Am I Getting Old Or Are Games Actually Getting Shittier

cluelessgenius

You have chosen really shitty examples, do you expect better from anything that is mainstream?Here is something better

Spoiler

The forest

Red faction guerrilla remarstered

Kerbal space program

Universe sandbox 2

Rocket league

The vanishing of Ethan Carter

Heat signature

A hat in time

Cuphead

GTA V

Aragami

Hover

SOMA

BeamNG

Insurgency and upcoming Insurgency sandstorm

Mini metro

Metal gear solid V

Inside

The long dark

Yooka laylee

Kingdom come deliverance

Factorio

Subnautica

Clustertruck

Elex

Hellblade senuas sacrifice

Ghost of a tale

Little nightmares

Vampyr

Slime rancher

Where the water tastes like wine

Oxygen not included

Vanquish

Human fall flat

Cities skylines

Planet coaster

What remains of edith finch

Railway empire

They are billions

In PS1 times i had 200+ games on that console alone

PS2 around 80 between it and the Xbox.

From then to today - Purely PC, ~50 games (thats in about 12 years)

I can ,and do, go back to those PS1 and 2 games and other games of that period and older, like MegaDrive and ill still enjoy them greatly.

Modern games though are full of to much fluff and filler, achievments, collectables, pointless side quests, time wasting mechanics, all built to stretch out the gameplay to make the game seem bigger than it is. Most modern games when they come down to actual main content, and main core game mechanics are very limited.

I personal think this is down to what can now be done in games today vs in years past combined with time limits and deadlines by publishers, and limits added by greed driven objectives . Devs can do more, so they grab a little of everything, shoe horn it into the game as fast as possible, add in a few limiting factors,  whilst negleting the primary focus. Games of old had less quantity of different mechanics and 'fluff' but had a solid long lasting primary gameplay and story.

When the 'sugestion' sub forum of games is full the brim with cool idea's that would make the game in question better, and are repeatedly suggested in different ways by players over and over, it shows that these ideas are not hard to come up with, and yet they are not in the game, becouse it takes to much time and effort on 1 mechanic, vs shoving in alot of 'easy' mechanics and fluff like collectables, like achievments, like leaderboards.

In the past 8-12 months i have played 3 'new' games.. just 3.

The Surge

Battletech

Warframe

I bought the 1st and 2nd, and enjoyed them both. Battletech is to limited and short for my liking BUT i understand why, its a niche game, and a relativly small developer.

Warframe on the other hand im having a tought time enjoying since i started playing a week or so ago due to heavy F2P limitations within the game, and on principle i never buy microtransactions, so im likely going to knock that on the head soon.

In those same 8-12 months during the time of the PS1 i would have gone though at least 40 games.

@cluelessgenius, yes games have been getting worse, but its been happening since around 2007. You will get a few good games a year come out, but thats about it.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

On 12/07/2018 at 9:30 PM, Taja said:

"The music was better in the 19xx!!" - no it wasnt, but you remember the good songs. Or maybe in that time you actually made an effort to look for what you love.

I think everyone will find this video very helpful in explaining the situation. It does clearly focuses on music but as other's have said it applies everywhere. Before you judge the video I'll just mention that it does provide factual evidence, not just some guys nostalgic opinions.

The TRUTH Why Modern Music Is Awful:

https://youtu.be/oVME_l4IwII

TLDW: It's all about money, not if the content is any good. They use every trick in the book to manipulate people into emptying their wallet.

Well I for one think that the serious lack of innovative stand-alone games currently definitely makes me share your viewpoint.

The only real innovation in the last years I can think of concerning gameplay is Battlegrounds. The monumental popularity of that game (initially at least), is a real testiment of how gamers crave new experiences.

Just like in movies these days, production companies have realized that working in franchises is much more cost effective and involves alot less risk than trying to innovate with each game.

Just to put the constant re-hashing in numbers...we are currently at (countin the 2018 games):

FIFA 26(!)

Call of Duty 15

Battlefield 12

Assassins Creed 11

Forza Motorsport 7

Far Cry 6

No wonder we are bored out of our minds...

On 12.7.2018 at 11:12 AM, cluelessgenius said:

then FARCRY 5. what the actual F? i remember Vaas in FC3 really getting into my head. totally loved that game but the 4th one already smelled like a re-skin of the same shit and as if this one wasnt bad enough, now they`re releasing a Mars DLC ? i think theyre trying to copy my next point

Far Cry 4 took all that is good from 3 and made it better. You had a big choice of weapons and nice crafting. I liked it the most.

With 5 I agree, its not that great. They got rid of the Far Cry 3 and 4 Crafting (never played 2), so hunting is only for money.

The other DLC I've not taken a look at although I have the Gold Edition for AFAIR 100€ or so....

i could go on but i hope you get my point.

Yes, you are playing the wrong games and are raging about continuations of franchices...

And the Franchises were there isn't a total reset each time they make a new game, they tend to suck after a while.

You should try some new games and not just the 08/15 Standard Hype Games...

so the question stays. are games getting shittier and publishers just after those moneyz or am i just getting too old for this shit and need to get with the times?

No, the games aren't getting shittier, continuation in franchises do. Like Movies.

You need to take a look at other stuff.

For example Ni No Kuni, Tales of Berseria...

And sometimes you have a dud in a series and sometimes the development of games is not for you but for other people...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

It's always been the case that most yearly releases are mediocore-to-bunk and a handful at best are actually worth playing.  If you feel games are getting worse you've probably just caught up on the backlog of games that are actually worth playing and are stuck looking at titles that are just there to justify continuing the hobby while waiting for another actually worthwhile title to come out.

Try to play something that you typically wouldn't play.

Like a platformer for example