Wifi Problem in my house buy a new router or not??

Lyshan

I have a problem in my house right now my router wifi has a very low speed when am outside my room but when am at the right beside of the router the internet speed is just fine. I tested it with ethernet port if works fine my internet speed is 100/20 if i use 2.4ghz i only give about 20mbps, in 5ghz i give also 20mbps but if i stay in the room i work fine. Really need help what should i do but a NEW ROUTER?? If i buy a new router my budget is $100-150 

do you live in a crowded location ? maybe there are many wifi's and the channels are crowded, then you should manualy change channel to some least used, after investigating it :)

i use the wifi analyzer  there is only 1 other wifi is near  also am just using the router that the internet provider gave us

30 minutes ago, Lyshan said:

i use the wifi analyzer  there is only 1 other wifi is near  also am just using the router that the internet provider gave us

so you can buy better router with better antenas, should help

On 17/7/2018 at 8:21 AM, Lyshan said:

I have a problem in my house right now my router wifi has a very low speed when am outside my room but when am at the right beside of the router the internet speed is just fine. I tested it with ethernet port if works fine my internet speed is 100/20 if i use 2.4ghz i only give about 20mbps, in 5ghz i give also 20mbps but if i stay in the room i work fine. Really need help what should i do but a NEW ROUTER?? If i buy a new router my budget is $100-150 

What's the walls and floors in your house made of?

Buying a new router might not help much, maybe what you need is repeaters to help distribute the signal.

A quite common problem around here. Ie: In my parents house, which is only ~65m2 on each floor. I installed a fairly powerful router and even adjusted the transmit power beyond spec. Still it couldn't provide my dads imac just 5m away on the same floor with a proper signal and had issues penetrating the floor to upstairs.

Nope....Just nope.

20 minutes ago, idiocracy said:

Buying a new router might not help much, maybe what you need is repeaters to help distribute the signal.

To add to that, I've turned a Wireless repeater into a Wireless Access Point so if you have any other ethernet ports around the house or cables going to other areas of the house I'd recommend looking at an Access Point, they're quite cheap as well, usually less than half of your budget.

On 7/17/2018 at 12:43 AM, wojtepanik said:

do you live in a crowded location ? maybe there are many wifi's and the channels are crowded, then you should manualy change channel to some least used, after investigating it :)

twice this week so far. ISP modem/wifi/router was on channel 11, no speed. Moved to channel 1 and boom full speed.

2 hours ago, intertan said:

twice this week so far. ISP modem/wifi/router was on channel 11, no speed. Moved to channel 1 and boom full speed.

Nice, it probably default to Auto channel which from my understanding is usually not very good. Better to analyze the surrounding signals and find the best yourself.

On 7/17/2018 at 2:21 AM, Lyshan said:

On 7/17/2018 at 2:45 AM, Lyshan said:

What kind of Internet do you have? Your provider most likely gave you a modem/router combo, so you have to decide if your going to try to put the combo in to bridge mode to use just as a modem or to buy a modem as well. Also whats the model of your modem/router? Secondly like @idiocracy asked, how many walls, what are they made out of? Need to know materials so we can set expectations on how WiFi should behave in your home. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.