Anything I should know before I get a Nintendo Switch?

Cyberspirit

Hey, I think it's finally time for me to give in and, get a Switch but, before buying I thought I'd ask around here first.

So, here's a couple things I was curious about:

-Is there anything else I should get alongside with the Switch? (I already have an SD card)

-Are there any major flaws I should know about?

I've heard that the dock scratched some screens at the start, have they fix that yet?

-How well does the Switch hold up performance-wise? Are there any slowdowns in games or, in menus?

Never owned a handheld console before so, I'm not sure how well do they hold up.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

I'd recommend you get a screen protector, the dock scuffed my screen. I'd also recommend that you get breath of the wild I really enjoyed it and cant put it down since I started playing it! The only slowdowns that i have experienced are when playing more intensive games in TV mode, but only in this mode. When in handheld mode I have not noticed any slowdowns.

I do recommend the switch, great console!

Ryan

Natsuki Is Best Girl

I also recommend getting a screen protector to avoid scuffing your screen when switching to handheld mode. I would also recommend getting a pro controller ( I know that it is pretty expensive though) it is much more comfortable than the joy cons.

53 minutes ago, Natsuki Is Best Girl said:

I'd recommend you get a screen protector, the dock scuffed my screen. I'd also recommend that you get breath of the wild I really enjoyed it and cant put it down since I started playing it! 

I do recommend the switch, great console!

Ryan

I think the first game I'd pick up is Splatoon 2 just because I've been watching some streams of it and it seems super fun. And I love the art style. <3

After that I'd probably get BoTw and Mario odyssey. :)

The only slowdowns that i have experienced are when playing more intensive games in TV mode, but only in this mode. When in handheld mode I have not noticed any slowdowns.

Does the Switch scale resolution up to like 1080p in TV/docked mode? 

That'd be nice. 

54 minutes ago, Abed said:

I also recommend getting a screen protector to avoid scuffing your screen when switching to handheld mode. I would also recommend getting a pro controller ( I know that it is pretty expensive though) it is much more comfortable than the joy cons.

36 minutes ago, Lazaro said:

Yeah screen protector and pro controller are a must.

Thanks I'll grab those as well then. :)

Ps: Does the dock have a lan port on it or, do you have to use WiFi all the time?

Get a glass screen protector, and if you are not a mobile kinda guy, get the Pro Controller. If you have adult sized hands and want to play on the go, get a grip case. It will make your hands hurt far less.

3 hours ago, Cyberspirit said:

Does the Switch scale resolution up to like 1080p in TV/docked mode?

Ps: Does the dock have a lan port on it or, do you have to use WiFi all the time?

Yes, it runs at 1080p in docked mode. No it does not have a LAN/Ethernet port. It doesn't really need it though. It doesn't have the atrocious WiFi the Wii and Wii U had. It's even dual band. As long as you have decent WiFi, it's fine. It scores about the same on 5GHz as my hardwired PS4 does on download (around 35Mbps) and actually a little faster on upload (7 vs 5). Of course, Steam and Origin on my main PCs can fully saturate my 100 down 10 up connection.

27 minutes ago, B16CXHatch said:

Get a glass screen protector, and if you are not a mobile kinda guy, get the Pro Controller. If you have adult sized hands and want to play on the go, get a grip case. It will make your hands hurt far less.

Wow so it's not comfortable in handheld mode by default? I can play my New 3DS XL for hours and it's fine but the Switch is a pain?

2 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Wow so it's not comfortable in handheld mode by default? I can play my New 3DS XL for hours and it's fine but the Switch is a pain?

If a 3DS is comfortable for you, then I reckon a Switch would be too. Without a grip case, I can't hold the 3DS in a way where I feel like I have a good grip and can reach all the buttons without hurting my hands. I have grip cases for my 3DS, Switch and Vita. Though, I'll be honest, the one for the Switch only helps a little. Nobody makes one with larger grips like they do for the 3DS and Vita. I guess cause it's already big. It's better than nothing though. For me, comfort is one of the biggest reasons my Switch rarely leaves its dock. The Pro controller is so much more comfortable. Also, 43" screen.

10 hours ago, Cyberspirit said:
  1. -Is there anything else I should get alongside with the Switch? (I already have an SD card)
  2. -Are there any major flaws I should know about?
  3.   I've heard that the dock scratched some screens at the start, have they fix that yet?
  4. -How well does the Switch hold up performance-wise? Are there any slowdowns in games or, in menus?
  5.  Never owned a handheld console before so, I'm not sure how well do they hold up.
  1. Yes, either the Switch PRO Controller or, if you already own another console, an 8bitdo Dongle
  2. be wary of scratching the screen so a screen protector is a must. And there is some other issue people talking about (back plastic breaking)
  3. Its called a Screen Protector :) That protects the Original Screen Material from Scratches. They aren't expensive and a must because of the design...
  4. depends on the Game, what you want and so on. The way you asked nobody can answer that for any console. With some games there are, with some there are not. 
  5. Well, around 1h Battery Life, as far as I'm aware and the design of the analogue sticks is kinda moronic because its not symetrical like the WiiU pad was. And the Switch is a bit smaller than the WiiU Gamepad...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

There are pretty decent battery boost packs you can consider getting that give you more power on the go.  This is the one I use and like alot adds another 3 to 4 hours, has a more stable kickstand, and a place to carry two more games.

https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-6500mAh-Antank-Portable-Extended/dp/B073DYLBXH/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1532257569&sr=8-6&keywords=nintendo+switch+battery

Yes, it runs at 1080p in docked mode. No it does not have a LAN/Ethernet port. It doesn't really need it though. It doesn't have the atrocious WiFi the Wii and Wii U had. It's even dual band. As long as you have decent WiFi, it's fine. It scores about the same on 5GHz as my hardwired PS4 does on download (around 35Mbps) and actually a little faster on upload (7 vs 5). Of course, Steam and Origin on my main PCs can fully saturate my 100 down 10 up connection.

Oh, sweet, didn't know it could do 1080p. The lack of an Ethernet port is a bit of a bummer but, if the WiFi is good then, I guess it's fine.

2 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:
  1. Yes, either the Switch PRO Controller or, if you already own another console, an 8bitdo Dongle
  2. be wary of scratching the screen so a screen protector is a must. And there is some other issue people talking about (back plastic breaking)
  3. Its called a Screen Protector :) That protects the Original Screen Material from Scratches. They aren't expensive and a must because of the design...
  4. depends on the Game, what you want and so on. The way you asked nobody can answer that for any console. With some games there are, with some there are not. 
  5. Well, around 1h Battery Life, as far as I'm aware and the design of the analogue sticks is kinda moronic because its not symetrical like the WiiU pad was. And the Switch is a bit smaller than the WiiU Gamepad...

Maybe I'll pick up a third-party dock down the road if the stock one is causing problems.

12 minutes ago, LordOTaco said:

There are pretty decent battery boost packs you can consider getting that give you more power on the go.  This is the one I use and like alot adds another 3 to 4 hours, has a more stable kickstand, and a place to carry two more games.

https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-6500mAh-Antank-Portable-Extended/dp/B073DYLBXH/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1532257569&sr=8-6&keywords=nintendo+switch+battery

Oh, nice. thanks for the recommendation. :)

Note, to help against screen getting scuffed when docked even with screen protector.  I usually take a screen cloth and lay it over the side the screen faces when docked.  No scuff nor scratches yet.

Another note, the D-Pad on a Pro controller is a hit and miss deal.  You may get a good one that don't confuse up the inputs or one that does.  If it does, research up the tape method.  Though, mostly depends if you do plat-formers much.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

4 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Note, to help against screen getting scuffed when docked even with screen protector.  I usually take a screen cloth and lay it over the side the screen faces when docked.  No scuff nor scratches yet.

Another note, the D-Pad on a Pro controller is a hit and miss deal.  You may get a good one that don't confuse up the inputs or one that does.  If it does, research up the tape method.  Though, mostly depends if you do plat-formers much.

Huh, has the controller issue been addressed and fixed or, did they just ignore it?

As for the dock, I think I'll do the same except try to do it permanently.

14 hours ago, Cyberspirit said:

Huh, has the controller issue been addressed and fixed or, did they just ignore it?

As for the dock, I think I'll do the same except try to do it permanently.

By what I read around on other forums and threads, individuals are still having issues even with some of the later models of the Pro controller.  Hence, the hit and miss deal.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

2 hours ago, Ithanul said:

By what I read around on other forums and threads, individuals are still having issues even with some of the later models of the Pro controller.  Hence, the hit and miss deal.

That's a shame. I guess I'll just hope that I get a good one.

Thanks for the info. :)

On 21/07/2018 at 6:42 PM, Cyberspirit said:

Hey, I think it's finally time for me to give in and, get a Switch but, before buying I thought I'd ask around here first.

So, here's a couple things I was curious about:

-Is there anything else I should get alongside with the Switch? (I already have an SD card)

-Are there any major flaws I should know about?

I've heard that the dock scratched some screens at the start, have they fix that yet?

-How well does the Switch hold up performance-wise? Are there any slowdowns in games or, in menus?

Never owned a handheld console before so, I'm not sure how well do they hold up.

beware of the charging port it scratch the screen try to put a cloat or a anti scratch screen protector

Something most people wont tell you is that the joycons are trash for intense gaming. They served me well (in handheld) playing Zelda for 100+ hours. That game isn't that precise though, once you play something like a fighting game, bullet hell, roguelike, anything that require precise gameplay, they suffer. The act of holding the thing up requires a lot of re positioning to say, move the right stick around 360.

The first game I ever played was Megaman X, and I've played it ever since. I noticed it extra hard playing that game in handheld, it just doesn't work. 

Also switch has weird support for random bluetooth controllers, so if you have some of those, try em out. And as others have said, the Pro controller is the way to go. I prefer it for 2D games, while Xbone is my goto for 3D

5 hours ago, DaltonM said:

Something most people wont tell you is that the joycons are trash for intense gaming. They served me well (in handheld) playing Zelda for 100+ hours. That game isn't that precise though, once you play something like a fighting game, bullet hell, roguelike, anything that require precise gameplay, they suffer. The act of holding the thing up requires a lot of re positioning to say, move the right stick around 360.

The first game I ever played was Megaman X, and I've played it ever since. I noticed it extra hard playing that game in handheld, it just doesn't work. 

I just got my Switch yesterday so, I didn't have much time to play around with it but, so far the Joycons seem pretty nice though a bit small for sure.

I will pick up a pro controller in a couple days for sure because the included one isn't the most comfortable.

Also switch has weird support for random bluetooth controllers, so if you have some of those, try em out. And as others have said, the Pro controller is the way to go. I prefer it for 2D games, while Xbone is my goto for 3D

How did you manage to connect an Xbox controller? Mine doesn't seem to work.

On 7/22/2018 at 4:31 AM, Cyberspirit said:

Maybe I'll pick up a third-party dock down the road if the stock one is causing problems.

I suggest avoiding third party accessories because Nintendo didn't properly implement USB Type C. You could actually brick your Switch if you say, get the wrong charger.

14 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I suggest avoiding third party accessories because Nintendo didn't properly implement USB Type C. You could actually brick your Switch if you say, get the wrong charger.

Ouch, does that mean that the USB to Ethernet dongle I ordered could mess it up too?

6 hours ago, Cyberspirit said:

Ouch, does that mean that the USB to Ethernet dongle I ordered could mess it up too?

Since it's not a power delivery thing, probably not. But I wouldn't expect it to work either.

EDIT: The thing is, I don't expect Nintendo to have implemented anything USB related other than what the system can already do. In other words, treat it as a proprietary port that just happens to use USB.

7 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Since it's not a power delivery thing, probably not. But I wouldn't expect it to work either.

EDIT: The thing is, I don't expect Nintendo to have implemented anything USB related other than what the system can already do. In other words, treat it as a proprietary port that just happens to use USB.

Well, I guess I'll find out when it arrives. Thanks for the info. :)