Move over Amazon, THIS is automation!

TechyBen

Fully robotic Warehouse with a pick n pack system for shopping. I love the little numatic shopping scanner at the end, why can't I have that in my local store. xD

Sadly, Linus cannot play racket games with these ones. :(

This seems to be automation done well IMO. Still staffed, and robots to the boring stuff that can be optimised with maths/programming.

[Official Ocado video]

Problem being, those things run on rails. Which is why a lot of the self driving external delivery is going drone/blimp. Because in the air, the computation/routing/delivery software and rules are "solved". On the roads, too much to crash into. :P

3 minutes ago, asus killer said:

now imagine self driving trucks delivering the goods to the warehouse, and self driving cars delivering the orders to the house. All electric powered by renewable energies. 

But the jerbs xD

37 minutes ago, asus killer said:

now imagine self driving trucks delivering the goods to the warehouse, and self driving cars delivering the orders to the house. All electric powered by renewable energies. 

36 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

But the jerbs xD

Yeah humans should just go extinct so the robots can deliver cheaply made shit to themselves. Ever hear the one about "making the weapons that will later be used to destroy you"?

How about this?

None of this stuff is really high tech or futuristic though. Its all just cost cutting lowest bidder type tech. Stuff accomplished in the 50s-80s like space flight and hypersonic planes make this kind of tech seem like toys.

21 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

Yeah humans should just go extinct so the robots can deliver cheaply made shit to themselves. Ever hear the one about "making the weapons that will later be used to destroy you"?

How about this?

None of this stuff is really high tech or futuristic though. Its all just cost cutting lowest bidder type tech. Stuff accomplished in the 50s-80s like space flight and hypersonic planes make this kind of tech seem like toys.

Tell me why everything that can be automated shouldn't be automated.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Now imagine 1 software glitch and

tsar-bomba1.jpg

Not entirely. With these things, they are small. A software glitch = a congestion. Perhaps if max speed collision, a couple fall over. It's if the entire system crashes, then you halt entirely.

But any automated warehouse gets that. If computers go down, how can you scan the barcodes? Granted, you can fall back to paper only on human systems/workers. But the efficiency vs outage could work out in the long run, providing not too many cutbacks on coding. ;)

4 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

Tell me why everything that can be automated shouldn't be automated.

Because of sustainability, dependence, self organized criticality and evolutionary fitness landscapes.

Nah. Automation is fine. It's the people though. People will be greedy and sack everyone to put in automation, instead of using automation to make the jobs easier. :(

2 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

Because of sustainability, dependence, self organized criticality and evolutionary fitness landscapes.

What? O.o You can't stop progress, keep in mind that we're talking about non government owned companies, why should they care about employment?

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Now imagine 1 software glitch and

tsar-bomba1.jpg

Now imagine a few software glitches...

4634327-6299343248-14068.jpg

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

What? O.o You can't stop progress, keep in mind that we're talking about non government owned companies, why should they care about employment?

Because companies are not displaced from the locations in which they are incorporated. Further, a company is always a Human activity. It is not some organic life that is removed from Human Agency.

Then there is the massive externalities which will be born by the people near the physical location of the automated companies.  All of these automation programs are currently highly subsidized by the populations around them. 

Then, and this is something you should look out for in a few years, the PC Culture is eventually going to catch on to the "racist" and "sexist" nature of automation. Especially when it starts hitting government jobs. There's a reason they're called "Make-Work" jobs by the rest of the employed population. That's going to be really fun to watch in a few years. I'll bring the marshmallows & hot dogs.

5 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Because companies are not displaced from the locations in which they are incorporated. Further, a company is always a Human activity. It is not some organic life that is removed from Human Agency.

Then there is the massive externalities which will be born by the people near the physical location of the automated companies.  All of these automation programs are currently highly subsidized by the populations around them. 

Then, and this is something you should look out for in a few years, the PC Culture is eventually going to catch on to the "racist" and "sexist" nature of automation. Especially when it starts hitting government jobs. There's a reason they're called "Make-Work" jobs by the rest of the employed population. That's going to be really fun to watch in a few years. I'll bring the marshmallows & hot dogs.

How is automation going to change landscapes if they comply with current regulations?

What are these subsidies you mention?

How can machines be racist or sexist?

25 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

"Because there haven’t been any advances,” Malcolm said. “Not really. Thirty thousand years ago; when men were doing cave paintings at Lascaux, they worked twenty hours a week to provide themselves with food and shelter and clothing. The rest of the time, they could play, or sleep, or do whatever they wanted. And they lived in a natural world, with clean air, clean water, beautiful trees and sunsets. Think about it. Twenty hours a week. Thirty thousand years ago.” Ellie said, “You want to turn back the clock?” “No,” Malcolm said. “I want people to wake up. We’ve had four hundred years of modern science, and we ought to know by now what it’s good for, and what it’s not good for. It’s time for a change." From Jurassic Park - Michael Crichton. 

Like it was said almost 30 years ago in that book(and the same lessons really go back to the collapse of the Roman Empire). These arent real advances but the general population is far to ignirant to discern between advancement, progress, and nonadaptive "do it if you can, dont bother thinking whether or not you should" BS. Look no further than the degeneration of the consumer electronics industry for that.

Most people cant tell the Chinese knockoff from the genuine article these days, and are so complacent that theyre satisfied with the knockoff version of everything they buy(almost said own, but property ownership is going the way of the dinosaur).

Like the other guy, who actually has a clue, said: ill just sit back and roast marshmallows and make popcorn to watch the show. No one listens until its too late but i told you so.

10 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

"Because there haven’t been any advances,” Malcolm said. “Not really. Thirty thousand years ago; when men were doing cave paintings at Lascaux, they worked twenty hours a week to provide themselves with food and shelter and clothing. The rest of the time, they could play, or sleep, or do whatever they wanted. And they lived in a natural world, with clean air, clean water, beautiful trees and sunsets. Think about it. Twenty hours a week. Thirty thousand years ago.” Ellie said, “You want to turn back the clock?” “No,” Malcolm said. “I want people to wake up. We’ve had four hundred years of modern science, and we ought to know by now what it’s good for, and what it’s not good for. It’s time for a change." From Jurassic Park - Michael Crichton. 

Like it was said almost 30 years ago in that book(and the same lessons really go back to the collapse of the Roman Empire). These arent real advances but the general population is far to ignirant to discern between advancement, progress, and nonadaptive "do it if you can, dont bother thinking whether or not you should" BS. Look no further than the degeneration of the consumer electronics industry for that.

Most people cant tell the Chinese knockoff from the genuine article these days, and are so complacent that theyre satisfied with the knockoff version of everything they buy(almost said own, but property ownership is going the way of the dinosaur).

Like the other guy, who actually has a clue, said: ill just sit back and roast marshmallows and make popcorn to watch the show. No one listens until its too late but i told you so.

Advancement and progress translate to the same word in my language.What do consumer electronics and knockoffs have to do with this?Thirty thousand years ago humans also lived shorter, died during birth, suffered from diseases, do I need to say more?You still haven't said how automation is going to harm society.We have far bigger problems than that.

23 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

How is automation going to change landscapes if they comply with current regulations?

What are these subsidies you mention?

How can machines be racist or sexist?

The first waves of automation & industrialization did tasks that are fairly inefficient for humans to perform. Think Steam Trains vs Horses for cargo. The proposals for second wave automation is to simply remove Human Activity for the purpose of Human Activity. First Wave didn't remove humans, but actually increased the need for total human activity around the manufacturing. Skilled Machinists are in more demand, now, than they were 30 years ago. As CAD design & 3D Printing technology improves, it becomes even more difficult to work with many manufacturing techniques.

Roads don't build themselves. Telecom infrastructure doesn't build itself. Water, Power, Gas & Natural Gas infrastructures don't build themselves. And all of these things, to be maintained, require cultures & nations that can sustain those systems. If this wasn't true, everyone would be building massive manufacturing in the middle of the desert.

"How can machines be racist or sexist?". Easy. Many factions were quite happy when the end of the first wave of Automation & negative trade systems exported lower & middle class European jobs, mostly performed by Men, from North America & Europe to SE Asia. However, once the second wave of automation takes off, it'll utterly remove the need for most Women in the work force, and it'll disproportionately hit minorities because of fairly basic racial differences in cogitative ability. 

Remember, anything that hurts Women & non-Whites is "sexist" & "racist'. Thems the rules. It's going to be hilarious when it finally comes crashing down on SV like a load of bricks. Like I said, I'll bring marshmallows to that one.

32 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

Advancement and progress translate to the same word in my language.What do consumer electronics and knockoffs have to do with this?Thirty thousand years ago humans also lived shorter, died during birth, suffered from diseases, do I need to say more?You still haven't said how automation is going to harm society.We have far bigger problems than that.

Im not going to teach you everything i spent decades learning on a forum when youre obviously one of the people i was referring to.

Go look up how those things  i mentioned like evolutionary fitness landscapes work.

One step forward to glorious techno- communism.

That or just unending extreme poverty because we won't even have these entry-level jobs anymore. That's just my theory anyways, maybe there's room for some middle ground idea that I'm missing.

2 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

DAMMIT WHERE'S THE SKIN ON THE KILLERBOTS *angry typing on keyboard*

Is this considered nudes then? 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

11 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

One step forward to glorious techno- communism.

That or just unending extreme poverty because we won't even have these entry-level jobs anymore. That's just my theory anyways, maybe there's room for some middle ground idea that I'm missing.

Nope its Amazon shoppers who are missing something :P

This is not actually new tech. It's a Japanese company that have licenced the tech from a Norwegian company called AutoStore.

www.autostoresystem.com

AutoStore System have been in operation in for example Komplett's storage system for years. Komplett is Norway's biggest online store.

This is one video I found:

https://youtu.be/0f3sz0vJjH8

Edit: don't know what the deal actually is between the Norwegian and Japanese company.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

I'm definitely going to be one of those people that love robots as an equal. Those are too cute. *pets robot*

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red