart it resets to 1989, do not know how to save as there is no option save & exit/continue

Any suggestion how I could I fix it or who to contact ?

IMG_20180727_083237636.jpg

JPEG_20180725_092302.jpg

JPEG_20180726_104736.jpg

12 minutes ago, forestpas3 said:

What DOS might it need ?

FreeDOS should work.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

The date won't stick because the CMOS or RTC battery is stone dead and probably has been for 20 years. 1989 would probably be accurate, age wise, so use a DOS version that was relevant at the time. I'd say MS-DOS or PC-DOS 3.3 or 4.x.  

Word of warning, you'll need to write 5 floppies if all you have is a 5,25" drive for MS-DOS 4.x. PC-DOS 3.30 only needs 2.

Download links:

https://winworldpc.com/download/57e2809c-331c-c2b1-c28f-11c3a6e28094  - MS-DOS 4.01

https://winworldpc.com/download/c2bb7b05-6ac2-ae6b-11c3-a4c2ac5a5404 - PC-DOS 3.30  

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

2 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

1989 would probably be accurate, age wise, so use a DOS version that was relevant at the time. I'd say MS-DOS or PC-DOS 3.3 or 4.x.

There is no need to use an age-accurate DOS-version. FreeDOS works just fine on old 386's.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

There is no need to use an age-accurate DOS-version. FreeDOS works just fine on old 386's.

Never said it was needed. I just prefer to use age accurate versions personally. And you get full compatibility, which isn't 100% with freedos

Also, FreeDOS can't install from floppy. It's CD-ROM and USB only. The 386 existed before the CD was invented, so there is no real way to get the OS installed.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

4 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Also, FreeDOS can't install from floppy. It's CD-ROM and USB only. The 386 existed before the CD was invented, so there is no real way to get the OS installed.

Install FreeDOS in a VM, use bootfix to write MBR on the floppy, then copy the minimal set of files and bootfix needed to boot it up on the floppy, boot the 386 with floppy, use bootfix to write the MBR on the HDD, then copy the files from the floppy to the HDD. Now you can copy the rest of the files between the VM and the 386 by doing multiple rounds with the floppy.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

Install FreeDOS in a VM, use bootfix to write MBR on the floppy, then copy the minimal set of files and bootfix needed to boot it up on the floppy, boot the 386 with floppy, use bootfix to write the MBR on the HDD, then copy the files from the floppy to the HDD. Now you can copy the rest of the files between the VM and the 386 by doing multiple rounds with the floppy.

I hope OP has a USB 5,25" floppy drive available then ^_^ 

Just now, NelizMastr said:

I hope OP has a USB 5,25" floppy drive available then ^_^ 

Well, he can't get MS-DOS or PC-DOS 3.3 or 4.x on a floppy, either, without one.

I have an old PC with a CD & 3.5 inch & 5 inch floppy drive and win 95
So it should work
Thanks for the responses
I will try and comment if it worked

• 3 weeks later...