Seagate announces BarraCuda Consumer SSDs and they're a Timed Exclusive for Amazon Prime Customers

AlTech
49 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

RAID can also mean Redundant Array of Individual Disks. RAID isn't the only form of drive redundancy. Besides the umpteen levels of RAID, there is unRAID (which uses parity instead of striping like RAID uses), and others that are unique to server manufacturers. The redundancy scheme Backblaze uses was developed by and is unique to Backblaze. Backblaze is keeping its scheme a secret but it has far more redundancy and is probably far more complex than even the nested RAID levels to compensate for the higher failure rates of the cheaper drives Backblaze uses.

Btw, except for Backblaze, most, if not all, commercial servers use the far more expensive server grade drives despite using RAID or some other kind of redundancy rather use the extra redundancy that would be needed to compensate for higher failure rates.

The fact that many companies choose Enterprise drives isn't all that relevant as a lot just do whatever Dell/HP offer, and yes, today, RAID stands for both, but it was originally about inexpensive disks.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Why is Seagate only matching the prices of their competitors? We've had Crucial's MX500 for like two years at a better price. Seagate is simply touching the status quo for storage rather than trying to make it obtainable to the masses. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

34 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

RAID stands for both, but it was originally about inexpensive disks

Actually, which was first has been more hotly debated than the old chicken/egg topic. I lean more toward independent since RAID was needed more to increase the size of a data pool way back when drives were still tiny compared to now rather than to cut costs.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

1 hour ago, valdyrgramr said:

Other than Nvidia does anyone actually spam people letting them know there's any kinda update?  Not saying it's good or bad, but I don't see most companies going out of their way to let everyone know.  Usually, it's like LTT or another like OC3D addressing it.   Also, isn't the 7200.11 line like nearly a decade old and kinda irrelevant?  My point is that most people are clinging to older problems.  I'm not saying it's a good or bad or whatever, but at the same time, it's not really relevant to newer drives.  The most relevant I remember, in terms of failure/issues, was this...

Cumulative Hard Drive Failure Rates

I'd honestly avoid that 4tb Seagate like the plague.  xD But, it's not like every single Seagate drive coming out now has massive issues.  Ya, if you're looking for a 4TB definitely avoid that one with a high failure rate.  I'd suggest Toshiba or HGST if you want lower failure rates.  As for the warranty part/the part I forget to address since I was looking for that chart, okay ya that sounds like false advertising and something I could see people suing Seagate over.  

I'm avoiding all HDDs now. If I need any more 4TB drives, I'll get more 4TB SSDs to add to the stable of them I have now. xD All seriousness (?) aside, lugging all my backup HDDs to and from my Credit Union safe deposit box was destroying my back. SSDs are so much easier on my old carcass and take up a whole lot less room.

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

12 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Actually, which was first has been more hotly debated than the old chicken/egg topic. I lean more toward independent since RAID was needed more to increase the size of a data pool way back when drives were still tiny compared to now rather than to cut costs.

Originally in the late 80's David Patterson, Randy Katz and Garth Gibson published their tech report called  "A Case for Redundant Arrays of Inexpensive Disks"

https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~garth/RAIDpaper/Patterson88.pdf

It was about a bunch of inexpensive disks grouped into an array outperforming top of the line expensive disks of the time. I've always heard it as "inexpensive" but I can see how time marches on how the "I" in RAID could be considered "independent" since arrays of disks are the norm.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Razor Blade said:

Originally in the late 80's David Patterson, Randy Katz and Garth Gibson published their tech report called  "A Case for Redundant Arrays of Inexpensive Disks"

https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~garth/RAIDpaper/Patterson88.pdf

It was about a bunch of inexpensive disks grouped into an array outperforming top of the line expensive disks of the time. I've always heard it as "inexpensive" but I can see how time marches on how the "I" in RAID could be considered "independent" since arrays of disks are the norm.

JBOD or Bust

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

7 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Go back and reread the article you linked (assuming you even read it the first time). The author essentially said the same things I did only he drew the wrong conclusion. The reports only contain raw data without details such as the age of the drives, the drive models, etc.

what?  3 articles, all form professionals in the field and you call them all wrong?  I didn't know we had such omnipotence on this forum.

7 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

One has to compile data from several of the reports over time to draw any actual conclusions. Even then, the conclusions you can draw will only be broad percentages that will be somewhat skewed due to the varying sample sizes between brands and models.

What most people can gather without doing a lot of careful charting and tracking of reports from several years is to watch for trends from which broadly generalized conclusions can be drawn. One would also have to take into consideration the age of the drives that fail, someting not reflected in the charts but usually will appear in the footnotes, something most people seem to ignore.

A couple of other things the author missed was why Backblaze continues to use drives with high failure rates. First, by the time Backblaze finds out certain drives have high failure rates, they have already bought thousands of them. So what are they going to do? Throw them out without using them? it makes far more sense to go ahead and use them, espeically since they utilize enough redundancy to prevent data loss from the higher failure rates.

Second, Backblaze has a unique business plan that employs a proprietary redundancy scheme that allows the use of far less consumer drives that have higher failure rates, the theory being it will be less expensive in the long run to replace less expensive drives more frequently than to use higher priced serve grade drives that would last longer. Backblaze makes its own storage pods using a greater amount of redundancy to ensure protection from data loss due to the higher failure rates rather than use conventional servers that use conventional redundancy, such as RAID, unRAID, etc. I was skeptical when Backblaze first started up but, over time, their bizzare business plan has proven to be very successful.

I still maintain that the Backblaze reports are useful as long as people accept that they are just raw, uninterpreted data and treat it accordingly.

Just so you know, blackblaze is not only wrong in their report, but their methodology was shot down and there are claims many of the drives they tested were refurbished/secondhand. 

Blackblaze is literally the last source for anything useful when it comes to hdd information.

And here are some actual hdd return statistics from that time by a french mob who actually considered all brands and models:

https://www.hardware.fr/articles/893-6/disques-durs.html

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 7/7/2018 at 10:29 AM, 2Buck said:

Well, in my experience, Seagate has been horrible. Over the last almost decade, I've owned many drives from WD and Seagate, Never once had a WD die on me but I've had 7 Seagates die, one of which was a 1TB carrying very valuable data, and yes, I was an idiot who didn't back up back then.

Because of my horrible experiences, I never trust them with anything important. I'm sure I'm just being paranoid, but whatever. I have 3 1TB seagate barracudas that are probably perfectly fine, but I'm only ever gonna use them if I get desperate.

That's the thing. Everyone uses their anecdotal evidence to claim that x brand is better than y brand. Across the board, consumer hard drives have high failure rates. They used to be one of the most common things to die or develop problems in a PC. I've seen HDDs from every major brand die over the years from WD (had some of the worst, most annoying faults with WD drives), Seagate, Maxtor, IBM, Toshiba, Quantum, etc.

14 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

Basically, what happened was there was 3TB model sold in 2010 that failed by 2013 and it caused a class action lawsuit.  Ever since then people have been acting like anything Seagate makes is unreliable.  To be fair, they had a few other models that had some higher than normal failure rates, but that was like 2 others.  WD and Seagate are the two most people look at, but actually/iirc, it's WD's other brand HGST and Toshiba that have the lowest failure rates.  I'm not really loyal to any brand, but right now I'm mixing Toshiba, Seagate, WD, PNY, and a few others in a couple of systems.  I just get whatever is cheaper that has what I need.  My 3TB Barracuda from 2013 lasted me 5 years before it got the click of death, and my first WD blue was DOA.  Can't hold that against either of them because no line is going to have 100 percent perfect drives.  I'd also like to ask people who actually have experience with Seagate drives that failed is if they got basic consumer ones or far more reliable NAS/Server or big business ones, did they buy them new, or did they buy them from a 3rd party off Amazon, and so on.  Like, don't just tell us "Oh, I got this drive..and that's why it's unreliable!"  No, tell us all the other factors too.  I mean I even wonder if they have experience with the drives, or if they just got one DOA and then said.."Never again!  Fuck Seagate!"  xD 

Pretty much every major HDD company has had bad products at one time or another. There is a reason IBM's consumer Deskstar line earned the nickname Deathstar at one point.

16 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Why is Seagate only matching the prices of their competitors? We've had Crucial's MX500 for like two years at a better price. Seagate is simply touching the status quo for storage rather than trying to make it obtainable to the masses. 

Because they still need to make a profit and arent making complete garbage?

Once you reach a certain threshold for price, you cant go lower without making a net loss instead of profit. 

Contrary to the way the vast majority of consumers act, hardware manufacturers are not charities handing out things for free. We already have enough instantly e-waste grade electronics floating around. Better stuff would be better than cheaper stuff.

I can't believe we have 2TB ssd's already. it'll be 8TB before we know it... heck ppl might soon not even buy hard drives for normal use anymore if they get cheap enough and capacity keeps growing like it is

also is it just me but has general *need* for storage slowed down a bit lately, outside of the enterprise?

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

35 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I can't believe we have 2TB ssd's already. it'll be 8TB before we know it... 

They've had 4tb drives for a few years now

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Inch-Internal-MZ-76E4T0B-AM/dp/B07864XY8B/ref=dp_ob_title_ce?dpID=41qR7C253KL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=detail

Also:

https://www.engadget.com/2018/06/21/samsung-now-has-an-8tb-ssd-thanks-to-3d-memory-tech/ 8TB is already here (for data centers anyways)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

19 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I can't believe we have 2TB ssd's already. it'll be 8TB before we know it... heck ppl might soon not even buy hard drives for normal use anymore if they get cheap enough and capacity keeps growing like it is

also is it just me but has general *need* for storage slowed down a bit lately, outside of the enterprise?

Western Digital already has a 2TB M.2 Sata drive for sale, I don't know of another drive like it (their are NVME 2TB M.2 Drives)

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

9 hours ago, Derangel said:

That's the thing. Everyone uses their anecdotal evidence to claim that x brand is better than y brand. Across the board, consumer hard drives have high failure rates. They used to be one of the most common things to die or develop problems in a PC. I've seen HDDs from every major brand die over the years from WD (had some of the worst, most annoying faults with WD drives), Seagate, Maxtor, IBM, Toshiba, Quantum, etc.

Pretty much every major HDD company has had bad products at one time or another. There is a reason IBM's consumer Deskstar line earned the nickname Deathstar at one point.

Except for the fact that I never claimed anything, I clearly said that was all just my personal experience.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

2 hours ago, 2Buck said:

Except for the fact that I never claimed anything, I clearly said that was all just my personal experience.

Stating your personal experience is anecdotal evidence.

Jeannie

WTF? I bought my Crucial BX100 250 GB 2 years ago for 64$ NEW! I was expecting to buy 500 GB SSD after 3 years for the same price. It looks like prices are increasing not dicreasing?

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

30 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Stating your personal experience is anecdotal evidence.

No shit, but I didn't "use it" to claim that Seagate was more unreliable. Was simply saying that because I have had lots of Seagate failures I have developed a bias against them, that's not me trying to say "Seagate is factually bad".

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

26 minutes ago, mate_mate91 said:

WTF? I bought my Crucial BX100 250 GB 2 years ago for 64$ NEW! I was expecting to buy 500 GB SSD after 3 years for the same price. It looks like prices are increasing not dicreasing?

Yep, it's disappointing to say the least. But at least prices are coming down again, for a while a 240GB was almost 100$ again, but somehow they've managed to come back down to 50$, so maybe we'll finally start to see some progress again. Maybe.

On 7/7/2018 at 6:53 AM, WikiForce said:

where is 120GB model?

Honestly, I wouldn't buy a 120GB SSD. It's enough for a Windows 10 install and a few applications, but 120GB will fill up quickly.

I would imagine that's the main reason for companies dropping it from their lineups.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

13 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Honestly, I wouldn't buy a 120GB SSD. It's enough for a Windows 10 install and a few applications, but 120GB will fill up quickly.

I would imagine that's the main reason for companies dropping it from their lineups.

Yep, this. It's just like when 64GBs FINALLY went out of style. Only reason I went with a 120GB for my laptop is one, I don't do much on it and two, I got it for like 35 bucks and I was broke at the time.

On 07/07/2018 at 7:33 AM, AluminiumTech said:

250GB for $79.99 USD

haha... no.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Normal pricing, just another option for consumers. Dont see why its exclusive to amazon. Cut $20 of each tier and we can talk.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

13 minutes ago, Thony said:

Normal pricing, just another option for consumers. Dont see why its exclusive to amazon.

Apparently, it's cos they're starting off with limited production and they're gonna ramp up production later.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 6:59 AM, Spotty said:

@seagate_surfer Great to see you guys entering the consumer SSD market... But did you really have to carry on the "Barracuda" branding for it? New product line up should have a new name. Doesn't make much sense to me sharing product family names for your HDDs and your SSDs. There's plenty more fish in the sea you could have named it after.

Hello Spotty,

I cannot share further details but I can tell you that there are more SSDs to come! The name BarraCuda for this series is pretty much to label the drive with a name that can be recognized by the market as the series that is usually asked to deliver and it does deliver as much as possible to end users at the lowest possible price, as well as his older brother. 

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming