Am I Getting Old Or Are Games Actually Getting Shittier

cluelessgenius

Rant-Warning

so i have been out of the "active" gamer community for a while but recently upgraded my rig to its "final form" for now at least and thought now i can finally play all those games ive been meaning to play.

but then i fell hard on my ass when pretty much all of them turn crap. i mean developers and publisher probably wouldnt do it if it wouldnt sell so i guess people want it like that right now but honestly i thought there was at least a couple of titles untouched.

so first off ANNO 2205. no multiplayer at all? what the hell? the only reason i ever played it was to bring my friends to financial ruin. at least the next one should be fine though but still...

then FARCRY 5. what the actual F? i remember Vaas in FC3 really getting into my head. totally loved that game but the 4th one already smelled like a re-skin of the same shit and as if this one wasnt bad enough, now they`re releasing a Mars DLC ? i think theyre trying to copy my next point

and that leads me to COD. i started with the first COD back in the day and those were awesone. COD2 Tujane is still one of my favorite games and maps to play with friends. the last one i seriously played was MW2 so they had just started introducing kill streaks and loadouts. but now they got robots and zombies? how does that have anything to do with what the original COD was? 

i could go on but i hope you get my point. im also not neccessaryly saying those games are bad. im saying they deviate too much from what they where and start to all merge to gether into a giant blob of copy and paste re-skinned games. And dont even get me started on the whole pre-order and DLC thing but its a sad truth im having a hard time accepting. again i remember when you bought a game when it was out and there were no excuses for bugs, no pre-alphas, no day one DLCs maybe one addon like a year later but it was more like C&C Generals and Zero Hour where the whole game dynamic changed and not just 2 extra missions and some skins.

so the question stays. are games getting shittier and publishers just after those moneyz or am i just getting too old for this shit and need to get with the times?

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

You say that you loved Far Cry 3, and they you say that Far cry 4 was a "re-skin of the same shit". So that is a reason to hate Far Cry 4? It's more of the same, more of the good stuff, how can you say that's bad? 

Have you tried watching a movie lately? It's even worse...

All the good ideas have apparently been used, so it's all a re-hash or re-telling or re-skin.

I play Elite Dangerous more than anything else, because it's remotely interesting and original. I play destiny because I like to shoot stuff and I don't care that it's incredibly redundant or repetitive when I just want to blow shit up.

You are just exiting the main demographic for these games.

Look at the players of COD. Most of them are 12olds, and they like zombies and robots, while you as an older gentleman dont appreciate them.

Game publisher gater more and more on the younger demographic, because that is where the money is. Most adult people wouldnt buy pointless DLCs, but kids dont know better.

1 minute ago, -TesseracT- said:

You say that you loved Far Cry 3, and they you say that Far cry 4 was a "re-skin of the same shit". So that is a reason to hate Far Cry 4? It's more of the same, more of the good stuff, how can you say that's bad? 

if all the harry potter books (or the avengers movies or any series of pop culture you like really) where the same thing with different names and maybe different emblem of hogwarts would that not pisss you off. 

to call it a "new game" and then serve re-heated meals from yesterday so to speak is just not what you expect. 

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

I tried nfs payback and after that nfsu2 and i can say new games are shit. But simulator games are not that bad. I mean games like beamng that are simulator. 

2 minutes ago, LukzForEver said:

I tried nfs payback and after that nfsu2 and i can say new games are shit. But simulator games are not that bad. I mean games like beamng that are simulator. 

NFS is kinda tricky for me because im still liking "Need for Speed" you know the 2015 or something version with no subtitle. but NFS always mostly was more of a car tuning simulator and i never really cared for the story. iv spent days just in the garage fine tuning cars. but i do agree that they had a couple of titles in there that where really shitty in terms of gameplay.

10 minutes ago, -TesseracT- said:

Yeah and if they introduced zombies in Far Cry 4 it wouldn't be "re-skin of the same shit" but still he wouldn't like it because it's not like how previous Far Cry games were like..............................

2 minutes ago, frozeNNN said:

Yeah and if they introduced zombies in Far Cry 4 it wouldn't be "re-skin of the same shit" but still he wouldn't like it because it's not like how previous Far Cry games were like..............................

like i said. that wouldnt be because zombies have a natural place in that universe but just because "hey COD did it and kids love that shit so lets just slap zombies on there in the most non sensable way possible and grab that money"

its all gonna be one pile of zombie laser gun robot battle with 50 DLC to all the weapons and 2 billion levels to level up und get all the perks and shit or... you can just you know...buy them for 200 bucks or so in the ultimate collectors edition - black edition RGB

you get what i mean?

2 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

like i said. that wouldnt be because zombies have a natural place in that universe but just because "hey COD did it and kids love that shit so lets just slap zombies on there in the most non sensable way possible and grab that money"

its all gonna be one pile of zombie laser gun robot battle with 50 DLC to all the weapons and 2 billion levels to level up und get all the perks and shit or... you can just you know...buy them for 200 bucks or so in the ultimate collectors edition - black edition RGB

you get what i mean?

I just gave an example where I say that nobody can satisfy everyone

Sequels for AAA games is getting pretty stale for sure. Try find new genre to play or indie games. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

45 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Sequels for AAA games is getting pretty stale for sure. Try find new genre to play or indie games. 

pretty much yeah. but i do like my games AAA. indie games while fun im sure just dont usually have the budget to look as amazing. i always liked storytelling games with amazing graphics. and nowadays i feel like i have to choose between the two. Mass effect at least isnt ruined yet. but im sure if the multiplayer ever catches on they will. 

also i just remembered gothic is also an example. while not multiplayer they still managed somehow to go totally of course BUT then again they at least didnt call the last ones gothic anymore so gothic fans wouldnt be disappointed to not get what they came for. so good job there. 

oh and whatever happened to RTS am i just blind here or when was the last big RTS released?

Try Kingdom Come Deliverance yet? Great graphic with traditional RPG elements but story is just ok for me. SP only though.

Big RTS? Dawn Of War 3? xD What a failure that was though i kinda enjoy the story missions.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

A lot of the games you listed suck donkey’s alternative word. 

Try titanfall 2’s Single Player (nonstop action with ultimate player power) 

Ghost of a tail (fun tight level design, good graphics and interesting characters with tons of optional lore) 

shadow of Mordor (“fun version of assassins creed.”)

darkwood (basically a top down mystery open world survival game) 

dawn of War Dark crusade (amazing characters in single player campaign & best RTS in my book) 

metro 2033 or last light. (Last light is better but it picks up just after 2033) (post apocalyptic Russian Moscow where train stations were nuclear shelters & each station became a city. Mutants and stations that wage war with supernatural anomalies. Great first person stealth game that can be played like an action game if you want.) 

If you played these or are looking for something else, let me know. I’m hesitant to recommend a great game because of the main character’s appearance but I have other games I can advise you to. Also look up the games I recommend. They’re all highly praised & not super popular. 

As an audio engineer & composer/producer who's been circling around the development community for the past decade, watching the near complete disruption that DIY-era has introduced to the marketplace has caused the major publishers to redefine their business models.

The same thing happened to the music industry, then it happened to the film industry, and then it happened to the video game industry.  The factors behind the cascade that set the ball rolling may have been unique to each industry, but the stimulus behind the changes developed the same patterns.

While Napster may have killed the music industry in the 2000's, Streaming has killed the mp3 and digital sales.  DVD killed the home video market, but then Netflix, Hulu, and others have been killing paid cable/satellite TV providers' business models just the same.  Youtube is doing as much as it can along with Netflix to force TV Networks and the big studios to change their business models.

The same thing has happened with video games.  While console wars still exist, their inexorable price spiral ever-upward into the land of home computer/entertainment systems and digital stores competing with the likes of Steam means that the ubiquity of entertainment leaves little room to chance or "comfort" in publishers bottom line.  To further add to that maelstrom, the introduction of WISYWIG Game development kits have not only streamlined production pipelines, but simplified the tools and processes greatly.

This is true of every industry.  As technology continues to improve, it continues to do 2 things: improves the quality of leading-edge innovation, and forces the prices down of the existing conventional technologies to be ever-more affordable to end-consumers so that they can essentially buy-in to creating their own content.  The second thing that has happened, is the sophistication of the software and interfaces (UX) have allowed it to become more accessible to people without deep knowledge or education into the craft of producing the content (videogame, music, film, etc..). 

The trends to date that "work" for sustainable income streams are as follows:
-Studios release "tentpole films" and establish these huge, long-running franchises because it nets them more profits than investing smaller amounts into more films and taking risks on a larger pool of intellectual properties.  Seeing a budget for a Marvel film set as high as $200+ million is fairly conservative and frugal given that the majority of that is getting spent on marketing and advertising to generate revenue well in a surplus of their spending budget.  They have their "algorithms" and research formulas down to an exact science to predict how much they can net, and that will determine how much budget they will spend.  They know that dumping the massive amount of $$$ behind marketing 1-2 big production films a year will guarantee so much revenue.  It has nothing to do with whether the film is actually liked or not.  You can hate the film all you want, but you still paid to see it.

From Movieweb:

With the help of Ant-Man and the Wasp, Marvel Studios has passed the $17 billion mark at the global box office. They accomplished that stunning figure with twenty movies in just ten years. Imagine what they can do with another six years through 2024?

This current model is the best way to compete with the likes of Netflix, Hulu, and other competitor models like Youtube constantly eroding into the box-office arena for consumer's attention.

-Music industry focuses more on social media brand-building with extreme targeted marketing of "lifestyle" endorsements, and "the game" has turned the content (the music) away from discrete product sales (such as CD's, Vinyl, MP3), into this constant stream of scheduled releases - Singles, remixes, alternate versions, side-projects with alternate collaborators, etc.. Streaming now makes up for more than 50% of all music sales globally.
Music brands that generate the most income aren't generating it directly from music sales or streaming royalties, but rather through synchronization rights (licensing - B2B), and/or influence-generated sales.  Look at a top-rated act and then see what they're selling you; most likely it's culture - Clothing (fashion), a message (cause that they can tie to a service, or non-profit, charity, etc).  Music is just a tool to grab your attention that then gets wielded to call you to action to something else for you to buy, consume, engage with, etc.
-Two divergent models exist with some overlap in the game industry: the AAA Franchises continually re-iterate just like the "tentpole" effect in the film industry.  The long-running franchises rehash storylines, characters, settings, and gameplay with "slight tweaks".  Along with the infamous DLC, and depending on the title, the occasional expansion pack.  At the other end of the spectrum, is the Freemium models, where a single game gets continually updated in a "continuum" fashion with the core game's focus being always connected.  The ever-rising expectation of visual splendor has far-outpaced innovative gameplay (something that Nintendo has constantly strived and failed many times at without quitting), continually bloats budgets where lots of manual labor is required to produce, but the opposite end of the market where DIY and indie startups compete (and oversaturate), causes market instability.

What do players cling to?  Nostalgia is a huge factor in keeping the long-running franchises alive, despite lack of innovation or stale storylines. In every regard, the pace of technology accelerating the pace of disruption means there is constant upheaval in business models, which has actually stiffled the growth of the market considerably.  What about the expectations of the average consumer as they grow up?

When I was a kid, I was excited to play my Sega Genesis and the pace of games pushing the hardware to it's limits was few and far between back then.  As the pace of change has accelerated at breakneck speeds, I'm less happy enjoying even titles I am familiar with over taking a chance on something I wouldn't normally play, and I don't get the same gratification out of binge-playing the way I did when I was little.  I'm just at the point where I care very little to play games unless I have specific friends I know personally in real life that want to hop on and enjoy together.  But, that's just me.

Have games truly become shittier?  I don't know..  They certainly cater to the younger generation now, and if there's any indicator they're just as unhappy as us old folks are, I'm definitely missing it, because there are still titles profiting off of some market segment, somewhere; even if it's not me.

1 hour ago, fpo said:

A lot of the games you listed suck donkey’s alternative word. 

Try titanfall 2’s Single Player (nonstop action with ultimate player power) 

Ghost of a tail (fun tight level design, good graphics and interesting characters with tons of optional lore) 

shadow of Mordor (“fun version of assassins creed.”)

darkwood (basically a top down mystery open world survival game) 

dawn of War Dark crusade (amazing characters in single player campaign & best RTS in my book) 

metro 2033 or last light. (Last light is better but it picks up just after 2033) (post apocalyptic Russian Moscow where train stations were nuclear shelters & each station became a city. Mutants and stations that wage war with supernatural anomalies. Great first person stealth game that can be played like an action game if you want.) 

If you played these or are looking for something else, let me know. I’m hesitant to recommend a great game because of the main character’s appearance but I have other games I can advise you to. Also look up the games I recommend. They’re all highly praised & not super popular. 

titanfall  - dont know much about it but from what ive seen it looks a bit silly to me. its basically power rangers megasort meets COD

Ghost of a tale - just really not my cup of tea

shadow of Mordor - not big into lord of the rings IP

darkwood, metro - im a bit of a baby with spoopy stuff. no really cant play any horror / survival game if not coop. oh and topdown never really did it for me either

dawn of War Dark crusade - interesting, might check it out but i usually dont care for the story in RTS games.

21 minutes ago, Cam The Music Man said:

actually making a lot of sense now. thanks. not often one gets an answer on here so well put together and objetive.

1 hour ago, cluelessgenius said:

titanfall  - dont know much about it but from what ive seen it looks a bit silly to me. its basically power rangers megasort meets COD

Ghost of a tale - just really not my cup of tea

shadow of Mordor - not big into lord of the rings IP

darkwood, metro - im a bit of a baby with spoopy stuff. no really cant play any horror / survival game if not coop. oh and topdown never really did it for me either

dawn of War Dark crusade - interesting, might check it out but i usually dont care for the story in RTS games.

Titanfall 2 was developed by ex call of duty developers but... basically you get to do parkour, go invisible & then jump in a giant titan and fight other titans. Then there's one level where you have a time machine thing & you have to time travel between past and present to get through the facility & fight fight the bad guys of the past & present at the same time. There's a lot of cool settings (locations) too. Based off your interest in FPS games, this should do you well. There is talk from the bad guys. I beat the game 2 times & am halfway through a 3rd play-through. It has phenomenal game-play. 

2:24 is where he talks about the campaign & starts the video:

Spoiler

Shadow of Mordor hardly touched on Lord of the Rings' story. Basically you're a badass warrior that can purge orks. or .. Urks. I understand if you aren't into it. Not many people like the batman style combat system nor open world. 

Metro isn't that scary but if you're scared of dark areas having supernatural events, I understand. 

Darkwood is a scary game with no intentional jump scares. It's not as bad as you may think but I understand. 

Spoiler

Good thing for you... Dark Crusade doesn't have much of a story. It's when you invade strongholds that the characters banter between each other. Basically it's like "7 warhammer factions are on this plane. Choose which areas you want to fight & kill all the other faction HQ, then you win." It's quite about the gameplay & map control. It's an aggressive RTS game. 

You can watch the Dawn of War and Winter Assault videos too for additional information. Soulstorm is considered the worst of the original but has the apocalypse mod. 

Spoiler

I'm not sure what games you're into but I'll list some more games (now that I'm on my desktop) & try to give a short sinopsis of gameplay & story:

Spoiler

Swat 4 - A Special police force game where you basically simulate real SWAT 

Battlefleet Gothic Armada - haven't played but it's like a space naval warfare game. 

Dark Messiah of Might & Magic - physics based medieval fantasy combat where you get magic powers & get to fight using anything/everything. The intro sequence shows how much choice in gameplay you have. 

Spoiler

Day of Infamy - Hybrid of Arma & counterstrike in WW2. Realistic fast paced FPS multiplayer Versus (or against bots) 

Insurgency - Same thing as Day of Infamy but modern day. 

Doorkickers - top down swat RTS game. Not sure if you'd care for it as you don't like top down games. 

Enslaved odyssey to the west - 3rd person beat em up sorta platformer. I didn't care for it, but it wasn't bad. 

Fallout 3 - survival RPG in the empty void post apocalypse with so many choices, many are hidden. 

Fallout New Vegas - Faction based RPG where you do the bidding of larger groups & get a ton of guns.

Fear - FPS game that lets you fk people up. Once you get past the intro sequence, the scaryness kinda dies down. There are some supernatural events but it's not that bad. 

Spoiler

Freeman: Guerrilla Warfare - Modern Day mount and blade. 

Haydee - Don't judge this game based off the character. Third person metroid vania like game. Tight level design & interesting abstract environments to navigate through. 

Killing Floor - British soldiers kill weird zombies & you get a lot of guns to choose from. Super English style game. 

Left 4 Dead 1 & 2 - 4 player arcade ish style zombie campaign game where you can play as the special zombies & download a ton of free mods like maps, character skins & sounds. 

The long dark - slow paced winter survival game. Now has a story if you want to play a campaign. 

Mass effect trilogy - fun story game with okay shooting. 

Mad Max - honorable mention. I haven't played it yet but many people liked it. 

Medal of Honor Airborne - short campaign but you get to parachute in anywhere you want for all 7~ levels. Many secrets, & interesting things. You can choose whatever guns you have as your "custom class" before starting missions. Based off how many kills you have, the guns get special upgrades like bigger magazines. 

MGSV- very slow beginning. I didn't get past it. I literally fell asleep playing it but many people like the freedom. 

Natural Selection 2 - a symetrical FPS/RTS hybrid. One guy gets to play the game like an RTS and everyone else plays like the soldiers on the ground. 

No more room in hell- slow paced realistic Left 4 dead with no mod support but support for custom maps. (Free)

Offworld Trading Company - Economy based RTS game. No combat. 

Rainbow six siege - excellent replayable multiplayer vs game with destructible walls & new characters every month or 2 that shake things up. Just watch any "The Russian badger" video on youtube to get an understanding. Very few bugs

Resident Evil 6 - Action 3rd person shooter with 4~ campaigns but the're all only like 4-6 hours each. Not that scary but it sorta tries. Not really. 

Stalker - open world eastern european cheeki breeki. 

Spoiler

Space engineers is a creative game where you can build space ships and stuff. 

Spec ops the line is "A generic 3rd person shooter" .... or is it?  (It has a story that makes it not.)

Space Hulk - turn based digital creation of the 1980s board game. 

Star Wars Republic commando - dark star wars style FPS game. 

Tooth & tail - interesting RTS game. You play as the commander & have to rally troops about sorta & can kinda build stuff. 

This war of mine - 2d sidescroller that is really difficult. You're basically always losing & you're not a soldier in this war. You're a civilian. 

Splinter cell blacklist - fun stealth game with lots of choice. 

Tomb Raider 2013 - 3rd person shooter/stealth/climber. Girl Uncharted with optional collectibles 

warhammer 40,000 space marine - NOT GEARS OF WAR CLONE. It's a 3rd person shooter/hack and slash hybrid. You have to & get to do both. 

Wolfenstein the old blood - fast paced shooter or stealth game. It cuts out all the nonsense exposition of The New Order & just jumps into the action. 

90 % of the games I listed are killer titles. Not all are that new though. 

8 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

Rant-Warning

so i have been out of the "active" gamer community for a while but recently upgraded my rig to its "final form" for now at least and thought now i can finally play all those games ive been meaning to play.

but then i fell hard on my ass when pretty much all of them turn crap. i mean developers and publisher probably wouldnt do it if it wouldnt sell so i guess people want it like that right now but honestly i thought there was at least a couple of titles untouched.

so first off ANNO 2205. no multiplayer at all? what the hell? the only reason i ever played it was to bring my friends to financial ruin. at least the next one should be fine though but still...

then FARCRY 5. what the actual F? i remember Vaas in FC3 really getting into my head. totally loved that game but the 4th one already smelled like a re-skin of the same shit and as if this one wasnt bad enough, now they`re releasing a Mars DLC ? i think theyre trying to copy my next point

and that leads me to COD. i started with the first COD back in the day and those were awesone. COD2 Tujane is still one of my favorite games and maps to play with friends. the last one i seriously played was MW2 so they had just started introducing kill streaks and loadouts. but now they got robots and zombies? how does that have anything to do with what the original COD was? 

i could go on but i hope you get my point. im also not neccessaryly saying those games are bad. im saying they deviate too much from what they where and start to all merge to gether into a giant blob of copy and paste re-skinned games. And dont even get me started on the whole pre-order and DLC thing but its a sad truth im having a hard time accepting. again i remember when you bought a game when it was out and there were no excuses for bugs, no pre-alphas, no day one DLCs maybe one addon like a year later but it was more like C&C Generals and Zero Hour where the whole game dynamic changed and not just 2 extra missions and some skins.

so the question stays. are games getting shittier and publishers just after those moneyz or am i just getting too old for this shit and need to get with the times?

Our culture is getting shittier. Bad business practices have carried over the video game industry. Franchises are constantly being milked in entertainment, including movies and television. Nobody wants to take creative risks, especially with FPS games. the only devs taking risks are indie devs, whose games can be hit or miss. Even indie devs are getting into bad business practices, the culling 2 is a perfect example of this. The culling 1 came out of EA like what 6 months ago? 

Not too mention that little kids now have $1000 gaming PC's. It never used to be like that back in 2007, most of the people i played with were around the 20 years old range (bviously now they are closer to 30). Cartoon shooters havent helped with this at all. 

Games, like EVERY art form, always have lots of good and bad products at every given time.

"The music was better in the 19xx!!" - no it wasnt, but you remember the good songs. Or maybe in that time you actually made an effort to look for what you love.

Games like The Witcher 3, Fallouts, Dark Souls, Life is Strange, Divinity: Original Sin 2, Vampyr... These are games that I REALLY enjoyed.

Other games that I havent played but are known for their quality: Bloodborne, The Last of Us, God of War, Zelda botw, Horizon Zero Dawn, Pillar of Eternity 2, Mario Odissey, Nioh...

And ofc there are many more, in different styles and platforms. So yeah, if you like GAMES you will find amazing stuff if you look for it.

I kinda had this problem with books, and that changed when I discovered exquisite authors that I didnt know before.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

"AAA" games are getting shittier due to poor direction and business practices. I find "non AAA" games don't really have this issue though. Monster Hunter World, Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, Prey, Doom, and Tekken 7 are all good examples of this.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

Interesting topic, I had a similar conversation recently with a friend of mine, and we eventually came to two conclusions about it.

Firstly, I think when we were younger there wasnt as much for games to hang on except story and theme, it was less about graphics and more about the experience that the game offered you.  and because we were all younger we were not expecting such a thrilling experience (such as Halo CE, Quake, NFS Most Wanted, GTA3 and the like). In addition the capabilities of systems were just beginning to be realised. the jumps from generation to generation were profound and genres previously unheard of started taking the scene by storm, and the current industry giants were cutting their paths through the myriad of new technologies and engines to give the most visceral experience possible within the framework they had. 

All those factors led to epic story telling and world building that captured the imagination of all aged players. And in my case at least, the nostalgia goggles make new games feel... unsatisfying.  nothing quite scratches that itch left by playing halo ce at my best mates place for the first time, or escaping the cops in a hotted up muscle car in NFS Underground 2.  

Secondly there really isnt much that hasnt already been done. military (loosely speaking) shooters have all been done, all the racers are near indistinguishable from one another, zombie games have been done to death, battle royale games are just the evolution of concepts used by most other shooters and are also already overdone, rts seems to have stagnated in recent years as most hardcore players are playing the older and more refined games.  Most genres just seem stale and unimaginative now that most big dev companies are just rehashing the same formula and selling it to casual demographics that are either new to the genre or those who are too die hard to leave it.

I personally always just thought new games seemed average because of my admittedly very rose tinted nostalgia goggles. but after searching for current gen games in the vein of NFS Most Wanted and Phantom Crash I was shocked to find that there really isnt anything on the market that has anything similar to those games at all. In the case of NFS there really isnt any other game that captures the raw adventure of making your way from the absolute bottom tier bombs and racing your way to a pimped out street machine. No where near the scale that the PS2 era ones did at least.

I honestly think that the lazy devving is in part due to a lack of imagination in a lot of the AAA studios, where (i presume) a lot of resources are spent on creating the graphical properties leaving the games soul feeling a little flat.

I also think a HUGE issue is micro transactions and loot crates. Studios like Rockstar arent going to replace GTA5 when the shark cards are raking them in millions upon millions every year (to their credit they do put a metric asston of free events and addons into that game for free, but my point stands).  Furthermore even decidedly average games are loaded to the utter brim with paid items that are raking in money for the studios, so of course they are going to market their games to the demographic thats spending the money.

I do think there are still absolutely stellar games coming out though, and even though a lot of them are a little rough around the edges I prefer an honest product made from the heart than a product made to convince me to spend even more money on addons.

I just hope that the skyrocketing sales of Crash Bandicoot N'Sane begins a trend of proper, accurate HD remakes of the games we all grew up loving.

hopefully that makes some sense, i did ramble a little

Yeah definitely. There are still great games coming out every now and then. But far too many games are dumb soulless 'me-too' shooters or uninspired design-by-committee sequels or generic unmemorable 'games as a service'. Now get off my lawn!

46 minutes ago, impure said:

Yeah definitely. There are still great games coming out every now and then. But far too many games are dumb soulless 'me-too' shooters or uninspired design-by-committee sequels or boring 'games as a service'. Now get off my lawn!

To defend games as a service... rainbow six siege is one done right. Everyone gets the new maps and yeah it takes a while to get the DLC operators but you can buy them for cheap. 

Anyway, for OP, I think you have to open your mind a bit about trying some games. The youtuber VideoGameDunkey is really into Indie games because he likes the passion behind independent small companies. Some games may seem stupid or not fun but until you give it a fair chance, you’ll never know. I listed a bunch of games & I hope you do take note of hoping to try them. I too have been disappointed by many games but there are many that have specific design choices that make them fun and different.