Why should I choose NVIDIA ?

Hiten Das

Why people buy NVIDIA? I want to buy a GPU. But, some people say AMD is better than NVIDIA. Some other say, NVIDIA is the best.

What is difference between AMD and NVIDIA cards?

• Is NVIDIA best value for money?
  • Does NVIDIA cards last longer than AMD?
  • Does NVIDIA cards offer anything extra which can't be offered by AMD?

• This varies more by model than by brand so just look at individual options from each
  • Generally speaking, any GPU should become obsolete before it stops working.  Some people say AMD cards tend to not go obsolete as fast, due to the way they take their time getting efficient drivers working and the higher raw compute power but idk how much there is to any of that.
  • They offer Gsync, and the GameWorks suite including Hairworks, PhysX, etc.  AMD has its own special tech though like freesync which is more affordable and more widely supported, so keep that in mind.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Right now, I think Nvidia has a bit better value than AMD but that will stop in a month or two once AMD card prices drop further.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

it comes down to your budget and where you live and what you do.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

There is no "best brand". Both offer competitive products and ecosystems. It really depends on where you live and the prices of the GPUs in your area. Neither company's card really lasts longer as advancements in the industry lead them to become obsolete within a few years.

Just look at your budget and buy the best card you can with your money.

34 minutes ago, Hiten Das said:

Why people buy NVIDIA? I want to buy a GPU. But, some people say AMD is better than NVIDIA. Some other say, NVIDIA is the best.

• Best value for money is subjective.
  • Neither company's cards last longer than the others in a technical sense. Cards from both are eventually made outdated by inevitable successors and technological advances. Kepler cards (GTX 600-700 series) are kind of an outlier due to their subpar geometry processing performance, so with newer games tending to use more intricate geometry (tessellation and volumetric lighting for example) those cards aged extremely quickly and became irrelevant well before their time. 
  • Nvidia tends to offer more features than AMD, especially things like Ansel or various "-works" tech. However AMD's feature stack has become very respectable over the last couple years, especially with Radeon ReLive being an arguably superior counterpart to Nvidia Shadowplay.
  • In most games Nvidia cards tend to have a small advantage in overall performance, especially in older titles. This is largely due to driver overhead on AMD's part that they still can't manage to deal with completely. On that note, AMD's drivers have been marginally more reliable and stable than Nvidia's as of late. 

An important distinction to make however is adaptive sync features for monitors. Nvidia G-sync is considered slightly superior to AMD Freesync, however Freesync requires no added cost passed down to consumers and has much greater adoption in the monitor market. G-sync requires a special module to be built into the monitor to control the refresh rate, while Freesync relies on the Displayport standard and driver support. 

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

People who tell you to choose based on the company don't know that much about computers.  They're just loyalists.  Both companies have made excellent and horrible products.  Your budget and use case will decide what product is the best.

17 minutes ago, MaccaB said:

1. More Nvidia sponsored game

2. G-sync is very good.

3. Overclocking is EZ.

1. "Nvidia sponsored" doesn't mean anything
  2. FreeSync is better, considering it's free
  3. The overclocking process is identical on both NVIDIA and AMD cards

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Nvidia sponsor a lot more titles and when they do nvidia work closely with developpers to ensure better optimization and they will propose a lot of assets and technologies for them to use in their AAA titles which is a big plus.

Nvidia cards also run cooler and quieter because they are a lot more energy efficient, which in turn makes them last longer before they fail.

Nvidia drivers are better for newer games that come out, every time a major title is released nvidia will deliver a new driver a couple days BEFORE (not 4 weeks after once you've finished the game like AMD does) it launch to ensure maximum compatibility and performance.

Nvidia has a lot of technologies built in that AMD doesnt have, many of them in regards to VR.

Nvidia cards are an easy and fast re-sell once you're done with it and you want an upgrade you'll find someone to take if of your hands quickly where as an AMD card is a tuffer sell because nobody really want them if they can avoid AMD they will, for the aforementioned reasons.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 hour ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Nvidia sponsor a lot more titles and when they do nvidia work closely with developpers to ensure better optimization and they will propose a lot of assets and technologies for them to use in their AAA titles which is a big plus.

Nvidia cards also run cooler and quieter because they are a lot more energy efficient, which in turn makes them last longer before they fail.

Nvidia drivers are better for newer games that come out, every time a major title is released nvidia will deliver a new driver a couple days BEFORE (not 4 weeks after once you've finished the game like AMD does) it launch to ensure maximum compatibility and performance.

Nvidia has a lot of technologies built in that AMD doesnt have, many of them in regards to VR.

Nvidia cards are an easy and fast re-sell once you're done with it and you want an upgrade you'll find someone to take if of your hands quickly where as an AMD card is a tuffer sell because nobody really want them if they can avoid AMD they will, for the aforementioned reasons.

-Nvidia don't sponsoring titles doesnt really have an effect on the finished product as whether it's an Amd sponsored game or an Nvidia sponsored the other company usually releases drivers closing the performance gap. Also I wouldn't consider Gameworks titles a big plus as said features tend to gimp performance on both amd and Nvidia cards just to provide a slight visual upgrade.

-"Alot more energy efficient, which in turn makes them last longer before they fail" 

Where'd you pull that from? People still have functioning cards from the early 2000's from company's that don't even exist anymore. There's no evidence that either company's card last longer so don't make such a claim. What's more important is long term driver support which both company's provide from what I can tell.

-Both company's provide launch day drivers. Amd does not provide them 4 weeks after like you imply. Both Nvidia and amd constantly release drivers for games that are already on the market to improve stability and performance. 

-current Amd cards may actually be easier to sell due to their better compute performance which is useful in applications outside of gaming.

As said before ignore the "Nvidia" or "Amd" sticker on the box and choose the best performance you can get for your money as both company's offer a very similar experience overall

1 hour ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

I challenge the statement in regards to VR, as AMD drivers tend to be far more stable for VR, especially for Oculus owners. Being a member of the Oculus forums, there are even recommended NVIDIA driver releases to stick to due to this problem.

As for everything else you said, it becomes a bit more subjective.

As someone who runs and recommends both depending on price, it really all comes down to just that, price.

I used to see graphics cards overheat and die long before their times maybe a decade ago, but I have yet to see that happen in more recent times. Maybe I am just lucky, or maybe I just have proper cooling in my builds. I personally have been running AMD graphics cards exclusively since the HD 5000 series and never had one overheat by the time I wanted to upgrade. I also haven't seen an NVIDIA card overheat either, with the exception of my old Geforce 7800GTX 256mb, but that was also back in 2005. I don't believe that counts :).

As for the value proposition? If you are going high end, I would go for NVIDIA exclusively. I cannot recommend Vega as they are overpriced for the performance you get, especially now that we are seeing GTX 1080s for sub $500.

For the high end - mid range segment, It's an identical split between the RX 580 / GTX 1060. Both are amazing cards and are within 5% performance of each other in games.

For lower mid range, I would recommend the GTX 1050ti.

Overall, feature sets and stability are identical, with the exception of VR. It all comes down to price and performance for the games that you play.

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

Get what ever is best value to you at the time of purchase. Do your own research, when it comes to gpus and forums there is always going to be bias and brand loyalty ( on both sides ) from members which will not help anything

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

41 minutes ago, C2HWarrior said:

- Also I wouldn't consider Gameworks titles a big plus as said features tend to gimp performance on both amd and Nvidia cards just to provide a slight visual upgrade.

-"Alot more energy efficient, which in turn makes them last longer before they fail" 

Where'd you pull that from? People still have functioning cards from the early 2000's from company's that don't even exist anymore. There's no evidence that either company's card last longer so don't make such a claim. What's more important is long term driver support which both company's provide from what I can tell.

- Yeah it's a well know fact that increased graphics details is a bad thing...what if they hurt performance? FINE...don't turn all of them on for now...in 3 or 4 years when you go back and play that game again with a newer graphics card you'll be able to crank em all up and it will look nice and you'll be glad they've baked them in...i don't get that kind of comments...YES improved visuals hurt performance, always did, always will...never ppl complained about it...now they do, where is this world going

- Yeah it's a well known fact that the more power a chip pull the higher heat output the sooner the device will fail...this ain't pulled out my ass, this is SCIENCE, it's a FACT, been well known for years. get real!

41 minutes ago, Jon Jon said:

I challenge the statement in regards to VR, as AMD drivers tend to be far more stable for VR, especially for Oculus owners. Being a member of the Oculus forums, there are even recommended NVIDIA driver releases to stick to due to this problem.

i have a Rift myself and i play all kind of games on it and i keep my drivers up to date all the time a new one comes out i install right away never had any issues and performance is absolutely lovely and flawless across the board it's been rock solid stable and my card can do simultaneous multi-projection which makes it not have to do the geometry calculations twice for each frames which makes it perform 30 to 40% better than my friend's Vega 64 which is randomly crashing and exibiting odd behaviors in a multitude of titles we play togheter...so go figure.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

• Is NVIDIA best value for money? - Yes. They're usually priced higher than AMD but that higher price comes with higher performance.
  • Does NVIDIA cards last longer than AMD? - No. It depends on what conditions you're using them. If you run a GPU with high temperatures while in load, ofcourse it's gonna lose lifetime.
  • Does NVIDIA cards offer anything extra which can't be offered by AMD? - Yes. PhysX, nVidia HBAO+ (better ambient occlusion), G-Sync, nVidia PCSS (Percentage Close Soft Shadows) which makes shadows look better, and TXAA, a nVidia GPUs only Anti-Aliasing technology.

4 hours ago, Hiten Das said:

So in general it goes like this.

Nvidia is going to give you more graphical horse-power if you are willing to spend the money, but AMD does a good job at winning the the Price/Performance Ratio.

The cards should last comparatively long... unless you are talking about future proofing and in that case a high end Nvidia would have the edge.

Nvidia cards do have things like Shadowplay that let you record and stream your gaming with practically no FPS penalty. Nvidia also has their own technologies for anti-aliasing, hairworks, physics, etc that can give them some pretty nice visual and performance based advantages in those titles. Gsync is also an advantage as it is better than Freesync, but does come with a hefty cost vs freesync being mostly free.

So if you are looking for value then AMD might be your better choice, but if you are looking for best performance for a certain range then Nvidia might be your best bet.

That being said the 1060/1070 are pretty well rounded cards and the performance/price on these are not too far off the amd offerings... then again with gpu prices still not in normal ranges most of this goes out the window.

1 minute ago, Adrian98765 said:
  • Is NVIDIA best value for money? - Yes. They're usually priced higher than AMD but that higher price comes with higher performance.
  • Does NVIDIA cards last longer than AMD? - No. It depends on what conditions you're using them. If you run a GPU with high temperatures while in load, ofcourse it's gonna lose lifetime.
  • Does NVIDIA cards offer anything extra which can't be offered by AMD? - Yes. PhysX, nVidia HBAO+ (better ambient occlusion), G-Sync, nVidia PCSS (Percentage Close Soft Shadows) which makes shadows look better, and TXAA, a nVidia GPUs only Anti-Aliasing technology.

- It's easier to run a GPU at lower temps when it pulls only 60% of the power of the competition...

- You forgot MFAA :D

12 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

- Yeah it's a well known fact that the more power a chip pull the higher heat output the sooner the device will fail...this ain't pulled out my ass, this is SCIENCE, it's a FACT, been well known for years. get real!

That would matter if GPU's weren't incredibly stable and didn't become obsolete long before they have the opportunity to fail.

You sound like a fanboy.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

6 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

That would matter if GPU's weren't incredibly stable and didn't become obsolete long before they have the opportunity to fail.

You sound like a fanboy.

?? there are plenty of GPU's that fails...what you say is true for CPU's in general but when it comes to graphics cards just look that sub forum we get people everyday coming here ''is my GPU dead'' ''is my graphics card dying'' ''getting artefacts, GPU going out'' etc...there are PLENTY of people that have their cards fail prematurely due to heat and power consumption...a GPU is a big hot power hungry device and it will go out soon or later...what you say is IMHO largely untrue.

- I'm not an nvidia fanboy i'm an AMD hater...i hate AMD with a passion because personally in the past they havn't served me up well at all...they fckd me up multiple times...and personally i think they are the reason for the lack of inovation and competition because they are a team of drunken monkey that can't pull their asses high enough to produce something potent...i mean, if you can't do it pull the plug and someone else will come up and do it...''we need AMD for competition'' well no, AMD has proven to be the inferior option times and times again we need them to srew off so something better replaces it and humanity will strive for inovation once again.

i don't think nvidia is particularily that great even though they bring interesting advance to the forefront, but i do think AMD is actually pretty bad and should blow up and die.

1. Not really

2. Not really

3. GPU Physx and some proprietary effects in Gimpworks library like VXAO, FLEX, VXGI.

3 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

i hate AMD with a passion

Hacked by Zmeul? JK :P

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

?? there are plenty of GPU's that fails...what you say is true for CPU's in general but when it comes to graphics cards just look that sub forum we get people everyday coming here ''is my GPU dead'' ''is my graphics card dying'' ''getting artefacts, GPU going out'' etc...there are PLENTY of people that have their cards fail prematurely due to heat and power consumption

Not really.  I'm on here every day and I run a computer repair business.  GPU's are the rarest things to fail, second to CPU's.  That's excluding physical damage from drops and stuff of course.

- I'm not an nvidia fanboy i'm an AMD hater

Making your opinion highly biased and unreliable.

The rest of your response was incredibly petty and sad.  You sound like a teenager without any understanding of economics.

First of all, no. Right now, for PURE GAMING, Nvidia is better. Period. It offers similar Performance, while having a MUCH lower power consumption.
Example, GTX 1080 vs. Vega 64. The Performance, a GTX 1080 can do with 180 Watt, Vega 64 needs 300 Watt for.

However, there are of course multiple factors you can consider. Which games do YOU play (and is AMD better on those)? There are always games that run better with AMD; and some that run better with Nvidia. Some more with Nvidia tho.

Then if you have a Freesync Monitor or G-Sync. Do you save a LOT of Money with Freesync? If you only save 50 bucks? Not worth. Over the years, these 100+w difference in Power consumption can eliminate your 50 bucks saving. Plus, higher power consumption = more heatoutput = more heat in your room during summer = more sweat dripping down your butt while gaming.

etc etc.

AMD does have advantages with their architecture, mainly some professional applications.

- Nvidia is best value for Money. You do pay similar, or slightly less for the Nvidia model with a simliar performance (Vegas are usually still a bit more expensive, due to HBM2, not perfectly recovered from Mining, whatever), but with a lower Power consumption. This one point is turning the value to Nvidia's side.

- Last longer = untill they die? No.It's pure random, when a GPU dies. usually, they can run easy for 5-10 years. Except if you need to Overclock it hard for your ego (not that you will ever see 3% more fps). Much better to Undervolt with a moderate OC, for a good Power efficiency vs. Performance sweetspot.

- No. Lower power consumption with same performance (can be also less heat output, less noise etc), g-Sync support instead Freesync.

One point to mention: Nvidia does have the cake when it comes to Indie games. Where AMD often struggles with performance, and has MUCH worse fps than Nvidia. These "fluctuations" are sometimes big with AMD, mostly consistent with Nvidia.

An Example was No Man's Sky: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZJXV4dzoCE

Or Redout: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhW_puDIaaM

Usually tho, you won't have much issues there. But exceptions like this can happen from time to time. It's worth mentioning, but sounds worse than it is - since in the far majority of all games, these Issues won't occur this much.

G-Sync vs. Freesync: G-Sync is better. On a technical standpoint.

G-Sync has stricter guidelines, and has an overall better quality. it works down to 1 fps (frame doubling) always, it works great with holding high framerates (stable 142 fps on a 144 Hz Monitor), while for Freesync it's up to the Manufacturer, how good they implement it. Some models will start tearing with 142 Hz, despite beeing in Freesync Range.

One Asus has a Range of 55-90 Hz as a 144 Hz Monitor (you need some hacks/mods to make this better), and most Models start at 35-48 Hz - some can use LFC (which is basicly frame doubling below the min-Range).
Overall the difference is small, but yea.

Also, it's not always more expensive. Thanks to Mining, Vega prices did skyroket much more, than nvidia. Vega 64 was at 900€, while GTX 1080 remained at 600-650 at some point. In that time, GTX 1080 + G-Sync monitor did save you over 150€ over the Vega 64 + Freesync combo.

And if Vega is still 100-150€ more expensive, you're not saving money overall by going Freesync vs. G-Sync.

Source: 

Edit: Since you want to buy a GPU, i think the following questions for you will help you much more, than such general questions:

1. What's your PC System right now? (including current GPU. And don't forget the PSU and Case - as it needs to fit in there, an the PSU needs to be good enough)

2. What Monitor do you use? Resoultion + Hz. Freesync or maybe G-Sync available? (If you already have a Freesync Monitor, this is a STRONG Argument for an AMD Card. Power consumption aside, having a variable refresh rate can make a HUGE difference in smoothness / overall Gameplay experience.

3. Do you plan on buying another Monitor / Monitor Upgrade in the near future? If yes, what specs are you looking for? 4k 60 Hz for high sharpness? 1080p/1440p + 144 Hz for the extra smoothness?

4. What Games do you play? On what settings should they run at least, and how much fps do you Wish/expect there to have "enough fps" for your personal taste?

5. Budget?

1 hour ago, Adrian98765 said:

- Physx run on CPU except some GPU Physx which you rarely found on games nowadays. 
- The different between HBAO vs HBAO+ vs HDAO(optimized for AMD) is very small and most of the time you can't even tell the different. 

- AMD got Contact Hardening Shadow (CHS) for better shadow.

- TXAA? Meh, TAA is the preferred AA nowadays and it run nicely on both brand. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

NVIDIA comes with CUDA cores – if you're using an application that benefits from those (like raytracers) there's no real way around NVIDIA chips. If you want max performance there's currently no way around NVIDIA. AMD's flagship Vega 64 costs as much as a 1080ti with 1080 performance. Imho no point in getting a Vega-based card either. And then there's the Titan V for scientists and deep learning folks – nothing on AMD's side to compete with that. Looking at midrange GPUs and the picture changes. A RX580 is a perfect opponent for a 1060. A RX570 competes well against a 1050 and even the 1060s with less memory in some scenarios.

Some games benefit from NVIDIA chips while others (though more rarely as it seems) benefit from AMD chips. 

Bottom line: base your decision on your use case and not a brand. People going shopping by brands only are stupid and have no f-ing clue what they're doing.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

TLDR: it comes down to preference and requirements. if one was factually, universally better than the other, the other wouldnt exist.