Is this something to be concerned about?

ChrisZH

I just got my RX Vega 64 rog Strix, it was a warehouse deals from amazon (like new). It seemed like the bag wasn’t open. All stickers were still on and no finger prints on card. So I put it in and install drivers. Everything seems good. I go to set an idle fan speed but when I turn it on one fan spins normally (middle) then the others seem to spin slower. When the speed goes up the other fans then seem weird. Like it spins and then it spins in reverse and then spins normally and it just repeats like this. Then in games that would cap the core clock on my RX580 do not cap this card. Is there something wrong with my Vega?

12 minutes ago, ChrisZH said:

Like it spins and then it spins in reverse and then spins normally and it just repeats like this.

If the fans actually start spinning in reverse, that's probably not a good sign.

But how is the performance on the card? Is it performing like you expect it to? 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Do you have a video that might show the fans reversing? 

hi.

How can fans spin in reverse wtf? Are you sure they're not spinning too fast so you get the reverse spin effect?

Download the Asus strix fan control software and then disable 0 decibel fans.

On my strix 1070 it caused the middle fan to not spin at all, it just wiggled in the place, but didnt start spinning. And of course Asus said that it is the correct behaviour.

33 minutes ago, frozeNNN said:

How can fans spin in reverse wtf? Are you sure they're not spinning too fast so you get the reverse spin effect?

That’s what I’m thinking happens but it’s only the two outer fans. The middle fan always spins normally

36 minutes ago, AskTJ said:

Do you have a video that might show the fans reversing? 

I can post one later today

46 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

If the fans actually start spinning in reverse, that's probably not a good sign.

But how is the performance on the card? Is it performing like you expect it to? 

I upgraded from a crossfire of RX580. Performance on some games is better and on others about the same if not a little worse. Is it because the clock speed is never maxed?

One thing I don’t get is I have a 1670 core clock speed but it never gets higher than 1200 or so. Why is this?

19 minutes ago, Some Random Member said:

Download the Asus strix fan control software and then disable 0 decibel fans.

On my strix 1070 it caused the middle fan to not spin at all, it just wiggled in the place, but didnt start spinning. And of course Asus said that it is the correct behaviour.

Link to it? I use afterburner for the fan curve.

Is there a reason why my RX580 in crossfire would max on the core clock speed but my vega64 does not even get close to it?

I have the same card, and I upgraded from a MSI GTX 1070 and I noticed that the Vega isn't capable of running at Full Speed, mine maxes out at about 1505 MHz +/- 50 MHz.

Do you use it stock or did you change anything in the MSI Afterburner?

My Rig:

Motherboard: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K @4.6 GHz | @1.325v

GPU 1: Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 64 Nitro+ @1630 MHz PL +50% HBM2 @1050 MHz

GPU 2: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC @Stock

RAM: Kinston HyperX Savage 4x8 GB (32 GB) DDR4-2133 MHz CL13

SSD: Samsung SSD 850 Evo 250 GB

SSHD: Seagate SSHD 2 TB ST2000DX001

HDD: Seagate HDD 1 TB St1000DM003

PSU: EVGA SuperNova G3 850W

Case: IN WIN 707

i got a reference xfx vega 64 yesterday i tweaked the card with Wattman

core is at 1632

hbm is at 1000

voltage for both is 1055

max power limit 

fan 1000-3200

i get amds advertised boost, and sometimes get to 1600mhz, but the card normally does 1560-1580, while 76c being my max temperature

i attached my performance logging file and you can open and view it in Adrenalin charts https://adrenalincharts.com/

20180712-104306.CSV

since you have an AIB card, you can do a higher voltage like 1060, or 1000 to get to 1632 and higher. 

1 hour ago, Emanuel_M said:

i got a reference xfx vega 64 yesterday i tweaked the card with Wattman

core is at 1632

hbm is at 1000

voltage for both is 1055

max power limit 

fan 1000-3200

i get amds advertised boost, and sometimes get to 1600mhz, but the card normally does 1560-1580, while 76c being my max temperature

i attached my performance logging file and you can open and view it in Adrenalin charts https://adrenalincharts.com/

20180712-104306.CSV

since you have an AIB card, you can do a higher voltage like 1060, or 1000 to get to 1632 and higher. 

Should I use wattman instead of afterburner?

3 hours ago, Der Held said:

I have the same card, and I upgraded from a MSI GTX 1070 and I noticed that the Vega isn't capable of running at Full Speed, mine maxes out at about 1505 MHz +/- 50 MHz.

Do you use it stock or did you change anything in the MSI Afterburner?

I just use it stock, although I changed power limit in afterburner

3 minutes ago, ChrisZH said:

I just use it stock, although I changed power limit in afterburner

Ok, I only changed the power limit to +50% and I'm testing around with undervolting a little bit. But more than -31 mV doesn't work, well I haven't got that much luck out of the silicon lottery than with my i7-6700K, which is pretty good. As soon as I am done with undervolting the chip, I'm gonna overclock the HBM2.

I also have made a costum fan curve too, but I am still experimenting, if I should use it, or just go with the pretty good factory curve.

In my costum curve I definitely do not use a 0 dB fan, I let it run at just the lowest possible RPM, which is around 1100 RPM. That's completely silent, of course.

My Rig:

4 hours ago, Der Held said:

Ok, I only changed the power limit to +50% and I'm testing around with undervolting a little bit. But more than -31 mV doesn't work, well I haven't got that much luck out of the silicon lottery than with my i7-6700K, which is pretty good. As soon as I am done with undervolting the chip, I'm gonna overclock the HBM2.

I also have made a costum fan curve too, but I am still experimenting, if I should use it, or just go with the pretty good factory curve.

In my costum curve I definitely do not use a 0 dB fan, I let it run at just the lowest possible RPM, which is around 1100 RPM. That's completely silent, of course.

I’ve just heard this strange noise that my graphics card makes. Almost like a whine when under load. And I thought I was going crazy. But some of the fans don’t spin right. It’s not just the same fan either. Now I think this card has coil whine... Is there a way to fix this? Or should I exchange? I tried other games, it won’t even get past 600mhz for clock speed. I really think this card is defective

Please anyone help me with this. I’ve tried different games, sometimes I hear the whine and then sometimes I don’t. I can’t get the core clock to go past 800... no matter what I’ve done. Haven’t tried lowering voltage yet though... is this card defective?

Sounds like coil whine, which is the sound of a fan going bad. What temperature is the card at?

hi.

50 minutes ago, AskTJ said:

Sounds like coil whine, which is the sound of a fan going bad. What temperature is the card at?

The card temps are fine, but idle core clock is at 27mhz but my rx580 was at 300... it’s not just one fan though... if it was just the whine I could deal with that. Should I call Asus support? I know they are pretty shit. Could the card not be getting enough power? It seems like I get the same performance from this as I did my rx580...

So on heaven benchmark I was able to get up to 1534mhz. Am I just going crazy to think this is a bad card? The only game it makes the whine on is bless online. 

Coil whine usually comes along with very high framerates. On the AIDA64 GPGPU benchmark, my chip finally reaches its stock target frequency of 1630 MHz. It spits out 13.146 TFLOPS computing power.

My Rig:

2 hours ago, Der Held said:

Coil whine usually comes along with very high framerates. On the AIDA64 GPGPU benchmark, my chip finally reaches its stock target frequency of 1630 MHz. It spits out 13.146 TFLOPS computing power.

I ended up returning the card because two of the fans did not spin right on my strix Vega. Thinking I’m just gonna get strix 1080