HD 599 worth it for videogames/spotify?

whoisjaya
Go to solution Solved by Tz000,
22 hours ago, Jonas_2909 said:

Alright, thanks. But my question is as to if Spotify/video games would compress the sound to a degree where they wouldn't be worth it anymore... :P

They look like awesome value to me, thanks for showing! :D

To be honest, I don't really want to become and audiophile, but apart from that my father and me are still discussing frequency ranges of online streaming services(in this case Spotify) and if you'd be able to utilise headphones with such a frequency range in said services and video games.

So my father's right about the compression rendering headphones of that quality redundant?

Videos games often has pretty good audio tracks from what iv heard, which sound great with my HD558's and HD6XX (HD650).  In CS:GO the accuracy of the positional audio (footsteps etc) is almost unfair in my opinion at least with the 558's the amount of times iv been called a "hacker" because you can pre-fire angles so easily knowing exactly when there going to round a corner etc. the 6XX are more for music / videos but still work flawlessly in games. 

Compressed videos / music from Youtube or Spotify (Non Premium) at 128 kb/s MP3 will still sound fine just not as good as it they could..  and being better headphones you will actually be able to hear a lot of the imperfections and compression especially if you try out some higher end sources and go back to the bad ones... your father is probably just stating that its not quite worth the price tag if your not going to utilize them with proper audio / media files so make sure you do its worth it! haha   

When you choose to get a premium subscription (320 kb's + ), listen to a proper produced CD (44.1  16bit), plug them into a DAC / AMP ( Great starter DAC + AMP combo is the "FX-Audio DAC X6" its about $65.00 USD )  the headphones will truly show their potential.  If you or your father has a decent CD Player and Amplifier in the house I would recommend getting the HD 558, 559 , 598 ,599  and trying them with your on board sound with a youtube or spotify track, then take them to the CD player (with a proper CD!) + AMP and plug them in there and you will hear a massive difference.

Spotify premium is quite good I have used it for the last few months and have no complaints for everyday listening it sounds great and for $7-10/month its good value IMO. I have tried Tidal Hifi & Deezer Hifi @ 1411kb's (16bit 44.1 FLAC ) and they are great as well but upwards of $20.00/month which at that I would rather just listen to my CD's / Records.

To summarize, the headphones will be worth it regardless of source.. and it gives you the potential to upgrade/try better sources in the future and be able to actually enjoy the premium sources with your good headphones.

Cheers.

Hey, guys!

I am planning on buying a pair of Sennheiser HD599, as I finally want to have some higher-end headphones. My father thinks they're not worth it, though, as Spotify and/or video games wouldn't make use of the frequency range(12 to 38500Hz), anyways, while I think they are.

Who's right? Thanks in advance... :P

Make sure to tag and/or quote people so they get notified... :P:D 

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage
                                                                                                     AOC C24G1 / BenQ GW2270H(rarely overclocked to 87Hz :P )
                                                                               Razer Blackwidow / Redragon Kumara / Logitech G Pro Wiress / Sennheiser HD 559

Microsoft LifeCam Studio / Tonor BM700 microphone

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 / Canon EOS 80D

#PCMasterrace

If you're into the shit-brown Noctua looks I'd go for it

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

If you're comfortable spending the money on them they're awesome headphones. Otherwise the HD 559 is a lot cheaper and is still awesome sound

That's an F in the profile pic

1 minute ago, Froody129 said:

If you're comfortable spending the money on them they're awesome headphones. Otherwise the HD 559 is a lot cheaper and is still awesome sound

Alright, thanks. But my question is as to if Spotify/video games would compress the sound to a degree where they wouldn't be worth it anymore... :P

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage

#PCMasterrace

22 minutes ago, Jonas_2909 said:

Just buy some like Superlux 668Bs and you'll probably be fine.

If you're going to become an audiophile you're likely going to need a DAC anyways.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

On 7/17/2018 at 9:18 PM, Streetguru said:

If you're going to become an audiophile you're likely going to need a DAC anyways.

To be honest, I don't really want to become an audiophile, but apart from that my father and me are still discussing frequency ranges of online streaming services(in this case Spotify) and if you'd be able to utilise headphones with such a frequency range in said services and video games.

Edited by Jonas_2909
typo

My gear:

#PCMasterrace

7 minutes ago, Jonas_2909 said:

To be honest, I don't really want to become and audiophile, but apart from that my father and me are still discussing frequency ranges of online streaming services(in this case Spotify) and if you'd be able to utilise headphones with such a frequency range in said services and video games.

More than likely overkill for music streaming, probably need to use more like FLAC files

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

More than likely overkill for music streaming, probably need to use more like FLAC files

So my father's right about the compression rendering headphones of that quality redundant?

My gear:

#PCMasterrace

5 minutes ago, Jonas_2909 said:

There's probably still some benefit from higher end headphones, especially with a DAC, but I don't think the $30,000 headphones will make streamed music much better.

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Jonas_2909 said:

as Spotify and/or video games wouldn't make use of the frequency range(12 to 38500Hz), anyways, while I think they are.

Those advertised frequency ranges measured with likely +/- 30dB tolerance are anyway meaningless.

Also human hearing stops at 20kHz.

Anyway HD599 should certainly have nice sound.

Such shame mechanical design is designed for fashionability/look.

After having used last millennium design HD590 as first full size headphones for decade thought HD595 would be as well designed.

That illusion lasted 2½ years... HD590's thin cable was lot better weakness than that fashion design.

1 hour ago, Jonas_2909 said:

Superlux makes some models with gives superb "bang per buck".

Myself bought Superlux HD-330 just for experiment about five years ago, and it certainly performs very nicely for price.

Likely only few gaming headsets (not made by gaming brands) would be better in gaming.

Too bad stock ear pads of it are clearly designed for smaller measures of Asian.

If you have the money for it go with the 599. Otherwise as mentioned by the posts above go with the 559 or Superlux 668Bs with pad replacements; though I'd still would recommend the getting 559. You do not have to be an audiophile to enjoy good headphones; any one of these would open your eyes (or in this case your ears) on how terrible the majority of gaming headsets and generic earbuds are even with streamed music.

9 hours ago, Jonas_2909 said:

Most people can't hear over 20k Hz and very often not much over 15k Hz. Spotify Premium has great sound and I would definitely do with good headphones if you're comfortable spending the money. 

You can of course go the whole vinyl disk and amps and everything but it's not necessary 

That's an F in the profile pic

11 hours ago, Streetguru said:

Errrrrr....no! These things are treble nukes. I hate these things. I hate em' Sennheisers all the way. 

24 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

Errrrrr....no! These things are treble nukes. I hate these things. I hate em' Sennheisers all the way. 

The superlux headphones worked fine for me.

Spoiler

3 hours ago, kokakolia said:

Treble nukes..... with Sennheisers......

Oh you mean the Superlux? The 668Bs dont have that problem; you must be thinking of the 681s which indeed are very harsh and very fatiguing to listen to.

Edited by Drake Mallard

Videos games often has pretty good audio tracks from what iv heard, which sound great with my HD558's and HD6XX (HD650).  In CS:GO the accuracy of the positional audio (footsteps etc) is almost unfair in my opinion at least with the 558's the amount of times iv been called a "hacker" because you can pre-fire angles so easily knowing exactly when there going to round a corner etc. the 6XX are more for music / videos but still work flawlessly in games. 

Compressed videos / music from Youtube or Spotify (Non Premium) at 128 kb/s MP3 will still sound fine just not as good as it they could..  and being better headphones you will actually be able to hear a lot of the imperfections and compression especially if you try out some higher end sources and go back to the bad ones... your father is probably just stating that its not quite worth the price tag if your not going to utilize them with proper audio / media files so make sure you do its worth it! haha   

When you choose to get a premium subscription (320 kb's + ), listen to a proper produced CD (44.1  16bit), plug them into a DAC / AMP ( Great starter DAC + AMP combo is the "FX-Audio DAC X6" its about $65.00 USD )  the headphones will truly show their potential.  If you or your father has a decent CD Player and Amplifier in the house I would recommend getting the HD 558, 559 , 598 ,599  and trying them with your on board sound with a youtube or spotify track, then take them to the CD player (with a proper CD!) + AMP and plug them in there and you will hear a massive difference.

Spotify premium is quite good I have used it for the last few months and have no complaints for everyday listening it sounds great and for $7-10/month its good value IMO. I have tried Tidal Hifi & Deezer Hifi @ 1411kb's (16bit 44.1 FLAC ) and they are great as well but upwards of $20.00/month which at that I would rather just listen to my CD's / Records.

To summarize, the headphones will be worth it regardless of source.. and it gives you the potential to upgrade/try better sources in the future and be able to actually enjoy the premium sources with your good headphones.

Cheers.