What is the worst computer damage you have encountered?

In this thread, the following is discussed and shown:

• Computer damage
  • Laptop damage
  • Phone damage

*these topics can be changed without notice*

Show us how bad some users take care of their device, or the random little things you have seen.

Please keep in mind the Community Standards when you share.

Every week, give or take, a DOTW (Damage Of The Week) will be placed on top of the thread.

Without further ado, let us have a chuckle and be in awe at some of the damages.

Cheers.

Only scratches, broken keyboards & microfractures basically burning out the computer not letting it work anymore. I haven't seen anyone put a bomb in a computer or anything. 
Except on 2006 youtube with xbox 360s in the hands of the US Army. 

3 minutes ago, Pangea2017 said:

how bad some company's take care.

Lenovo support forgot to connect the second wlan antenna (minor mistake).

Microsoft and acer went on my blacklist (don't buy any hardware from them again) (design faults).

WLAN antenna is all right. Have had some of those before too, funnily enough with Lenovo and Dell.

Thanks for sharing.

8 molex to quad 8 pin for a devils 13 r9 290x

because he had a cheap chinese power supply that said "850w" but didnt have any more than a single 6 pin, so he presumed "hey, i have the wattage, ill just use molex instead"

he did not have the wattage

the little cluster of molex connectors caught fire and melted the cpu cooler fan, which basically sprayed flaming melted plastic all over the inside of the case

Whats funny is that besides the dead PSU and destroyed fan, the gpu still worked and nothing else was critically damaged, but the inside of the case and just about every single component in there was covered in soot and little burn marks from all that plastic burning and melting on things. Whole inside looked like someone took a can of black spraypaint to it.

After 12 hours of cleaning with a brush and alcohol, scraping off little bits of melted plastic, replacing the cooler entirely (because it was caked with melted plastic) and adding a proper power supply, it looked fine and worked fine.

I charged him 200$ for that, because he lied and said there was a short and the case needed cleaning.

I still have the power supply in my storage unit. As far as i know that system is still kicking for him today

Ghetto psu spitting smoke like a fog machine, and laptop psu catching fire. (I guess electrical fire is what scares me about pc's xD )

When I was 15 broke one of my cpu-cooler plastic screws (intel stock) and put a glass filled with old nokia bateries (to give weight)  lasted till I bought a new computer (more than a year) and that computer had the power buton striped so I felt like mc giver just turning on my computer with 2 wires XDD  

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

Rain damaged msi aio that my boss put next to the worker's entrance and the next day when it rained it was like linus wet damage laptop videos so I said well this is broken and stored on a shelf till my boss told me  if I've tried to fix it (2 weeks after) , Turned on and it was ok :P One of the things that I've learned on ltt is watah can be fatal to computers, but just if it shorts (if not it can dry and work like intended :D )

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

Someone spilled coffee on their work laptop and it seeped through the keyboard and soaked the main board and battery; safe to say that the laptop no longer worked. They were honest about it though they didn't pull the "It just stopped working"

This hapened on february, We dont know if it was us or the electrical company (it was us xD ) but someone bad mounted the neutral? cable and it fell (thats what i've been told) puting to our wires instead of 220 like 330v xD could you imagine? you dont need to I've got 3 videos , I put 1 here(I'm the only IT on this office but it was late and not on my work-time) 

Body count : 4 screens , 3 screen power bricks? , 2 printers , 2 ruters, 3 ups and a bunch of led lights from computers xD 

https://streamable.com/w9qbr

same video

VID-20180205-WA0005.mp4

Was tying a piece of floss to my 1060 while it was on (for GPU droop). Wasn't happy with the result so I used my metal pliers (PC still on) to cut it. Touched the board and sparks flew out and the PC turned off.

Nearly crapped myself but it still worked. Sold it to a miner at profit and realised later that thing was damaged because even my 1050ti was a better experience in regards to frame times. I shorted one of the PCIe solder points so I'm assuming inconsistent voltage. 

The other time I put a 680 DCu2 in a weird mobo and some blue smoke came out. Everything is still fine but I'm not trying that again :P

That's an F in the profile pic

8 hours ago, Tcrumpen said:

Someone spilled coffee on their work laptop and it seeped through the keyboard and soaked the main board and battery; safe to say that the laptop no longer worked. They were honest about it though they didn't pull the "It just stopped working"

Ahh, they went with the shit happens instead of it just happened. 

:P 

I am not gonna count stuff I saw online, that seems unfair.

But I once saw someone come into store with a the question "how much would it be to fix my laptop".

This was some thin and light laptop and it looked like somebody placed a bowling ball on top of it (while it was closed). The entire machine was bent, glass screen entirely cracked and I would be willing to bet the SSD inside was also bent to pieces.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I used to work at a place that refrubished decomisioned IT equipment here is a laptop that was sent to us once the label simply stated "byond economical repair"

Spoiler

IMG_2456.thumb.JPG.0f973b211de044f113d2d64f5854c902.JPG

I lurk a lot

26 minutes ago, peej said:

I used to work at a place that refrubished decomisioned IT equipment here is a laptop that was sent to us once the label simply stated "byond economical repair"

Hide contents

Is that the laptop? Damn...

1 hour ago, Random_User123 said:

Is that the laptop? Damn...

Yep! battery set on fire completly charred the thing so they sent it to use for "refubishment" at wich point we laughed at them and told them they where delusional

I lurk a lot

1 hour ago, peej said:

Hide contents

Well there's your problem

xhss9.jpg

On 7/16/2018 at 7:00 PM, Netivity said:

Computer damage

About 20 years ago I thought I'd better disconnect my PC during a thunderstorm.

As I was reaching behind my computer to pull the telephone cord from my 28.8 modem

lightning struck somewhere nearby and a golf ball sized lightning ball appeared around the phone cord where it was plugged into the modem.

If I had been a second faster it would have hit me too.

Fried my Creative all in one modem / answering machine / sound card and MB.

Now I have a UPS.

I also nuked the largest HD I had ever bought.

It was a Seagate 300MB for $320 CAD and I pulled the molex power without turning off the system.:$

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

I've repaired a computer from a spoiled kid once, pretty decent machine based on the 1150 socket (had a Z68 mobo from MSI, iirc) that was torn appart by the aforementioned kid armed with a large screwdriver.

Shame i have no pictures of it, i had to change the case, mobo (Aliexpress special Z77 from Gigabyte went in), CPU cooler and graphics card, everything else was salvageable. His father ended up taking the ownership of the computer for himself after i repaired it 

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

One of my friends at school thought it would be a good laugh to squirt my water bottle over my laptop. Still ran great but died a few months later. 

I think the worst I've seen in person was someone had removed the elastic band that drove the optical drive from a computer at school.  Luckily I just happened to have one on hand.  You never know when you'll need weird stuff like that xD

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, RorzNZ said:

One of my friends at school thought it would be a good laugh to squirt my water bottle over my laptop. Still ran great but died a few months later. 

one of your """"""""friends""""""""

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

1 minute ago, Chevy_Monsenhor said:

one of your """"""""friends""""""""

it was just a joke and we were young. He didn't know it would cause a lot of damage. 

Used PSU I bought that triggered the breaker in my room every time I flipped the back switch lol. Was for a crappy build that lasted me for more than 2 years though ^^. Sold the parts afterwards and threw the psu away.

My 2012 mbp has some huge dents in its frame but still works perfectly (most dents are from a bicycle crash where I had it in my backpack). For phone damage: I've lost one iPhone 4s where the screen just wouldn't turn on one day although I didn't do anything to it and I broke my 5s' camera when throwing it against a wall (multiple times. Don't ask.). My 7 is going strong though and hopefully lasts longer lol but I am not getting my hopes up haha.

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido