Seagate announces BarraCuda Consumer SSDs and they're a Timed Exclusive for Amazon Prime Customers

AlTech

Seagate is announcing new BarraCuda Consumer SSDs. Traditionally the BarraCuda line has been reserved for their HDDs which have been somewhat controversial.

Seagate has pretty much always been a major player in the storage market, where they're known primarily for their hard drives. They haven't been completely absent from the SSD market, but they have focused almost exclusively on the enterprise SSD market. It has been quite a while since we've seen a consumer-oriented SSD from Seagate, but the new BarraCuda SATA SSD brings them back into play.

The BarraCuda SSD comes with minimal technical specs, but what we have so far points to a mainstream SATA drive that probably uses current-generation 64L 3D TLC NAND flash memory and a controller with the usual DRAM cache. The internals may offer a hint as to Seagate's plans for the consumer SSD market: if the BarraCuda is just a Silicon Motion reference design, then Seagate may not be very serious about competing in this market segment. If they've written their own firmware for a Silicon Motion or Marvell controller, then the BarraCuda is more likely to be an interesting competitor and less likely to be another one-off product.

Their new SSDs are SATA based and they top out at Up To 540MB/s Read and Up To 520MB/s Write.

Storage Capacities and MSRP are as follows:

• 250GB for $79.99 USD
  • 500GB for $129.99 USD
  • 1TB for $249.99 USD
  • 2TB  for $499.99 USD

barracuda_678x452.jpg

Source: Anandtech

But of course, the best part is yet to come.

Seagate has had the "courage" to launch their new SSDs as Timed Exclusives for Amazon Prime customers. Consumers wishing to purchase the BarraCuda SSDs from a different retail outlet will need to wait until September. 

GG :D.LMAO.

Source:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13044/seagate-announces-barracuda-consumer-sata-ssd

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Sweet some nice cheap SSD's. They could be even cheaper though.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

2 minutes ago, WereCat said:

The price is very close to the Samsung 850 EVO and the Crucial MX500 is even cheaper.

So unless this one can compete with these two I really dont see the appeal unless it becomes cheaper.

I listed the MSRP but currently the actual prices are $5-30 cheaper on Amazon Prime.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, WikiForce said:

i must say, really impressive pricing.
BTW, where is 120GB model?

As far as I can tell, they aren't planning on selling a 120GB Consumer SSD at this time.:P

I think Samsung also dropped the 120GB model for their 860 EVO lineup.

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I listed the MSRP but currently the actual prices are $5-30 cheaper on Amazon Prime.

Yes, it looks like its $120 on Prime (the 500GB).

The MX500 500GB is $110.

Samsung 860 EVO is $112.

Samsung 850 EVO is $136 for some reason.

2 minutes ago, WikiForce said:

i must say, really impressive pricing.
BTW, where is 120GB model?

I dont think it is feasible to make 120GB models anymore. It wouldnt be much cheaper since youre starting to go into diminishing returns with manufacturing cost and material cost.

My 3 year old OCZ Vertex does slightly better (Crystal disk mark). So for me at least-not worth it.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Knowing Seagate it probably catches fire after a month... :P

It’s funny because Seagate being unreliable is a complete myth. 

Meanwhile, I do really like the design. We need more parts like this, just blackout without an obnoxious logo splattered across it. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

27 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Meanwhile, I do really like the design. We need more parts like this, just blackout without an obnoxious logo splattered across it. 

Shame Maxtor and WD were more common in the early 90's-I'd probably have a functioning 80MB Seagate as well *looks at 14/15 year old RAID 0 array*.

PMSL

31 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

InB4 someone posts that blackblaze debacle of a report. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Guess which ST2000 has the active cooling (the ST3200 are just old and showing it):
Capture.PNG.dfd5a15600bcb756b6d37a545737908f.PNG

Spoiler

Its the ST2000DM001, which came near its thermal limits in its original caddy - 58oC

@Christophe Corazza

Still no flames.

PMSL

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Guess which ST2000 has the active cooling (the ST3200 are just old and showing it):
Capture.PNG.dfd5a15600bcb756b6d37a545737908f.PNG

Reveal hidden contents

Its the ST2000DM001, which came near its thermal limits in its original caddy - 58oC

@Christophe Corazza

Still no flames.

2dm164? 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

@seagate_surfer Great to see you guys entering the consumer SSD market... But did you really have to carry on the "Barracuda" branding for it? New product line up should have a new name. Doesn't make much sense to me sharing product family names for your HDDs and your SSDs. There's plenty more fish in the sea you could have named it after.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, VegetableStu said:

it's funnier because the PC hardware group I lurk in still does this xD

The internet is a petri dish that grows tropes into fully fledged narratives that will not die.  The worst bit is they are perpetuated by people who think they know better.

13 minutes ago, mr moose said:

2dm164? 

Yep.

PMSL

18 minutes ago, Spotty said:

@seagate_surfer Great to see you guys entering the consumer SSD market... But did you really have to carry on the "Barracuda" branding for it? New product line up should have a new name. Doesn't make much sense to me sharing product family names for your HDDs and your SSDs. There's plenty more fish in the sea you could have named it after.

Seagate prefer to use some variation of Barracuda now instead of different names (eg. Medalist, Decathlon, U) or no name at all.

PMSL

1 hour ago, TheRandomness said:

It’s funny because Seagate being unreliable is a complete myth...

Like heck it is. While Seagate appears to have cleaned up its act for now (I've read good things about the IronWolf series), they came out with some real duds from time to time (remember the 7200.11s?) and handled the fallout from the duds poorly. I got bit by the 7200.11 debacle...twice. Had two, both died within a year.

I don't follow HDD news and development much anymore since I use only SSDs now.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

59 minutes ago, mr moose said:

There was nothing wrong with the Backblaze reports as long as people understood what was being reported. The only problem was people not using them properly. All those reports did was report raw failure data with each report not accounting for HDD age, quality, etc. One had to study several reports over a few years to be able to interpret trends. Instead, people would read just the latest report and draw conclusions from it as though the failures were equally weighted. Seagate showed higher failure numbers simply because Backblaze used a huge number of the cheapest Seagates they could lay their hot little hands on (at one point, they were shucking external drives due to the alleged HDD shortage from the Thai floods). One had to consider the age of the drives at the time of failure, something not accurately tracked by the reports other than an occasional comment at the end of the report.

If one would chart failures over several reports, accounting for dive quality and age at the time of failure, and drawing a bottom line as a percentage indicating trends (something the vast majority of people either didn't understand how to do or the need to do so, or they just couldn't be bothered to do), then the reports would have been a useful indicator of drive reliability. 

Keep in mind the Backblaze reports were (and, as far as I know, still are) the only wide scale ones being made available to people so they are to be commended for them, even if they only had raw, barebones data.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

Not super on topc but I noticed the mention of silicon motion and marvell controllers for this SSD, what the hell happened to sandforce? They were the defacto controller for years, the they got bought and now you don't hear shit about them.

Actually, apparently seagate should own them, since LSI bought sandforce and then seagate bought LSI's flash division?

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

Should be cheaper. Good to see them in SSD market though. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 hour ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Like heck it is. While Seagate appears to have cleaned up its act for now (I've read good things about the IronWolf series), they came out with some real duds from time to time (remember the 7200.11s?) and handled the fallout from the duds poorly. I got bit by the 7200.11 debacle...twice. Had two, both died within a year.

I don't follow HDD news and development much anymore since I use only SSDs now.

My current Seagate 2TB drive (model number ST2000DM001) has been chugging along since I got it about 4 years ago, and it hasn't even shown signs of any fault yet. I had a 1TB drive fail on me, but that was due to user error. I've never really had any bad experiences with Seagate drives at all.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

My current Seagate 2TB drive (model number ST2000DM001) has been chugging along since I got it about 4 years ago, and it hasn't even shown signs of any fault yet. I had a 1TB drive fail on me, but that was due to user error. I've never really had any bad experiences with Seagate drives at all.

I have a 1TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD from 2014 and a 2TB Seagate BarraCuda drive from this year and both are working just fine.

This whole "Seagate drives are unreliable" thing is not at all what I've experienced granted I haven't owned HDDs for too long.

6 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

This whole "Seagate drives are unreliable" thing is not at all what I've experienced granted I haven't owned HDDs for too long.

Where did that shit even come from? I've never had a Seagate drive bust on me, only drive that died on me was a WD 3TB drive.