bios freezes with continuous chirping sound from motherboard speaker

solomongrundy

I'm diagnosing a problem for somebody. They dropped their HP M7330n (Asus A8AE-LE motherboard) tower horizontally and now it won't go past the HP logo bios screen.

i unplugged everything, dvd, hd, expansion cards and all but one ram stick. The problem is still there. The funny thing is that when I remove all the ram, the motherboard beeps normally indicating no memory installed. As soon as I put even one stick of ram, the fast clicking noise comes back. The clicking noise is from the mobo speaker and it sounds the same as a grinding fan. It's not the hard drive or anything else because I've unplugged molex/sata cables from everything.

I've also taken out all the expansion cards and left only one stick of ram. I also reseated the CPU.

Help appreciated.

tThank you

no problem. I should mention that I've also reseated the CPU, it's a AMD 64 x2. I might be wrong, but don't these cpus have integrated memory controllers? You could still be right though...the impact might have jarred something inside the cpu that controls the memory. Only the cpu gods know.

RMA the board that sounds like a broken memory but if you get a new board then it still has the problem then its your cpu or RAM.

RMA the board that sounds like a broken memory but if you get a new board then it still has the problem then its your cpu or RAM.

yeah, this thing is way too old to be under warranty anymore.  Probably better to build a new budget amd system than throw more money at this old piece o' junk.