How to: Format / Initialize a HDD larger then 2TB.

How to: Format / Initialize a HDD larger then 2TB.

This tutorial will show you how to Initialize and format a brand new HDD larger then 2TB

A01%20No%20drive.PNG

If you have just installed the drive it will not show up on your computer yet.

This is because the drive needs to be initialized and formatted first.

If your HDD is already showing up as a 2TB drive then please use this tutorial Instead:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/94620-how-to-fix-3tb-hdd-showing-up-as-a-2tb-hdd/

Step 1:

type "diskmgmt.msc" in the windows search bar and open the program, preferably by right-clicking and selecting "Run as administrator".

A02%20start%20Diskmgmt.PNG

Step 2:

Once you opened the Disk Management it should immediately show you the "Initialize Disk" popup window.

It is very important that you select "GPT (GUID Partition Table)".

Press ok

A03%20initialize%20GPT.PNG

Step 3:

Now that the drive is initialized we need to format the drive.

Right click on the drive and select "New Simple Volume..."

A06%20new%20simple%20volume.png

Step 4:

Press next.

A07%20new%20simple%20volume.png

Step 5:

You can now set the partition size, this is set the the maximum size by default.

Press next.

A08%20new%20simple%20volume.png

Step 6:

Use the drop-down menu If you want to change the drive letter.

Press next

A09%20new%20simple%20volume.png

Step 7:

Next up you can fill in the drive name (Volume label)

Press next.

A10%20new%20simple%20volume.png

Step 8:

Press finish.

A11%20new%20simple%20volume.png

Victory:

Your drive is now formatted and you can use the whole drive instead of just the 2TB.

A12%20new%20simple%20volume.png

A13%20new%20simple%20volume.png

Please like this post if it was helpful.

looney

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

sweet sweet terabytes........oooooouuuuuhhhhhhhhh.
rainbow_puke_2.jpg

Grammar nazis are people too!
Treat your local grammar nazi nicely and he might teach you a thing or two. (Note that I'm Belgian and not a native English speaker.)
Chivalry isn't dead!

PS: though these topic are similar I decided to split them up so its easy for people to find this with the search engine / google.

(talking about this one: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/94620-how-to-fix-3tb-hdd-showing-up-as-a-2tb-hdd/)

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

Is that a 6tb HDD?????? :o

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

I think he's running them in raid.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Was a tutorial really needed for this?

Was a tutorial really needed for this?

It actually comes up a lot, people know that they need to do something different (GPT) but dont know what.

Now all they need is a quick search and the are done.

I think he's running them in raid.

I't clearly says 7TB HGST...

(VMware FTW)

I't clearly says 7TB HGST...

(VMware FTW)

O_O_O_O_O

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

Well, people also ask why their new HDD/SSD doesn't show up in OS...

Pop open Computer Management or Device Manager and Drive Management and see whats up?

It actually comes up a lot, people know that they need to do something different (GPT) but dont know what.

Now all they need is a quick search and the are done.

When initializing a a drive in widows it says GPT for discs larger than 2TB. I even think it says this in one of tour screenshots.

Pop open Computer Management or Device Manager and Drive Management and see whats up?

When initializing a a drive in widows it says GPT for discs larger than 2TB. I even think it says this in one of tour screenshots.

Default is MBR, and a lot of people don't read the GPT explanation just click ok.

I know most of us (including) will think this is the easiest thing in the world but that's not the case for everyone.

The bottom line is that this has come up on the forum a couple times and this should help for those who don't know.

Default is MBR, and a lot of people don't read the GPT explanation just click ok.

I know most of us (including) will think this is the easiest thing in the world but that's not the case for everyone.

The bottom line is that this has come up on the forum a couple times and this should help for those who don't know.

Thats kinda their own fault because that is why there is a description...

This is true. I personally just dont like how to guides. Also it seems that its what everyone wants now days so im having trouble finding info on anything but the basics covered in them anymore which never use to be an issue. Also I really need to find a place to ask tough stuff I dont know because when I have tried to ask it here it never really gets it figured out.

IKR... Just saw tons of posts asking for that :P

The other thing is not to be mean but a simple web search or even windows help could have told them how to do something like this...

Thats kinda their own fault because that is why there is a description...

This is true. I personally just dont like how to guides. Also it seems that its what everyone wants now days so im having trouble finding info on anything but the basics covered in them anymore which never use to be an issue. Also I really need to find a place to ask tough stuff I dont know because when I have tried to ask it here it never really gets it figured out.

The other thing is not to be mean but a simple web search or even windows help could have told them how to do something like this...

I am not disputing that this is very easy, but people have asked this on the forum in multiple topics so now all they have to do is search.

I don't see what's the problem here, if someone needs the tutorial its here now, if you don't need it then dont use it.

I agree that this is easy but that will never change the fact that people have asked about this and now I can reference to a LTT guide instead of a external site guide.

This forum is here to help and some people just need help with the basics.

If i'm not wrong, asus mobo's come with a tool called "disk unlocker".

I've never used it but I guess it does the same but with a single click :P

That is correct, that program does the same thing.

But this way people don't need to download anything.

Turns out it creates a virtual disk on top of the space that you could not create as partition. so now you have an additional virtual hdd that you can create partitions on.

Disk unlocker is mostly for OS's that dont support drives above 2Tb from what I remember.

Disk unlocker is mostly for OS's that dont support drives above 2Tb from what I remember.

As I edited in my post above: it creates a virtual disk on top of the space that you could not create as partition. so now you have an additional virtual hdd that you can create partitions on.

As I edited in my post above: it creates a virtual disk on top of the space that you could not create as partition. so now you have an additional virtual hdd that you can create partitions on.

didnt notice that, sorry

didnt notice that, sorry

I edited it after you made your post, I originally thought it just did the same as in the tutorial but then with the click of one button.

I edited it after you made your post, I originally thought it just did the same as in the tutorial but then with the click of one button.

Yea, nope. ASUS had to make something for those people who have new hardware but are still on a 10+ year old OS (at the time).